Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Yeah I agree, we should indeed invest some more in the DF.

But not out of guilt, shame or some newly invented obligation pulled from an arse.

And also not because some gun nuts that cant get past their cool military equipment phase.

The above in response to the freeloader bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sounding like oul paisley there with your Never, never, never speech.

Wether you like it or not defense spending will increase and we could very well apply to become nato members,we are already part of Nato programs and we're previously approached about becoming members of Nato

Sure. Let me know when it happens Arnold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The sands are shifting.

I wouldn't be putting my name next to snarkey and dismissive posts when the reality and public sentiment is changing in front of your eyes.

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2022/08/28/public-divided-on-nato-membership-new-poll-shows/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Interesting to note that the EU is at the early stages of a mechanism whereby member state armies will be providing training to the Ukrainian army in a capacity building measure.

There are already voices in the neutrality über alles chorus insisting this violates Irish neutrality.

If that's the interpretation of Irish neutrality we're working off, count me out.

The Irish Defence Forces should absolutely be participants in this capacity building measure from the EU wherever they can add value.

70% against by this poll.

Far more likely we'll be part of an agreed and formalized EU military coalition, probably an extension of csdp.

At that point, once duties and expectations are formally outlined we might then one day be in a position where we fail and then can rightly be called freeloaders by self hating p.... laddies. (not referring to you btw).

Plus, the absence of our dear neighbors from one group, and their membership of the other group, is really going to guide the voter.

And that (eu coalition) is something id be all for.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The same was Said recently about the invasion of Ukraine that wasn't going to happen according to randomers on Boards.

But hey wouldn't be the first time someone around here has been wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Regardless if 70% are against NATO membership doesn't make it right. Maybe from a democratic perspective of a majority, but certainly not from a military perspective.

Neutrality guarantees absolutely nothing for Ireland, and this is regardless, if 70% are against NATO membership. And military and war is rarely about democracy, but the will of the stronger power.

Ireland would have to either increase military spending, similar like Switzerland, and yes this includes fighter jets.

Or Ireland should join NATO.

And on the question, who should attack Ireland, I am sure, the Russians would be keen to have a foothold on an island strategically positioned in the Atlantic. And if this idea sounds crazy, yes, it also sounded crazy that Russia invaded the Ukraine before the war, or Hitler invading Poland and Russia.

Incidentally it's the RAF and the ( historically ) much hated Brits who defend Irish airspace with fighter jets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ireland has too choices.

A) Spend enough to defend our own territory, resources, assets and most importantly people.

The skies, the seas, the environment, the pipelines, the data, the networks, the telecommunications, the roads, the airports.

Or

B) Join an alliance that together has the wherewithal to do that collectively, wherever within the alliance the threat is.

The choice of C) none of the above, is bo longer an option.

And to be honest I think being in NATO is just as much a constraint on actually protecting our interests as the current triple-lock policy is.

I'd much sooner see us do A) but I think we may finish up being bounced into B) out of necessity.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. One could say, we don't need a fire engine, because we don't have a fire, and rains are frequent in Ireland anyway. And then there is a fire, and no rain, and then what?

In the end, every neutral country in Europe should join NATO. The Swiss do have a good military, but their banking system is a bit dodgy. In WW2 harbouring Nazi money, and now harbouring Russian money with the excuse of neutrality. At least they spend enough on their military.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a lot dodgy.

And its because they never want anyone outside to know how dodgy, that they spend so much on their military.

Not for any dodginess, but Ireland is approaching the same position in Data and Comms as Switzerland is for banking. We have an obligation to our resident companies and our investors and we aren't taking it seriously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And on the question, who should attack Ireland, I am sure, the Russians would be keen to have a foothold on an island strategically positioned in the Atlantic. And if this idea sounds crazy, yes, it also sounded crazy that Russia invaded the Ukraine before the war, or Hitler invading Poland and Russia.

These are not remotely comparable scenarios but to point out just the most basic problem - the geographic difference in the scenarios is monumental.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

And all but two NATO members are positioned between Russia and Ireland so would have significant interest in making sure that Russia didn't get to invade Ireland.

And regardless of anything which might trigger NATO collective action, both the US and UK at a minimum would respond in a second to Ireland asking for help. Ireland might get their nickers in a twist a bit about asking the UK for military assistance, but it would absolutely be provided as it would be 100%in their interest to provide the assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Russia wouldn't necessarily want to invade Ireland. They would only do so if they needed a base to disrupt NATO supply lines so I wouldn't rule it out.

