Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

They managed to put a race calendar together in 2020 even with the covid craziness, so no excuse for not finding another venue. 4 weeks break this early in the season is daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Were there fans at that race?

It's not as simple as racing 20 cars. They have to make money too. Back in 2020 there were no fans and the FIA paid $5mn so it was profitable and came without all the administrative bits that it takes to actually make it profitable. If you put up the $5mn then they would make the race happen in a couple of months.

We'd all prefer if there wasn’t a break but organising a well run, profitable race probably takes far longer than they had to fill this gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

They chose not to replace the China GP which was decided well before the season started. Was hoping they'd put Portimao on the calendar to fill the gap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Except they knew even when they announced the calendar that it was unlikely to go ahead. And it's not like they haven't had more than enough time to find a replacement since it was cancelled. I remember discussing this a good few months back, discussing the likes of Portimao, Istanbul, Paul Ricard and Malaysia as possible replacements. The reality of the situation is now that we're faced with the first of two four-week breaks.. That's crazy for a top level sport to not have any product on show for two full months during the season. And a knock-on effect in a decline in viewing figures would be a logical conclusion to two month long breaks. I can't think of any other top level sport that has such a long break during the season, and it's not like there's F1 every week besides.

Ah, I don't think you're giving credit to how hard it is to organise a huge event for a quarter of a million people over a weekend. The covid races didn't have fans so they were just a matter of getting the track and garages ready and having the marshals and enough emergency crews for the 20 drivers. The money came from the FIA directly. Relatively simple.

If they need to fund through ticket sales then they need to arrange to sell the tickets and liase with government to arrange transport, hotels, police and emergency services for the hundreds of thousands of fans and service staff. You need hotels for those hundres of thousands of people who will arrive for the weekend, food, permits for this, applications for that and so on. It just cand be done properly in a fee months without someone paying for it. You'd be a fool to host a race without ages to publicise it and guarantee you sell all the tickets. The risks are just too big.

Portimao was never a suitable venue for a full race. The track is good but portimao doesn't have the facilities for a quarter of a million people. They could come from Faro I suppose but if you've ever been to the track, it's up the side of a mountain on small supply roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,893 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

will be interesting to see if there are many tech leaps after the 4 week break

You'd imagine so. 3 races and a month to get upgrades ready it would be great if the other teams could close the gap to red bull but I think they're untouchable. Mclaren need some big improvements to fix their problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I wonder will we see Aston benefit from their extra development hours over the other front running teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It's race week. I'll start a race thread later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Thanks man. I watched that vid a few days before you posted it here. My only good memory of that EJ12 was Sato finishing 5th at Suzuka in 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I heard that yarn on the FFS podcast last weekend. I'd take it with a bag of salt. Famously yellow company German Post buys DHL, of course they'd turn yellow.

I do remember there was some complicated deal for Ford engines that involved overhauling the DHL fleet into Transit vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I doubt the people who have to travel to every race feel that way about it. The 4 week gap is a bummer alright but it’s understandable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

That is absolutely brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I see that the qualifying is live on Sky One :) sorry I mean Sky Showcase too. I forget lol. Early night so.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Leclerc on 6 points after 3 races. Pain.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pain for the team too when you look at the standings.

McLaren ahead of Alpine. 😂 Won’t stay that way for long of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Max certainly is in a <ahem> 'Nice' position.

Can someone tot this up for me,between 23 races, fastest lap points and Sprint points is 1000+ points in the constructors championship possible?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Even without the sprint races you could top 1000 points. 25 + 18 + 1 for fastest lap times 23 gets you 1012. 😳

Even on a weekend where RB couldn’t exploit the real advantages of its car, it won.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Ferrari are really sliding backwards since this time last year. They could be in a battle with Alpine and McLaren for forth the way they are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Ferrari are quickly becoming the team equivalent of Monaco. Just there and involved because of the history.

Ferrari have always been a bit above average but with the biggest budget. The Schumacher years were an exception because the team was well run AND had the biggest budget. But the cost cap is going to mean they're just a poorly run team who hits the cost cap.

It will be very difficult for Ferrari to distinguish themselves without their main distinguishing feature which is lots of dolla dolla bills.

They have made another attempt to restructure their management which could be a typical Ferrari lurch. Or it could be a genuine attempt to change the culture. We'll see what happens when the next bus comes along and fred vasseur is on it, or under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

While they've always been there or thereabouts, it's an oversimplification to say they've just always had a much bigger budget than the rest of the grid.

You get different figures from different sources, but for the last decade they've generally had a very similar budget to Mercedes (some years one has the biggest budget, some years the other) - prior to that in the 2000s they sometimes had a smaller budget than Toyota, McLaren, and even Honda and BMW in some cases. Figures from the earlier eras are much harder to come by but I'd be surprised if the likes of McLaren and Williams didn't have budgets just as big in their respective dominant heydays when they enjoyed vast amounts of tobacco money.

Basically Ferrari have always just had a broadly similar budget to most other works or manufacturer teams on the grid in any given season, with Renault probably being the biggest outlier that has consistently spent less than other manufacturers over the years.

For example, here are reported budgets from 2006, Michael Schumacher's last year at the team when he narrowly lost out to Alonso in the Renault for the championship thanks to an engine failure at Suzuka:

• McLaren: $400m
    • Toyota: $393m
    • Honda: $382m
    • BMW: $378m
    • Ferrari: $329m
    • Renault: $300m
    • Red Bull: $201m
    • Williams: $134m
    • Super Aguri: $95m
    • Midland: $75m
    • Toro Rosso: $66m

I checked the publication date to make sure it wasn't 1st April. Seems like total guff but we'll see if there's anything to it.

If its serious then its clear Massa is toooooallty over 2008. It would be pretty funny if Hamilton lost 2 championships in 6 months though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't think the title can be taken from Hamilton 15 years later. Could be wrong but I reckon Massa is pursuing this with a view to eventually sue someone for financial compensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

That would be a terrible precedent to set and would open a huge can of worms that could never be shut again. I wish Massa had won that Championship, but he didn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement