Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Violence and how to address it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm watching a CNN Town Hall with Jake Tapper and Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin at the moment. The debate about the war on education.

One of the questions that came up the debate so far was about protecting kids from bringing in guns in schools. There was a parent at the debate who had asked a question about protecting kids from guns in schools.

The thing that shocked me from this exchange was that the parent's kid was a witness to his 6 year old classmate who had shot his own teacher with a gun in the school classroom back in January of this year.

Apparently the 6 year old kid had brought in a gun from home and brought it into school with him. An altercation occurred with teacher and student. He then shot the teacher in the chest with it.

For context; I found some details below.

The wounded teacher has said that she is going to sue the school district of Virginia while the 6 year old boy is not being formally charged with carrying out the shooting at the elementary school.

This story just sounds absolutely nuts.

It took place in a state which has one of the most toughest guns laws in the US.

If a story this does not qualify as one of the most craziest stories that occurred in the US this year. America has a really sick relationship with guns. This story definitely tops it in how it go from bad to worse.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Virginia never struck me as a place with tough gun laws, but frankly, I think that could have happened in any of the States, tough laws or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I mean, when owning a gun becomes seen as an entitlement you get screwy, surreal and distasteful scenarios like this: it popped up on my radar the same time this thread was bumped. It's an astonishing piece of gun violence trivialised as a nervous response to mundanity - rather than last resort to a crisis.

Most perverse, the Floridian "stand your ground" law then said was ok and above board. The rot is too deep that just banning the things would solve all. Though it'd be a start.

An incident of road rage (seemingly caused by the gunman?) escalated, the man on the dash cam opened fire; and claimed the other driver shot first - the judge agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes,I read it as the gunman started the whole thing with ignorant driving, then pulled a gun and fired it while driving. He kept pulling the trigger even though the bullets were going all over the place and he was ducked down in his seat with his eyes closed. That kind of thing is beyond comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Yep. The 'stand your ground' laws being enforced in Florida along with other states in the US is a major fault of it.

Anyone who has a licence to carry a firearm with that law in place is basically allowed to get away scott free if they carry out these dangerous acts on innocent members of the public.

The image of the incident being played out from the perp's car in the above article gives you a snapshot on what he can do to other innocent people when he has a firearm in his hand.

He is clearly a huge danger to everyone who lives in Florida and to people who live outside of it as well.

If that law wasn't in place in Florida; he could have potentially spent a very long time behind bars in his own state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

The regions with nearly all the gun deaths are the more democrat regions with strict gun ownership. The best way to reduce gun deaths is the same as the best way to reduce all crime. It is development. Prohibition never works.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 15,624 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What development is required?

Usually this means education, jobs, sport etc. Providing people with a sense of future and belonging to society.

And of course prohibition can work. It works when society at large accepts that the risks of a particular thing is higher than the individual freedom.

Prohibition of guns works perfectly well in almost every other country on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can you provide stats for this statement. According to the links below, the top ten gun death states are 9 Republican and 1 Democrat and the bottom ten are 9 Democrat and 1 republican.

And the strictest gun laws seem to reflect generally the bottom of the deaths chart.

Things start to change a bit when you look at the local instead of State levels.

#1: 28 of 28 elected positions are Democrat.

#2: 15 of 15 are Democrat

#3: Unknown. They appear to run a non-partisan ballot and I don't have the inclination to do background checks on all 9. Mayor is Democrat.

#4: 9 of 9 Democrat

#5: Unknown. See #3. Mayor is Democrat.

#6: 7 Republican, 5 Democrat. Mayor is Democrat.

#7: 7 of 7 Democrat.

#8 Democrat mayor. Council is non-partisan (but some previously held State positions as Democrats)

#9 Democrat mayor. Non-partisan council.

#10. 17 of 17 Democrat.

The largest city with a Republican Mayor is the 12th-largest in the country. (Jacksonville, FL). #45 on the dangerous list.

The second-largest city with a Republican at the helm is Fort Worth, which isn't on the 'dangerous' list at all. Though in fairness, Dallas, which is right next door (basically the same metropolitan area) and Democrat is only #42 out of the 65 listed. Oklahoma city's the next largest with a Republican, ranks #63.

#8, Democrat-run Kansas City is almost exactly the same size as Republican Mesa, AZ. Both states have very loose gun laws. Mesa isn't on the list.

#4, Detroit, is almost the exact same size as Las Vegas, where you get advertisements to shoot tanks and machineguns before you even leave the airport. Vegas isn't on the list (Vegas is officially non-Partisan, but likely Democratic given how it votes at larger levels).

