Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10kWh LifePO4 DIY Battery Addition..... Here is my write up.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

You shouldn't 16s2p the calbs and the 280's

As they are physically different sizes would making pairing them up physically difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,927 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Can you even have two seperate 16S BMS connected to the one inverter, wouldnt you need some sort of shunt or DC:DC converter? The voltages wouldnt match.

I have 4 dyness batteries that are 15S config and I plan to sell them when I get the calb cells because I can't join them together.

It's the exact same as the 4 dryness, when they are all connected they are all at the same voltage (or will quickly equalise when connected)

That's why you can't mix and match a 16s with a 15s

Andy has a video about it when he connects a 100% battery with a 50% battery

https://youtu.be/meLDpYT65yo

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I have two packs in parallel, one 50kWh, the other 5kWh. Not always are they both connected to the inverter, but exactly like @graememk says, if you connect one and some time later the other one, they then very quickly equalise the voltages. Has to be the same chemistry and the same number of cells in series though. Mine are all 16S. Both my packs have their own BMS but I have only coms between the large pack BMS and the inverter. The small pack does its own thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

So I have my DIY batteries working for a few weeks now. Been busy at work so not been able to monitor in much detail but I can see by number of KW going in and out each day that it seems to be operating between sensible charge levels. I have ordered a capacity tester to take a closer look but ultimately for now it's doing fine and hopefully it doesn't turn out I'm pushing them too hard (if it turned out their capacity was less than it should be).

will post a write up similar to OP when I have time. If I can DIY a battery literally anyone reading this thread can. It will be significantly cheaper, albeit there is a trade off of your time. I'd build a second one in a fraction of the hours, as most of the time first time around is the learning (reading, YouTube, and being cautious checking each step several times before executing).

definitely a satisfying little project

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 mariadumitruiulian

Guys I just want to share with you my build, together with some tips and tricks for beginners(like me).

I started to look into buying a Pylontech 5000US battery, and ended up in building my own 15KW DIY battery which I am very proud of...

Supplies:

Batteries ordered from NKON in February, I got 280A CALB aluminum ones, which were all tested by them(and me) to over 300A each.

Seplos BMS 150A with LCD and Bluetooth ordered from AE Minerals store

Battery box built from 18mm plywood bought and cut in B&Q, painted in gloss black paint

6 X 8mm threaded rods with ~ 100KgF springs(when compressed to ~ 45%)

NEEY active balancer

3D printed case for Seplos BMS and support for NEEY active balancer

25mm cables with 6mm and 8mm connectors (6mm for battery terminal, circuit breaker, inverter and BMS, 8MM for other connections like terminal blocks)

4mm connectors for balancer and bms wires.

Flexible chopboards as insulator between batteries, bought from Homestoreandmore

transparent hose for threaded rods

100A circuit breaker (changed with 150A one).

A lot of valuable information from this thread, thank you guys!

The build:

I started with the box, I cut and built the box , it's very sturdy, and the plate where the springs are is floating, it doesn't touch any other side of the box, to allow for movement if needed. However, after charging the batteries to 100% the movement measured was 0 , so no, or very little expansion.

After the box was finished, I started to fit the batteries with insulation and the threaded rods (which are protected with transparent hose to avoid battery damage) and then the springs. The seller of the springs(40mm length) is claiming 128kgf if compressed over 50%, I only compressed them 18mm, so I expect somewhere around 100KGF for each).

The next step was to prepare the connection between batteries, as I didn't want to add the BMS and balancer wires to the battery terminals, therefore I made M3 thread on each busbar for these connections.

Nest step was to prepare wires, all wires (BMS, balancer, battery, BMS, Inverter) are crimped then soldered(where possible). After all connections were done and checked I pressed the reset button on BMS and started... not from the first time as I had few issues, but I'll explain that next.

Final result:

Issues I've run through(note that this is my first contact with a BMS, battery cells etc...):

• When I powered up the BMS a message on the screen with the text "Abnormal Communication" was showing up, and Bluetooth didn't work. I went back to the seller and they advised that this functions have to be enabled with the Battery Monitor app, so everything worked after I did this, but I spent few hours looking for a solution.
    • After previous issue was resolved I started to charge the battery, but inverter wend into error short time after, so I had to reduce the charging current to 90A (100 by default). After this inverter was fine, but the 100A breaker was tripping. I reduced to 80A, but still tripping, then reduced further more to 75, then 70A where tripping stopped). Ordered now a 150A circuit breaker.
    • on the first charge after I reached maximum voltage on a cell and the the SOC was reset to 100%, then I started to discharge the battery in my car to do the first calibration of SOC, but SOC was staying at 100% all the time. I went back to Seplos and they gave me their engineer contact. After I sent him the history log he quickly replied telling me that the B- and P- have to be reversed. I knew about that, but I always had the impression that for negative is only one connection point, and it doesn't matter where the wires are connected on this connection point... Apparently it does, as I swapped the cables and everything was fine after another full charge...

Now battery is fully functional, so I just enjoy the free energy also during the night now :). Next project is to connect BMS, balancer and inverter to Home Assistant ( another great thing I recently discovered, and already made a lot of great things with it as I have a lot of smart devices around, and now I can control and check all in the same place).

