Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish independence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A bad decision by the SNP membership, Yousaf is already starting from a pretty negative rating and will do little to arrest the decline

30% of the membership did not vote which shows a massive level of disengagement or the SNP membership figures are fiction (again!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah shur, whichever way they voted, you'd have a negative spin ready for it any way.

Forbes possibly lost owing to her conservative social values. Probably was the most able candidate. Seem also to be a warm person.

Handled losing very well, in contrast to Regan, who looked shocked. Wish Yousaf well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think it's the smart choice. Forbes would have faced constant questions about her religious views a bit like that Tim Farron who had a short and terrible run as Lib Dem leader. Regan talked a big game without having any plan to back it up.

Yousaf has the best chance of unifying the camp and keeping the focus on the big prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Regan looked like thunder after the votes were announced; Forbes at least hid the disappointment better.

What is the big prize? To the likes of Yousaf, the continuity guy, it is the gravy train of devolution

• Advertisement

If you're nominated for an Oscar, when they open the envelope you better be smiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd say first off he needs the opinion poll numbers for independence to get back above 50%. He needs to heal the divisions in the party and improve the SNP's record in government. I don't see any alternative in the short-term the way things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Does he want Scottish independence? I suspect he doesn't really care, he has always been a good shouter than a doer.

Outside of that he has no discernible talent, Unionists and their masters in London are delighted tonight.

He needs to make life better for people in Scotland. That's the priority, difficult to achieve with the austerity platform pushed by Westminister for the last 13 years. That's the best way to move the independence dial.

"When Humza Yousaf was declared leader of the SNP, the reaction of many in the Labour Party was unmitigated jubilation.

“It’s the best possible result for us,” a senior Labour figure said. “People have already made up their minds about him. Once people have formed an impression of a politician it’s very hard to shift it — we saw that with Ed Miliband. People think he’s a failed politician who can’t run the health service.”

The calculation for Labour is simple. During Yousaf’s tenure as Scotland’s health secretary waiting lists have soared to record levels, something the party plans to weaponise before the next general election. The election of Yousaf, Labour believes, will enable it to ram home criticism of the SNP’s domestic record on health and crime.

Labour strategists believe that the party could win as many as 20 seats north of the border at the next election, which would help propel Sir Keir Starmer into No 10. The party hopes that its long exile from the mainstream in Scottish politics may finally be coming to an end.

There was a similar reaction in the Conservative Party, where Kate Forbes, the runner-up, had been viewed as the bigger threat. “It’s played out very well for us,” a senior government source said. “Kate Forbes was the risk. She’s the centre-ground, business-friendly vote. With Humza it’s business as usual.”

https://archive.is/k2Xm8

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's not like Westminster hands back corporation tax paid in London on the portion of earnings companies make in Scotland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The whole funding of devolved assemblies based on the Barnet formula is very unfair.

It is set up such that Westminster controls the funding, and since England does not have a devolved assembly, and the vast majority of Gov MPs and ministers are based in England, it is to be expected that a bias would exist that favours England and English Gov MPs.

For example, the Heathrow extension, the HS2 and Cross Rail projects do not benefit any devolved assembly, but its funding affects the Barnet formula. Those three particular projects are a huge cost and only benefit the SE of England. They do not even benefit anywhere north of Birmingham.

Add in the tax concessions to high earning City types to plumb up their generous private pensions tax-free , so this current corrupt Tory Gov makes sure it looks after its friends in the SE of England, and those living in the Tory safe seats. Truss, in her 42 day stint as PM, even crashed the UK economy is a vain attempt to further these ends of helping her rich friends and donors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

He's already been in charge of health and look at the condition the Scottish NHS is in.

Sturgeon left before the scandals start catching up with her.

Even the lowest tabloid media understood that the SNP has been taking Scotland for a ride for many years:

I think Forbes with near half the party already, is opting to wait in the long grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

No, I don't think so. She was offered a major demotion , which I think any self respecting person would turn down.

If she does end up waiting in the long grass then Yousaf will have only himself to blame. You can't make a speech about united the party and then offer your opponent a role she has to refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Indeed - Youzaf seems to either not know, or to have disregarded the adage in politics about keeping your enemies close.

Agree, it should have been a significant portfolio with Rural Affairs thrown in as she has a special interest in that. Youzaf's error.

It is factionalism on steriods. Forbes got 48% of membership that voted and yet none of her backers have been offered anything of substance

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

People predicted a break up of the SNP once independence was achieved.

I'd say it's coming much sooner than that.

• Advertisement

It's by definition a coalition of conservatives and progressives. Any leader must keep both sides reasonably happy. Very foolish if not.

Margaret Ferrier looks like she'll trigger a bye election. First test for him, does he leave her stand again?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,045 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Is it my imagination or is the election of leader for the UKs 3rd biggest party barely being covered by UK media.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I have seen plenty about it on the BBC News app.

Just checked BBC and nothing really on the main site or the UK section. Maybe there was a few days ago but I saw no headlines on TV or papers ove the last few days.

Ferrier is my MP and she was good irrespecitve of her major misjudgement on the covid travel. She cannot stand for the SNP as she was kicked out of the party

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Labour got that seat back on a slim majority in 2017 and re-lost it to Ferrier in 2019. Not going to be the easiest to hold (well, re-win as Ferrier is not SNP now) I imagine.

The 17-19 MP has been re-selected to run if it does go to a bye-election.

If there ends up being an Uxbridge bye-election on the same day (Boris going through that process currently) nobody will notice though!

Wow thanks for clearing that up.

Coverage has been very little considering a major party got a new leader and Scotland a new FM. I should not need to be routeing through websites to find stories for something this important.

I'm sure people will continue to disagree though because it paints the union in a bad light to point out the English don't give a fuk about the other areas of the UK.

Killen has been non-existent in the constituency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Probably more a sign of public disinterest outside of Scotland, BBC will report it, but it's not on them to keep it top of the news headlines.

Advertisement