So, you can look at a couple of trends.

1) Homicide vs Firearm Death. Go back to the wiki page you linked, "Firearm death rate by State". Go down a bit to the table which allows you to rank the States by firearm murder per population. The two lowest are "Live Free or Die" New Hampshire, and "The only State which has never required a license to carry a gun in public", Vermont. The most common form of firearm death is suicide, and in States which have more guns, that's more likely to be the chosen form of suicide. Suicide prevention is an entirely different issue to deal with. Alaska, the "most deadly" State on the list without filtering, has a gun homicide rate right in the middle (#25, in between Ohio and New York). In California, fewer guns, 1.5 times as many killed themselves without guns than they did with guns. In Texas, more guns, 1.5 times as many killed themselves with guns as without. Everyone is equally dead. The figures, pro-rated, are almost exactly mirrored.

2) A lot of the states with tight gun laws are dominated by people who don't like guns and wouldn't buy them even if they were loosely available. In other words, the low rates, particularly of death by suicide, are a reflection of their attitude to guns, more than a result of the law's effects.

3) Large regional variation within a State indicates that the problems are more local than State-level. If two cities in a State have notable differences in murder rate (even if they're run by the same party), you are looking at city-level issues.

4) The list of most dangerous cities does not include a number of cities in States with loose gun laws. Regardless of if the city is Republican or Democrat controlled, if it's well run, it seems that the State gun laws don't matter much. I'm in Texas. Houston, San Antonio, El Paso and Austin all have Texas gun laws, but none of them make the 'list' at all.

In other words, it's far more complicated than just ranking by State or even city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Christy42

If you break apart statistics enough you get to justify the guns...

To begin talking about the variations between states is always a bit iffy when you can just bring stuff across a border. Highlighting individual cities for elected officials is even more ridiculous unless you have airport style searches at city limits (not advocating this but that is what you would need to make the analysis effective).

I do think you are onto something about the attitude to guns having a bigger effect than laws. I remember Abbott encouraging Texans to buy more guns with the implication being guns aren't guns. They are a Republican status symbol, they are a religion, they are your personality. I think gun manufacturers figured out a long time ago that it was easier to sell as a gun as part of a personality as opposed to selling it like a tool which is what it is. Hence the current state of the NRA which serves to get guns sold and a large part of why too high a % of the US simply can't be trusted with guns. A large part of why gun laws should keep being strict in places like UK and Ireland is so that attitude can't be sold here. I think it would be a likely result given how much US culture does get sold across the Atlantic. You can see that attitude of feeling like guns are something bigger when you see people's first reaction to mass shootings be about protecting guns as opposed to stopping this happening again with the likes of Ted Cruz blaming doors and windows and whatever and Abbot being more interested meeting with the gun lobby than the victims.

I am not saying the above represents all or even the majority of the US or even the majority of gun owners in the US but with guns it takes very few to make a big impact on a lot of lives.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Just mention taking cars off the road in Ireland an see the reaction you get.

It is similar to the reaction that limiting guns has in the USA.

If you break apart statistics enough you get to justify the guns...

Yep. Statistics have shown that everyone in the universe has three legs and owns a hyena.

To begin talking about the variations between states is always a bit iffy when you can just bring stuff across a border. Highlighting individual cities for elected officials is even more ridiculous unless you have airport style searches at city limits (not advocating this but that is what you would need to make the analysis effective)

Yes and no. If the cities are attempting to operate and pass laws on the presumption that they are going to have an effect similar to airport-style searches at city limits, yet such searches do not happen, then inherently the city governments and their policies need to be looked at. It's all very well for them to say "this is banned, that needs a license, whatever", but if it's effectively unenforceable, then they have to accept the realities pursuant to having their heads in the sand on the matter.

If similarly situated localities have differing results, the question is 'why'? Why can a city in a state with loose gun laws have a much lower violent crime rate than another city in a state with loose gun laws, if not even the same State? Or why can a city in a state with tight gun laws have a higher violent crime rate than a city in neighboring state with loose gun laws? Why do San Francisco and San Jose have much lower crime rates than Richmond and Oakland, all large cities within an hour's drive of each other? Blaming the ability to import guns from out of state doesn't address that question. There is something else at play here. Probably socio-economic, and probably cultural.

