Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022/3 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Celtics battering the Spurs. No Tatum tonight so Jaylen Brown goes off for 13 rebounds and 41 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Warriors lose to Timberwolves after some horrible turnovers at the end, everyone played their part in throwing that away but Poole with a terrible shot towards the end and then a sloppy turnover in the next possession we had, this team makes you want to pull your hair out when they get so sloppy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Corvo

Anthony Davis leaves the Bulls game with only 8 field goal attempts. I'll never understand how he can be so aggressive one game and so weak the next. Though credit to Drummond (never thought I'd say that), he played really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Mavs need to tank for the remainder of the season and try and get the best draft position possible, waste of time them going forward trying to achieve anything in the rest of this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You think Cuban or Luka wants to tank? They made the Conf. finals last year, to not make the Play In or the Play Offs would be an absolute disaster. The media are already talking about Luka leaving, this would add fuel to that fire.

Luka wants All NBA too, a losing record and not making the Play Offs seriously hurts that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not a hope they tank. Difference between the play off, the play in, and staying at home is two games in that conference. It's all to play for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The Mavs don't have their own pick anyway so tanking is off the table, it's going to the Knicks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Just seems utterly pointless going forward for them, they ballsed up big-time (as expected with the Irving trade), only chance they may have in the short term of building something is to get a high pick in this years draft, so that's why I think they should tank.

Wouldn't be surprised if Luka does leave or try to at least as it looks like the Mavs are going nowhere.

Also speaking of tanking, this is the first season I've resigned myself to cheering on Portland losses, this lottery is really our last chance to build some sort of competitive team around Lillard...or build for the future without him.

That being said Portland getting a high draft pick in a year where there's a supposed generational talent centre set to go first overall hasn't been great for us in the past 😅

He's contracted for a long time and Dallas are about to have a lot of salaries off the books this off-season.

I think due to this he at least gives the team one more chance to build something around him before asking out.

As it stands the amount of assets a team would have to give away to get Doncic would make it very difficult for them to be any good anyway.

• Advertisement

Well if we’ve learned anything in recent years it’s that contracts don’t mean 💩 in the NBA. If wants out he’ll just refuse to play and they’ll have to trade him. I’m not saying he will do that, but the threat of it alone must put the fear of God into Dallas fans and Cuban.

A bad loss tonight for the Celtics 130-111 defeat to the Wizards. No defense in sight all night.

Outside of Tatum there was nobody near their best.

100% but they might not have a chance, I’ve been saying this for weeks and weeks, Dallas look soo bad, so obvious Doncic needed help and he also a terrible attitude, one of the most annoying players ever with his crying

They make a Hail Mary play which I get, didn’t work, they need something big to happen next year, not a superstar but solid role players and better coach

They did the classic “make an even bigger mistake to compound the original mistake” move going in for Kyrie. This all goes back to not signing Brunsen for what would by current standards have been a bargain. They lost him to the Knicks for nothing, and that’s a massive problem in the NBA….you have to retain the asset or at least get something for it.

So they lose Brunsen for nothing. The smart move is to retreat and rebuild. The impulsive move is to double down on it and go for broke. The problem is they gave up all their wings to do it. Defensively they are an absolute sieve. All of that is on the front office…..the ex Nike guy doesn’t seem to have made any significant moves and looks to be just a friend of the players - always a bad sign IMO.

No-one with any credibility thought it was a good move going for Kyrie. Perk of course thought it was a great signing. 🤣

I said last year that Kidd would do well to last 2 years as Mavs coach, looks like he’ll be fired soon. He had a surprisingly good year last year but he’s not a good coach and his track record reflects that. Some of his comments as well this year have been utterly bizarre.

The Kyrie issue could be even more disastrous if he walks for nothing to join the Lakers (most likely).They’ll have given up role players and picks for a 2 month rental. Crazy stuff. They have to sign him with a view to a sign and trade and getting something - anything - back. The problem is point guards are a dime a dozen now, and none of them have the baggage Kyrie would bring….so what’s the market?

Luka? I absolutely love watching him play from a skills level. The constant moaning though is incredibly annoying and making him hard to watch at times. He really should have more Techs than he has considering how much moaning he does. The problem with moaning at every call though is sometimes you actually do get hammered but don’t get the call because of your moaning. He really needs to reign it in. What’s weird is he doesn’t really do it at all playing international ball, it seems he reserves it solely for the NBA.

I didn't stay up last night but woke up to the notifications 'Celtics demolish Bucks' and 'Celtics hand Bucks their second worst defeat ever'. 140-99.

Even if we don't catch them that's going to be in their heads if we manage to face them in the playoffs.

Hit your open 3s and have Robert Williams on the court and the Celtics are the best team in the league over the last 14-16 months (incl. last season).