What is definitely possible are air strikes or tactical nukes to disable the runways at Dublin and Shannon, and some bombing of port infrastructure in what could be termed a denial of service attack, making those facilities unusable and unavailable to NATO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

You are deeply overestimating the importance of Shannon and Dublin airports and this scenario only has a remotely plausible chance of happening if Russia is already at war with NATO. Otherwise what on earth would be the point?

Throw in Cork, Knock and maybe Baldonnell too. Plus they would probably be ground bursts as well to crater the runways which would vastly increase the radioactive fallout. Anybody downwind of these targets would be dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, forgot about Knock, that is a long runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I am not in favour of joining NATO but we definately need to invest more in our Defense forces to be able to defend ourselves or even to control our seas and airspace. I mean we left it to the Cork fishermen to see off the Russian navy!

• Advertisement

Russia is very likely incapable of invading Ireland. (and the western foothold theory is nonsense)

Russians only ever enter Irish airspace or maritime space to mess with nato. Which is what the RAF "defend" us from, a problem which is part of their own geopolitical business in the first place. Gee thanks for picking up your own dogs mess in my garden, awful good of you.

We lack the budget to ever invest in enough aircraft to deter Russia. If Russia was intent on attacking us they'd just send an extra aircraft to cancel out whatever we had. If we put up 5 jets they'd send an extra 10.

If 70% are against nato membership it doesn't matter whether you think its right.

Nato sure don't need us, and we don't need nato. We have EU common defense for any Russia related issues. We don't need to add Nato into the mix, its run by the US, and they elect industry sponsored nutters. And I've no desire for our country to be another voiceless junior partner and small cog in their military machine.

Also Ive no desire for our country to be militarily aligned with Britain for many obvious reasons.

The trouble with inviting the UK in to 'defend us' is that we might find it hard to get rid of them afterwards. I understand your agrument re the number of jets we might have versus an invader but we should at least have a few to 'mark our space'. How else are we to know what is going on in our backyard even in normal times.

The govt say they're going to spend on radar. And we have surveillance aircraft. If UK act up we just text Ursula.

Also to restate, its the UK defending the UK, not us. From their/natos geopolitical rival. We just happen to be in the way.

Russia's not targeting Offaly.

Regardless, even if 90% of Irish are against NATO membership, fact is, neutrality rarely helped in case of war and conflict.

Belgium was neutral in WW1 but saw the fiercest battles, Ypres, Passchendaele, etc..

The Netherlands wanted to be neutral in WW2, but were overrun by the Nazis.

Norway was neutral in WW2 and was occupied by the Nazis as well.

The threat is always as big and as well as how badly the hostile country wants to take over your own country. The reasons for doing so might not be understandable for the country falling victim to the hostile country.

If somebody, say the Russians decided that the island of Ireland is of interest to them, as it's a strategically positioned country in the Atlantic than they would invade, neutrality or not doesn't interest somebody with hostile intentions.

Ukraine was sort of neutral at some point before the war, but it didn't help them either.

Fact is, neutrality is not a strategy for defense, it'll never be, even if 90% of Irish think it is. War is not a democracy, it's a game of the stronger one. In case of war one needs to have more than good friends to supply with arms and ammunition, that is if one has a capable military. Or one can rely on NATO membership and their expertise as a deterrent.

And who would attack and invade Ireland? You think this question is funny and to be laughed about? You won't laugh if it actually happens.

What do invaders do? Arrest and deport critics, torture, robbing valuables and raping women. Invasions are rarely a nice social call and a few drinks in the pub and a departure at some point.

Is it though, or are you full of hype.

EU has our back. We dont need nato.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I doubt anyone's ability to invade Ireland. Other than the UK retreating from a hostile force coming from Europe, or the US looking for a base from which to launch an invasion of UK/ Europe which has been taken by a hostile force, Ireland is just a lump of land in the middle of nowhere with no resources that would be useful to plunder.

If a force hostile to the UK/ US/ Western Europe were to try and take Ireland as a base to then attack UK/ Europe then they would very easily be wiped out by the UK/US/ Europe as nobody would have safe supply lines to support their invasion of Ireland, and none of the UK/ Europe would allow a hostile force to take Ireland and establish a safe base from which to then properly attack themselves from.

The only point at which Ireland becomes a viable place to invade is once the rest of Europe has fallen or been destroyed by some other means. And at that point having been part of NATO or not make no difference as NATO will no longer exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Whats to stop a load.of Russian destroyers or aircraft landing up in a port in Ireland, if things got tense?

Only recently they entered our waters and we could do nothing.

• Advertisement

What do they do once they arrive?

Do you really see the US/ UK standing by and not at absolute minimum blockading them in wherever they happen to arrive. How do they then do anything more?

Advertisement