Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kin - RTE & AMC

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I really enjoyed that episode.

Firstly, the difference in quality between season 1 and season 2 is pretty stark. Season 2 is so much more slick and polished, it's clear they have invested considerably in the areas behind the camera as much as what goes on in front. The sound is better, the camera work (and quality) is better, script is better too as S1 had real issues in that area.

Aside from the action sequences it was nice to see small hints of depth applied to some of the characters such as Jimmy with the snakes and even Frank getting angry with Amanda (was nice to see him display some emotion for a change). I really did think that Gillen was massively let down by the script in Season 1 and I think it's improving for him in this Season

With Bren what you see is what you get, he's a detestable character and is going to be a thorn in everyone's side. We all knew how that was going to go so now we just wait and see how it plays out. Francis Magee has been brilliant in everything I've seen him in (I recently saw 'The Dig' about a man digging up a bog looking for the body of a missing person, Francis played the corrupt local Garda)

I feel sorry for Glen being set up like that, in Season 1 he really was the most useless hitman I've ever seen on screen (culminating with missing the opportunity to do a hit because he couldn't get his gloves on fast enough 🤣🤣 or firing wildly through a locked door and deciding job's done - probably)

Francis Magee is a criminally underrated actor. Absolutely killing this show. Season 1 was a bore-fest. Even Ciaran Hinds character has more plotholes than a collander. S2 though....Terrific so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

I was wondering what the context was with the dancing scene...makes sense now.

People saying Bren is too bad a character,come on people if you're not going to find a roaring scumbag in the drug world where would you find one..he is a more believable character than Jimmy who in my opinion is the weakest character but I think Emmet Scanlan plays himself in every drama.

Michael is very like Birdie and would have been better cast as her son.They dont seem to want to do much with Nikitas character bar sitting pretty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Bren getting killed? Maybe the producers took a gamble on S2 being strong enough to warrant a S3 and Bren being popular enough to carry on.

He may survive the season or have a cliffhanger ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Here is my tuppence worth. I looked at the last few pages of this thread - I couldn't read through it all now! I have been following Kin since the start of Season 1 and enjoyed Season 1, albeit with some reservations in relation to the acting and the script. Season 2 is much better. The storyline is more intense, the script is tighter and episode 2 last night was the best yet. Bren was a revelation. It reminded me of Love/Hate (which I loved!). This character is far more disturbing than Git or Fran. I can't wait to see what happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

does he push tin like Frank or is he into young wans? its pretty obvious he's fond of laying the pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

I'd say from the suggestions in last night episode, not only is Brendan a incestous paedophilic former abuser of his sister. But I wouldnt be surprised if it also transpires he sexually abused his son, Michael who may the one who is ultimately responsible for his demise, especially if he goes near his daughter Anna (btw, by far and away the worst actress in the whole series, terribly wooden and unconvincing. Doesn't seem unable to deliver her few lines with any conviction)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

She’s the only poor actor IMO. Only a kid to be fair, but she struggles

The main adult characters are all pretty good actors (despite what some here believe). Some of the character traits are OTT but that’s part and parcel of most dramas. Saw a few early on complain that Eric/Viking was too outlandish but that’s very much in keeping with plenty of his type in real life.

It’s set up well for the rest of the season IMO

Oh and as for technical improvements. The first season was filmed with covid restrictions. No restrictions now, and I think that’s played a small part

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Banjo Carney

Maybe Bren raped Birdie and Michael is her son

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I had come across the following in the cast before on tv and/or the big screen.

Charlie Cox - Michael Kinsella: the first episode of Lewis!

Aidan Gillen - Frank Kinsella: too many to mention, but Love/Hate springs to mind in this genre.

Maria Doyle Kennedy - Birdie: again too many to mention, but she played Martin Cahill's wife in The General. Incidentally, Aidan and Maria played a married couple in the film Sing Street.

Ciaran Hinds - Eamonn Cunningham: again too many, but he played gangster John Traynor in the film Veronica Guerin.

Emmet J Scanlon - Jimmy Kinsella: seen him in a few things, but one example is The Fall.

Keith McErlean - Con Doyle (first season): seen him in a few things, but I first saw him in Batchelors Walk.

Francis Magee - Brendan Kinsella: saw him in A Touch of Frost and Midsomer Murders.

Ben Carolan - Glen Wright: saw him in Sing Street.

Denise McCormack - Jenny Lawlor: seen her in a few things, but Love/Hate springs to mind in this genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

That's a good shout

We never hear about if Birdie has/had a husband or Children.

Bren looks an owl dirty fucker and Tbh maybe he's Vikings real dad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭redn90

It would be interesting if Bren were Viking's real father. I don't know if that's the case though. What if he's adopted or something? That would be the real twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Enjoying the new season, the body count has went up and Bren is a bad ass. Amanda is going to be most displeased about her son being primed as a hit man, I don't know where Jimmy stands there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

I can't see Jimmy being happy about the son getting set to kill, realistically Jimmy should've taken care of that already.

Eamon should have taken care of that, his hitman killed the wrong person - and a child at that.

Pretty sure unless Glen was monumentally important to him in some way (which I highly doubt) he would have been disappeared that same night, instead of being given a half dozen more chances to feck up 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I think he's going to be primed as Brens right hand man.

It's a move that would p1ss absolutely everyone off especially Viking and Amanda.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

2.2: Wow, I've never been so sure a show was flagging up that a character was going to..

be dead by the end of a season or be in charge. Bren looks like he's only got those two paths and dead feels the most likely at the moment. Unless he's got some big brain stuff planned for later on.

The setup this killing Glen story well if they meant it from season one. Felt like this storyline was a good explanation why he never got taken out earlier on.

Frank lookin for buyers.. gotta be down the country like mentioned in the last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The guy playing Bren looks like a legit gangster who would fook someone up with a stanley blade and not think twice about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,255 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes I thought he had hurt Michael in the past maybe not sexually but beat him up, but definitely something with Birdy

They are all scared of Bren that's for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Would love to see Fran from L/H come up against Bren.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The family must hate all that on there doorstep

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They probably have a young lad outside their gate selling snowballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

There's no way Bren doesn't get whacked, even though the actor playing him does a great job.

Anyone who's watched The Sopranos knows the guys who get out of jail and step on everyone's toes eventually get whacked. Feech LaMana, Richie Aprile, Tony's Cousin Tony B. All played by great actors too.

I don't know why people keep harping on about the actors, they're mostly fine. The script is still fairly average and the dialogue is what leads to the acting seeming wooden IMO. Part of that is just what the show is going for - everything is minimal and austere, black, grey etc. But it doesn't ring true, they don't seem Irish cuz they rarely make any wisecracks, only Viking is really any craic. And injecting humour goes a long way in gangster stories. The Sopranos was practically a comedy, Love/Hate Nidge and Fran were hilarious, all the Scorcese films had funny bits (usually with Joe Pesci), Boardwalk Empire had funny dialogue. I guess it goes with the whole bleakness but it makes you wonder why they wouldn't just go work regular jobs if they're so miserable being rich and surrounded by drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

To be fair, that’s part of the plot. Amanda was asked that very question. Why don’t you walk away? Her non-answer tells the story

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

nah viking will get fed up being called brens driver. you saw it here first 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fran would eat aul scummer Bren for breakfast and come back for the comical “Viking” when he felt peckish at 11

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

they've probably all got premium level season tickets, maybe even a box

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

will we see the guards in this series at all? One of the strengths of love hate was the cat and mouse between the gang and the guards investigating them.

KIN would benefit from similar.

Someone like Michael fassbender or even more down to Earth Paul from fair city as a hardened detective methodically building up a case against Bren and would be a real addition to the plot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Would they just drop the background sound effects it's like watching inception.

Finally a believable horrible gangster in Bren. Coming to wish your man goodbye was absolutely class. My interest has peaked now with his introduction

Advertisement