Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG 55" OLED TV - CS6 SERIES €990

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭shovel

Has anyone figured out how to reorder the irish channels please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭jj880

This was posted earlier in the thread. Havent tried it yet as Im using IPTV on an android box but will do it as sometimes the IPTV does go offline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Totally walking off topic, but don't knock them until you try them :D

I have a Yamaha 5.1 setup, great sound, but wanted something different for the sitting room as the kid kept going at the single front speakers at the TV. Went for one of the Samsung ATMOS bars with wireless rears. Soundbar is heavy so doesn't move as easy. Its a 7.1.4 setup now. It was I think €1200 with a €300 cashback offer.

I know its not really atmos as the speakers are up-firing, but with the correct movie it add's so much.

I've had the Yamaha soundprojectors (YSP) and it would easily give a 5.1 setup in a smaller living room environment a run for its money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Exactly!

I've had various multi-speaker systems through the years, some costing serious money. Our current system is a Sonos Beam and Sub Gen 3 with two IKEA (Sonos) bookshelf speakers as wireless rears. The sound is easily the equal to a mid range separates system. Listening to an orchestra all instruments can be clearly heard with great depth and spatial separation. Vocals are distinct with good tone. What this setup does lack is the spatial height of a quality Atmos system, particularly when watching action films. I hope to solve that with a Gen 2 Sonos Arc, once that is released. (It really isn't that big a deal for us, but is definitely a drawback if you're big into watching that type of film.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Zardoz

How do you know I haven't tried Soundbars ???

You spent 1200 euro on a Soundbar, am I reading that correctly ? Thats mad money.

In general Soundbars are terrible value in comparison to the same outlay in proper speakers.

Not saying your system isnt good, just that soundbars are very poor value in general.

Right you are. I'll try again.

Goto Settings => General => Program Manager => Edit All Programmes

Select a channel you want to move from the All programmes list.

Click the -Move option under the inset screen playing the current channel on the right hand side.

Move the channel up/down in the All programmes list with the remote control.

Press the Ok middle button on the remote control when you have the channel where you want it.

Repeat for more channels if required:

Post edited by jj880 on

Was able to register my TV online with Irish address/eircode thanks to previous posts in this thread.

Only thing is on all the documents shipped with this TV and the info on lg.com/uk say the 12 month warranty is only available in the UK.

Is there somewhere else I should be registering this TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Zardoz

A 12 month warranty is very odd.

The EU minimum for electrical items is 2 years I'm fairly sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

The rest of us don't have a move option under DTV? How do you?

• Advertisement

Not sure - only thing I can think of is I watched a tutorial video on the best picture settings. First thing in it was update the OS which I did. Heres my OS version:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Raoul

And what about the best picture setting? What did you find?

The video was very good. Most of it was turning off power saving options. I found picture was a lot better afterwards. I didnt follow all of the advice just took what I thought was best for my living room as there are some windows close to my TV. I dont run the pixel cleaner as he states the video it runs automatically in standby. Video is for LG C1 but as far as I could see settings are all similar. Here it is:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Correct. A warranty can give you extra protection, but it doesn't replace your statutory rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

Yeah I have the same version, mine is the C2 though. Do you have your TV set to Ireland or UK? I have mine set to UK for Freesat.

I selected Ireland during setup and I use antenna DTV only as Im on the Donegal / Derry border. The NI and saorview antenna signals are good where I am. 142 channels combined all in 1 channel list so dont have to use the freesat mode if that makes any difference...

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

I just go a call for delivery to West Cork tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I had a couple of Sonos Play speakers that I was doing nothing with. (I loved the sound but found their connection to network too unreliable to be of use. Even wired).

I swore off sonos for years. But I decided to give another chance with Sonos Arc and dug out the Plays. Fantastic. Sure, may not be as good as having separate speakers on stands away from walls (which you should do for optimal surround sound). But FAR more practical. Whether it is them connecting to the bar or simply my change in network hardware, I haven't had save network issues

As for the TV. I always turn off all smoothing etc on my teles. I HATE that soap opera effect. It really catches my eye in a bad way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Yeah, the ease of use with Sonos is fantastic. I simply couldn't be bothered with a wired setup, when we moved house. I had a Acoustimass® 15 Series II which I gave away. It had served me well, and owed me nothing. I intended the Beam as a stopgap, only. However, when paired with the sub it gives a pretty decent soundstage.

The Sonos also gives us voice controlled multiroom audio which is another bonus. (At a certain age, one wants to start thinking ahead. :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

• Advertisement

I was wondering why sometimes I heard a click when turning off my TV at the plug. Obviously I now know the auto pixel refresher was running. I will try to leave the TV on standby until I hear the pixel refresher click off (or 10 minutes if Im not in the room). Sometimes though I will need to leave the house immediately after putting the TV in standby so will turn off the plug before the auto pixel refresher is finished. Will this do the TV any harm over time or is it no big deal?

Edit: some good info and tips here for pixel health:

https://www.lg.com/eg_en/tvs/oled-tvs/oled-reliability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

If you mains power off the TV during a pixel refresh the process is restarted on powering back up. This can cause permanent damage to the TV. The process occurs after so many hours so unplugging before or after the process if fine.

For longevity, modern electronics are best left plugged in 24/7.

Dont think I can leave the TV plugged in overnight or when Im away from the house for a few days. Maybe Im picking you up wrong. When you say 24/7 do you really mean 24/7?

What Im thinking of doing is getting a set of usb powered led backlights for the TV. Im pretty sure if the pixel refresh is running the lights will remain lit until after a refresh. Once the led lights go out I can be certain the refresh has finished. Even if I dont use them while watching the TV I can use them to check when the pixel refresh is complete. Then I can power off at the plug.

You leave your fridge plugged in all the time. That's far greater risk that a standby TV and you don't give it a moment's thought.

That is true. Its gona be hard to change a lifetime habit though but I'll have to try. For now Im gona get the led backlights anyway just to be certain I know when the refresh has finished.

Fyi another reason I unplug electronics is in the past Ive had power surges destroy PSUs during the night. Obviously this is now a different scenario. It seems the probability of damage to the TV from interrupting the pixel refresh is much greater than a damaged psu from a surge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭ongarite

What would you unplug the TV every night or going away for a few days?

LG OLED uses between 0.5 to 1.5W in standby mode, there are EU regulations on this so cost is miniscule.

24 hours on standby would cost <1 cent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Anyone able to install the file manager on this. All documentation say go to lg content store , then tools , and then file manager. There is no “tools” option that I can find.

Safety and blown PSUs from surges. Like previous poster said "what about the fridge?" which is a fair point. I guess I think better to have 1 appliance plugged in over night than several. Maybe its daft but like I said its a habit at this stage. Just remembered I already have a set of led lights here I can use to make sure the pixel refresh is finished. I wont be sticking them to the back of the TV frame though.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭Soarer

If you're worried about surges, this 4-gang lead for €11 from Argos solves your problem.

Life's too bloody short to be switching things on and off.

• Advertisement

I agree life's too short. Just a point on these extension leads. My father is a retired electrician. His opinion is this type of surge protector extension lead is useless. Damage already done before these leads do anything. A marketing gimmick. Proper surge protection costs a lot more.

Im curious is there any other reason to leave this TV plugged in? Another process that runs in standby besides the pixel refresh perhaps.

Advertisement