Pictures here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/wDDgsPL

I hope you like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,927 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Great writeup and photos. Love the box you built, it makes it look a lot tidier!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Very neat job, recently got a 6kW solar system and already would like more battery capacity. How much do you reckon the entire set up cost you?

I estimate everything under 3k, but I had to buy some tools as well like torque wrench, crimping tool (normal and hydraulic), etc, so it may be cheaper if you already have them...

But I got cells which are over 300A, they came in at the same charge level so balancing was easy(I never did a separate balance, I let the NEEY do the balance and they are within 4-5 mV difference (except when they are close to full charge) and I'm very happy with everything I did. If I would have to do it again I'd do it the same, no change ... maybe just a little bit to box design, but that's all... It became fully operational on Friday and since then i only imported ~ 3 kw(due to electric shower), and consumed over 45Kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Love this. That looks very neat and tidy and have to say is enticing me to follow the same.

Be careful about swapping that 100a breaker out for a 150A. Depends a little on the inverter, but you may be opening yourself to trouble there if the inverter can't handle it. That said a 100A breaker shouldn't be tripping at 80A, so maybe you have a faulty breaker? I'd probably replace the 100a with another 100a unless your sure your good across the board with wire guages, etc.

Respect.

• Advertisement

Well I have 25mm2 wires all-around which are rated for 170A ... I was looking for a 120A breaker which would be more suitable but couldn't find one to be the same shape as the one I have, as otherwise I'll have to open everything and redo some of the wires... Maybe I'll try to get the seller to replace the 100A one and change it again ...

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

A little worried. I ordered from PWOD last week and they've sent me a tracking number which shows the battery's leaving China,as opposed to Poland previously. I hope this doesn't mean customs.....

Anyone else had theirs route this way?

Btw, OP here, upgrading to 16S2P 😜

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I do like it, now do it again! we all undershoot first time around 😂

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

...where will this be located, just noting the sealed box so many avoid high temps in the Summer?

and can you share the NKON link to the exact batteries you got please

They come via Poland

China > Poland (my last set was belguim! Though) > you

Did you get a ups tracking number too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I used this https://solartricity.ie/battery-storage-125a-isolator/ in the past when I was using the Solis, but then again you won't be pushing out 100a for more than 15mins if you have a Solis anyway so no worry of the cables heating up or getting near the breaker trip point.

Also, you're putting a lot of faith into that Tuya smoke detector 🤣

Is in the Attic, but the box has small vents all-round , just under the top cover. If getting too hot I can lift the cover a bit, and even add a small cooler to move the hot air.

I already have a 120A breaker in my Amazon basket(same shape), found it from another seller, and inverter is limited to 90A charge/discharge so I should be OK.

That smoke detector is there just because I had it lying around, as I have wired smoke detectors everywhere in the house. I may buy another smoke detector and add it above battery/inverter, but I don't rely on this one. The inverter is mounted on a fireproof board, and I will use something similar everywhere around that area. I also have a camera so I can see the Battery and inverter, see the view from camera:

Make sure you buy a DC breaker, not an AC one.

Or you can add a fused disconnect like this one: https://www.solartradesales.co.uk/keto-battery-disconnector-100a-fuses

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

• Advertisement

Did you measure from empty/full how much kwh the bank can take? Curious of the full capacity.

300ah (OP says tested) x 3.2v x 16cells = 15.4kWh. Usable depends on Inverter and BMS setup

I set up the capacity to 300Ah, I have charging limit set to 3.55V(So not 100% full, but close to), I discharged a little bit over 270Ah until inverter stopped discharge(10% remaining) and the lowest voltage was ~ 3.15V when battery entered waiting mode so that 10% could be even 15% ...

So ~ 14KW discharged until 10% ...

Any idea how I can leave the BMS decide when to stop discharge? Currently limit is 10% in Inverter and can't be set lower, so can't get lower than 10% theoretical capacity. In order to get the real capacity I should discharge until the low voltage alarm is triggered, then BMS will show the real capacity of the pack.

So if we go with discharge to 10% it's about 14ish kwh usable, not bad.

The price is not as decent as from China from NL, but to be honest if I can be guaranteed A-grade and 300ah it might be worth the extra cost, and for the usual CALBs you need 32 cells for 20kwh anyway, so you save on space too as you can get 30kwh for 32 cells.

The only thing holding me back is the s**t show that is the seplos.

We need a proper BMS and active balancer that just works 100% of the time all the time, without these silly hacks.

Once set-up, Seplos is very good, and I got the NEEY balancer anyway so I have everything I need. Having a BMS that talks with inverter is a must if you ask me... and Seplos is doing that...

Maybe it just doesn't work right with the Solis? I have seen people getting errors all the time when getting close to 100% and have to wait for a bit to start discharging etc.

I'd love to see a 100% seplos/neey combo working on a sunsynk 😀

I have a Seplos working 3 months with 32 200ah PWOD setup via a ME3000. They are within 4milli volt at full charge, happy with that.

never took a photo, was only looking at the decimal places

• Advertisement

If they were above 3.4/3.5 your good, 3.39x isn't a real indication.

Advertisement