Celtics are 30-1 this year when they shoot over 35% from 3 this year.

I’ve never seen so much hype for a team that’s not actually in the play offs yet like I’ve seen for the Lakers. It’s ridiculous and patethic tbh.

Other BS is Lakers have the highest FT discrepancy rate in NBA history since the non-call against Boston where LeBron acted like he’d been shot. And it’s not even close.

two other beauties - LeBron saying “I say the LeBron James of feet” and him doing the chalk powder thing WHILST COMING IN AS A SUB last weekend. UTTER CRINGE ON BOTH. The man’s ego is only matched by the number of times he’s travelled in his career.

Good post and I agree with all of it, the Kyrie thing was pretty crazy, I wasn’t a genius when I said it wouldn’t work out, might get an initial boost but most likely will end bad, let’s be honest, Kyrie is gifted but when was the last time he put in a legit solid season???

Yea, I haven’t been paying too much attention but I have been hearing a lot of hype from a few places and pundits about the Lakers. I eat humble pie if they do well but I honestly just can’t see it, it doesn’t make sense to think they could go far in the west, they could maybe win a game or potentially win a series if they got lucky but I highly doubt it, they can’t stay healthy for a few days never mind 2 months of playoffs. Even if healthy, they can be easily broken down in a series. They just aren’t good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Bulls came back from being over 20 points down to the grizzlies to win by 21. A huge win in every sense.

• Advertisement

I was watching the game and that sequence of steals in the 4th quarter was insane

• Registered Users Posts: 36,319 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Lakers are 13 - 6 since the All Star Break. They are in good form, back to full health (bar LeBron getting fully match fit) and look a lot better balanced since they moved on Westbrook, Beverly and replaced them with superior players at the deadline,

It’s not hard to understand why there is a bit of hype there given their momentum and considering LeBron and AD have already delivered a championship previously. If they finish this out and enter the playoffs fully healthy they will be a very annoying 1st round draw for Sacramento or Memphis.

I can buy being down on this team in anticipation of injuries and missed time during a playoffs series from AD / LeBron. That’s what sunk them against the Suns in 2021 and it’s becoming an expectation that one / both miss time frequently.

Your LeBron hating is whatever, but again not that hard to see why he does the chalk thing. The fans cheer, it entertains people. It’s okay to have a little fun like, lighten up.

Am I right in thinking they are the number one defense since the All Star Break? Could be wrong on that. Vanderbilt has been a solid addition.

I still think they lack outside shooting (Beasley is very streaky) and of course there will always be huge worries over the health of Davis and LeBron but agree, in current form (and availability) not many will want to face them.

Yeah I’m just a hater, I’ve never said one positive thing about him. 🙄

”The LeBron James of feet” ffs even you must cringe at that.

There’s always a Lakers premium in the media, because of who they are and where they are. That I get. But this season is insane. You’d think Austin Reeves was the second coming of Jordan with the amount of BS spoken about him lately - incl. one report I saw that he’s the best team mate LeBron has ever had. I’m sure Wade and Bosh must be delighted to read that.

Vanderbilt’s length and athleticism makes a big difference on D, for sure

I kinda agree on the shooting and health, but for the first time in a long time (kinda since AD went down against the Suns in 2021 playoffs) the Lakers are a serious basketball team capable of lasting with opponents for reasons other than LeBron / AD being magical. That doesn’t make them favourites for a single thing (they aren’t even favs to get the 6th seed like) but I get why pundits are noticing them.

Who have the Lakers beaten over this good run of games? I don't remember any decent team playing them. I remember they beat the Suns, because I watched it, but they were on a bad run at the time having lost four of their previous five. I remember the commentators saying that if they didn't improve, the Suns, they could be battling for the play in spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

It was a great watch. Lucky for us it was a ‘matinee’.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Feel bad for Luka and the Mavericks.

No one can tell me that the Bucks didn’t lose to the Celtics on purpose after last nights performance against the 76ers.

Since the All Star break they have beaten:

Warriors x2 (beat them just before the break too)

Pelicans x 2

Mavs

Wolves

Grizzlies

Suns

Bulls

Raptors

Thunder

11 of their 13 wins since the All Star break have come against opponents currently not eliminated.

The NBA season is very long, and you need to update your perceptions of teams as it travels. The Lakers were a very bad team at times this year, they are not a very bad team right now. They likely aren’t a great team, but they are a good one that could be a more dangerous round 1 opponent than their overall record would suggest…

• Advertisement

So they haven't faced, or beaten, the Nuggets, Grizzlies, Kings, Bucks, Celtics, 76ers or Cavs. Those are the real tests of where you are at.

Beating teams with a record around .500 or less means nothing.

Advertisement