Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmashogue lane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

We had the hill climb champs there a few years back. Tis a good one. Steep all the way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I dropped a chain half way up. It was not straightforward to get going again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

It's horrible.

I remember once Andras from Thinkbike did it 9 times in a row.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have been up there i think three times, have not managed to do it without stopping.

i'd disagree with Raam though in the sense that it's not 'steep all the way', it's not consistent in how steep it is - the middle section is a breeze compared to the kick for the final half kilometre.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

My ex used to live in the house at the very top so I'm waay too familiar with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭easygoing39

At least you could get away from her house quickly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 spudpicker2022

it's one of the harder climbs for sure. one to take on when legs are good. the bit between the last 3 houses at the end hurts but you're almost at the top so it's one last dig (for a good two mins!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I thought I had done it gravelling, but turns out it was only part of the way and then into the Forest/ Wicklow Way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

POST THE PIC!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I too have done it 3 times. It’s a killer, I’ve fallen once on it when it kicked it up a bit on gravel and I just stopped moving forward. I say I fell it was that steep I just leaned over and was touching the rising ground :pac:

it’s a good one to test yourself on. Having climbed every single hill in the 5km radius of there to city west over lock down it is the tougher of them all in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

i did this bit last week and thought it was quite steep but it's only 14%!. what tyres and cassettes do people use for Kilmashogue?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ive done it 5 times, but not since 2021...need to rectify that soon. The final bit after the bend is the killer, trying not to let the back wheel slip when getting out of the saddle.

The only climb that compares to it on the dublin side of the mountains is cunard imo. Although that starts hard straight away and gets easier.

Post edited by retalivity on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the couple of times i've done it (i thought i'd done it three times, but it's only twice) were on my bike i used to commute to work on; i headed out from work at lunch to have a crack at it. so it was on a steel bike where the granny gear was 36x28, with mudguards and i think a pannier too... not the optimum choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Citizen2011

Finish every cycle off by going up and down. Quick count there on Strava. 126 times. Never gets easy but a lovely climb. A real slog. Have to watch the back wheels if anyways damp. A warm day even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

According to Strava I've done it 6 times but not since 2018. It's the last climb on this year's Boards Evil Ride so it should be fun with 200k and 4,500 metres in the legs.

It's not ideal in the wet as the rear wheel will slip when you get out of the saddle on the steep part near the farmyard. It's not a particularly pleasant descent either as there's too much to go wrong if you open up.

It's tough but there are tougher climbs out there IMO - Glassavullan Lane comes to mind. There's also another one in the Tallaght vicinity the name of which I can't recall now but I was going so slow on it that I simply fell over against a grass bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I did Kilmashogue once a good few years ago. As I was struggling up the hill a car coming in the opposite direction waved me to stop and then enlightened me with the fact that it was a cul de sac (I already knew that!). I'm not sure if they were taking the p1ss or were genuine but it was difficult to get going again.

I've no desire to try it again. I cycle for fun - not for torture. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Funny, the same thing happened to me on Tibradden Lane a good few years ago. A local resident was coming down in her car and pulled diagonally across the road forcing me to stop. She asked me what I was doing cycling up a cul de sac. When I responded that was a public road, she declared that cul de sacs were private and for 'residents only'.

The first time I went up Kilmashogue Lane, an elderly man ran after me for a bit waving a very large wrench above his head. I don't think he was offering mechanical assistance. Some strange folks in those Dublin lanes!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is there any route or track to connect the two, to allow you to go up Kilmashogue and down Tibradden?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Short answer, no.

You could maybe go offroad through ticknock and around the houses to tibradden mountain and back down to join back up with the road, but having only ever been up there on a road bike, i've no idea what the paths/rights of way on the hills are once you get on the gravel

Glassavullan Lane has a harder gradient and tricky to manage the wheel lifting/slipping but the length of Kilmashogue with no letup I think makes it harder.

500m at 13.3% topping out at close to 30% vs 3.4km at 7.9% topping out at about 20%.

kilmashogue is about 2.4km though (the part on tarmac at least)?

strava says 2.47km at 9.7% average.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

Ah memories.

Back when I was fit (2015) I did 4 repeats of Kilmashogue, met some lads I knew on final decent and then went over with them to do Ticknock once.

Also did the Boards Evil and Raid Pyrenean that year.

I wouldnt be able for Kilmashogue at all now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

It's close to me and I've done it quite a number of times, though only twice without having to stop at some point and that's with 34/34 as my low gear on the gravel bike. Horrible descent too making it a pretty bleak ride. You used to be able take a gravel bike in the top gate handy enough to get to Ticknock but like so many places over Covid it got sealed off with no entry signs. These days I'd prefer taking a left into the woods after the first bit and cycling up to the mast. The alternative way to the masts via Buckley's Fireplaces is probably a bit steeper but much shorter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Yep, I'm in the final dregs of the leader board as expected, you're over 4 minutes faster than me MB.

My mistake I was looking at the "Off-Road" version on Strava. Steeper gain than I thought but not as long. So its 5 times longer but not quiet as steep overall I think its a harder climb.

I've been on a compact 50/34 with a 12-32 cassette when I've done it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Can't remember the last time I was up it. According to strava there my pr (11.59) was back in 2018. I wonder how my 5 years older and 5kg heavier self would do now! I don't have the paid Strava so I can't see leaderboards and what not. I must give it a go some evening again for the..... (well not really).... "laugh"....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

10.08 for me, but 7 years ago. I wonder if I could knock 30 sec off and get into the top10. Will have to see what sort of power that would need, and then, like fat bloke, just avoid it for another 7 years 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's a fair difference. You'd time for an espresso and a cigarette while you'd be waiting for me! :D

Advertisement