Finally, there's the question of 'deal with your own problems.' For example, the largest city in South Carolina is Charleston. (159k). The next largest city is Columbia (139k). Charleston isn't on the list of top 100 murders per capita. Columbia is #17. From the perspective of a Charlestonite, if Columbians can't sort out their city to be safe in the environment of South Carolina's gun laws, that's their problem. Why should someone in Charleston vote to restrict their guns?

The statistics are a nice discussion, but they're interesting only insofar as the federal government really can't enact any sweeping changes - UK and Australia had firearms ownership, and voluntarily gave them up (in the latter case as far as I remember.) Homicides by firearms dropped.

This *cannot happen* in the US. Not while the 2A is on the books. So, dithering over which cities and states have done this and that, is counting hairs or some other metaphor I can't come up with. Pointless. As long as I can get on the bus in NYC and go to Virginia to buy a handgun and return (or Georgia, or Florida, or wherever), it's pointless. Depressing, really, but it is what it is.

I remember going from NYC to FL to visit my parents and going shooting with Dad. It was nuts! And his buddies wanting to take me shopping for AK-47's. He'd moved from NYC, not a gun-culture town, to the Gainseville area where they practically issue you a gun when you enter the city limits. Didn't take him too long to take it up, plus being retired it was an excuse to get out of the house.

(frankly, back then, if I could've done so and returned to my home in NYC legally owning a firearm, I would've. I looked into it. Shooting was fun! But the local hassles too much and forget about transporting the firearms. I was much younger and less wise then.)

But, nothing substantial will happen to impact gun violence in the US as the culture (via the 2A) allows for indiscriminate acquisition of firearms.

Edit: Somewhat unusual, but 6 dead in a shooting at a Christian school in Nashville, TN, at the hands of a female shooter. Just saw this after I typed the above.

https://apnews.com/article/nashville-school-shooting-covenant-school-5da45b469ccb6c9533bbddf20c1bfe16

• Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

If the goal is to reduce firearms deaths, then first place to address that is by improving mental healthcare. Suicides generally accounting for 2/3s of deaths per year, with the rest split between accidents and homicides.

The Federal government can't outright ban guns, and previous legislation such as the Assault Weapons ban was largely ineffective. A different approach would be to ban all semi automatic firearms, and calibers below 6mm. That effectively cover the most injurious class of weapons. More stringent requirements for the purchase of ammunition, and restrictions for components to preclude reloading.

I should say I would never say guns are the only reason for violence and crime. There are plenty of other factors such as socio economic as you mention as well as likely other factors as well.

Dealing with guns should not mean ignoring these other factors as well.

Why should someone in Charlestown vote to help Columbia, I would say compassion should be a big one but voting on how an issue affects the local street town etc. seems to be a widespread issue we face in Ireland as well. Plus the issue with guns is that it never takes much to send you rocketing up those lists. I would be willing to be that they don't feel confident enough to not have active shooter drills in school.

It also covers the most useful class of weapons. Not to mention the minor detail of the impracticality of effectively banning a hundred million+ unregistered firearms. How would you do it? When I'm wearing a firearm, you've no way of knowing it unless I show it to you or are sharp enough to spot the extra clip on my belt if I'm wearing my shirt tucked in. And you certainly don't know if I have any banned firearms in my house which I can take out whenever I feel the desire.

Homicides by firearms were dropping in Australia prior to their buyback (and they estimate less than 30% of prohibited firearms were turned in, see previous sentence). To my knowledge, only University of Melbourne has looked for a causative relationship between the gun laws and the reduction in shooting (as opposed to simple correlation), and they were unable to find one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You don't need to change the second amendment. "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Just enforce it. The "well regulated" militia is the National Guard. No ifs or buts. The "unorganised militia" is rest of the male population over 17 and under 45 who aren't regulated.

Just enforce it. If you want a gun you have to sign up and train and be available.

A slow game of attrition is how I would do it. You ban all new semi autos, you ban the calibers used in semi autos. You ensure that the only calibers left available are fit only for hunting, 6mm and above is a suitable cut off. Over time the ammunition becomes more scarce, more expensive to produce. Guns aren't that useful without bullets, which aren't protected by the 2A. Ally that to efforts to actually address the roots of violence in the communities that drive the murder rate, and proper resourcing for mental health.

Simply saying there's too many guns, and that nothing can be done about it isn't good enough anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,070 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Police did their jobs, they used a good gun to take out a bad gun

• Advertisement

The idea that bullets are not protected by 2a has been shot down by the courts already on the similar basis that the 1st Amendment protects ink. See Jackson v City of San Francisco. "The Second Amendment protects "arms," "weapons," and "firearms"; it does not explicitly protect ammunition. Nevertheless, without bullets, the right to bear arms would be meaningless. A regulation eliminating a person's ability to obtain or use ammunition could thereby make it impossible to use firearms for their core purpose".

If you have a right, you have a corresponding right to everything you need to exercise that right, including ammunition and magazines. There is even a right to have a shooting range in your town (Ezell v Chicago) under the theory that if you need to practice in order to exercise your right correctly, you have a right to have a place to practice.

The incremental approach is precisely why gun rights groups are no longer compromising on legislation. You make the point for them.

I'm not sure how such a short post can be wrong on so many levels.

On the prima facie level, 2A was written in the 18th Century. The National Guard was created in the 20th Century.

On the federal code level, the National Guard is only a component of the militia. Most men are in the federal militia as you observe, but it's not exactly unregulated. Indeed, we spend over $30mn a year keeping it in good order. By law, all men have to sign up and be available, as you suggest. Failing to do so results in all sorts of penalties from prohibition on federal employment to lack of access to education benefits. (A lot of states similarly enforce such penalties, though I am unaware of any federal obligation upon them to do so)

On the historical level, 2A wasn't supposed to be about a federal militia anyway, it was about State militias. That gets more complicated, but more people are in State militias than the federal militia whether they want to be or not. Most States at least put upper and lower age limits. Some say only men. Others, well, pretty much everyone who lives in Illinois is in the State militia for example (Illinois Constitution Article XII).

In any case, such laws would actually be enforced by State agencies, and State Constitutions can be pretty explicit on the matter. Delaware is a case in point. "A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use.". Not happening.

"But federal law is Supreme over state law" you may exclaim. It is. How is that working out for marijuana or illegal aliens in States which don't want to toe the Federal line?

And that all ignores the practical question of "even if, in the unlikely event, your interpretation of 2A is accepted, how will it be enforced to a practical extent without violation of 4A?"

Post edited by Manic Moran on

There's no right to a specific caliber, nor mechanism of firing. The government also has the right to set taxes on commercial goods. No reason such measures couldn't be employed for firearms and ammunition.

The same approach those on the right pursue to erode rights for workers, voting and healthcare

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Unless the government of the USA stands up to the gun lobby it'll be a Vietnam War AND a Korean War of preventable deaths every two years.

Anything else is just filling in the potholes.

The body count this year so far is probably over 10,000

The "right to a certain calibre" currently falls under the "common use" test. .50 BMG is not commonly used anywhere, in the US or not so the bans on it have not been successfully challenged.. 5.56 on the other hand...

They have the right to set taxes, but they cannot be so as to have a chilling effect on the exercise of the right. The principle was first clearly stated with regards to taxes on newspapers (Grosjean v American Press in 1936), but was applied specifically to taxes on firearms in Murphy v Guererro 2016.

"The Court agrees with Murphy that the tax places an excessive burden on the exercise of the right of law-abiding citizens to purchase handguns for self-defense without a corresponding important government interest. Accordingly, the law cannot stand. The government need not arm the poor, but it cannot impose uncommon burdens on their ability to exercise their fundamental constitutional rights."

These solutions you propose are not new. There is a reason they are not in place.

Yea, successful lobbying on the part of the multi billion dollar firearms industry and compliant politicians. Same reason that the CDC can't appropriately study the issue. Be interesting to see how avowed Originalists in courts would tie themselves in knots to interpret the 2A to suit their goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,624 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yes there have been avenues tried before but, like in Row v Wade, it doesn't mean that should be the end of it.

Massive personal liabilities, gun manufacturer liabilities. It is not beyond the wit of man to find a solution. Unfortunately, many people are like Manic in that simply nothing can be done. Its all utterly inevitable.

There is no appetite in the US to find a solution. Gun deaths are just something they accept as part of life.

I do love that each time their is another shooting the gun lobby and those not ready and interested in dealing with the core problem, will lead with mental issues and the need for funding. Yet on drugs, for example, the answer is about tougher justice, banning drugs etc, They are more interested in a 'war on woke' than looking to solve a problem that has schoolkids doing practice shooting alarms.

What needs to happen is that those in favour of tighter gun control need to undertake the exact policy that the Anti-abortion ground did of the last 40+ years. Focus on those that can deliver a majority in the SCOTUS. Pick winners, rather than ideal candidates, once they are going to able to deliver the type of judges that will interpret the law in your favour.

Because for all of those that claim that A2 is clear, it really isn't. It leaves so much room for manoeuvre if people are willing to do it.

It suits the gun lobby to trot out the 'fact' that nothing can be done so to cut off debate before it has even begun. But an assault ban was brought in before and had some good effects. If enough politicians could actually take this seriously, then many lives could be saved.

Post edited by Leroy42 on

""But federal law is Supreme over state law" you may exclaim. It is. How is that working out for marijuana or illegal aliens in States which don't want to toe the Federal line?"

It at least has a chance. With the 2A, there's no chance. Marijuana will take years to work through - but it will. Immigration as well.

And, as far as 'improved mental health care' goes, the Congress has dutifully blocked the CDC/NIH from doing gun violence medical research, at least up until 2021, with a relatively small amount of $$ (25 Million, on the US scale that's cushion-change), for the first time since 1997. Takes quite a while for research to bear fruit. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/27/health/cdc-gun-research-walensky/index.html

Whether mental health care is up to doing anything about it is another question. Adam Lanza was a walking red flag waved in his mother's face and she chose to do nothing about it. She'd have had a lot to answer for, had Lanza not shot her first before he left for Sandy Hook that morning.

[i]It suits the gun lobby to trot out the 'fact' that nothing can be done so to cut off debate before it has even begun. But an assault ban was brought in before and had some good effects. If enough politicians could actually take this seriously, then many lives could be saved.[/i]

What good effects? It had zero effect in studies, and for good reason: The 'ban' was entirely cosmetic (And rifles aren't an issue anyway). I bought a rifle in Kentucky during the ban. It was functionally identical to a pre-ban rifle with the exception of a flash suppressor. Actually, I also bought several rifles during my stay in California where the ban was (and is, as it's still in place) more strict than the federal ban. They are all fundamentally identical to rifles purchased in other states and now I've moved to another state, they are all in 'normal' configuration, because the ban's methodology is entirely superficial. Took between 30 seconds to two minutes to do it per rifle, just as the San Bernadino shooter did.

That's what you get when people who don't understand guns, probably because they don't like them, try to ban them. Useless idiocy. That's before you hit the minor question of how many are out there.

However, this thread isn't about rifles, it's about gun violence, and rifles are responsible for fewer deaths a year than fists. The violence, to include mass shootings, is predominantly being caused by pistols. Mainly pistols carried by criminals because they are easy to conceal, and thus the type likely to be carried by people more likely to cause violence, and that being mainly violence caused by criminals against other criminals. Even if you believe that focusing on guns will help solve the violence problem, focusing on rifles is not going to solve the violence problem. The problem with focusing on pistols is that we're not talking about a country like Ireland or New Zealand where gun owners are such a minority that they can get trampled. Some 45% of households in the US have one.

The answer lies not in focusing on the guns. Yes, the lack of funding for mental health is a perfectly valid complaint. I agree with this. Though I would also observe that when the folks who want to ban guns tended to be in the majority of government, they didn't fix the issue either. Even at the State level, it's not happening. DC, California or Maryland can fund all the healthcare that they want... but they're not doing it. It's disingenuous to point only at one side for being unwilling to address an issue that both sides claim will be beneficial.

• Advertisement

The answer lies in not focusing on guns because you don't want it to get focused on. Sure both sides need to do more to fund mental health but at least one side is suggesting another alternative and one side has it as a core belief that those services (or pretty much any other health care) should not be funded. Hey lets look at which side had a considerable element that decided that any incident was a fake if it didn't sit well with their gun ownership views. You talk of New Zealand having gun owners getting trampled on but at least they made an attempt to stop further violence whether you agree with it or not. Meanwhile the US will flick online for the same damn Onion headline they have seen for nearly a decade at this point.

The fact that you see it as a gun owners vs everyone else issue is telling. The vast majority in NZ, the majority in the UK and the majority in Australia were not going to quibble over whether each little detail in the new law was required or was fully justified, the point was to get to the end result. They knew something had to be at least attempted and seem to have been successful so far. If you need a sledgehammer for the issue of gun violence you take a god damn sledgehammer and if someone has their hobby become more awkward then they will get over it a lot quicker than a lot of kids and parents will be getting over yesterday.

Outside some epic work similar to what Obamacare there won't be movement on mental health issues. The only way it happens in a more normal fashion is if the Republicans get destroyed to the point that a third party can appear to the left of the Democrats. It ain't happening but politicians encouraging sensible gun ownership instead of screaming about them being status symbols/political statements could happen. I agree that gun laws would likely have a harder time having an effect in the US largely because that last point is far too common a view point that it may well lead to further violence.

Advertisement