Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trans Woman School shooting TN

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

Well, thanks for confirming that you don't actually know anything about HRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

2 assault rifles and a hand gun.

Maybe they should focus on the actual common dominator in all these shootings.

Just a thought.

🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭looksee

So start a sensible thread that does not prioritise the gender of the shooter in its title! Not that it will make any difference, the US will continue to allow its children to be killed in the interests of the adults' 'rights'.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,838 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Shootings such as this have become so normalised in the US that anything a bit different about a case is going to be clung onto and deemed newsworthy.

Otherwise it's just more of the same and people have become jaded and don't really seem to give it much notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Who’s ‘they’? The common denominator in any case is the depraved individual or individuals who choose to commit murder. In this case they used firearms to commit mass murder. The common denominator to all cases appears to be an individual who is depraved enough to commit murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Incredibly hard when there are more guns than people in your country, and part of the founding of the state was the right to bear arms. Also, politicians taking bribes donations from incredibly well funded gun lobbyist groups means that any attempt to ban guns on a national level always fails.

If any US president was to ever write an executive order banning them, they'd be literally writing their own death sentence, and there would be huge civil unrest, and violence.

So, on the topic, can anyone clarify how a child assigned female at birth and now identifying (in this case, was identifying) as a female adult can be transgender?

Easy enough - they’re a woman, who is transgender. In this case there appears to be a bit of confusion over how the individual chose to identify themselves, not surprising really if they were also identifying as Christian from birth, before they realised their kind ain’t welcome round these parts, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

@looksee 'So, on the topic, can anyone clarify how a child assigned female at birth and now identifying (in this case, was identifying) as a female adult can be transgender?'

NBC News said officials believe she "identifies" as transgender.

Since the beginning of 2020 there have been more than 2000 mass shootings in the US. Defined as shootings where at least 4 people, not including the shooter, were injured or killed. If you think that firearms aren't the common denominator in such mass events I'd love to see how many examples of such events (4 or more injured or killed, not including the attacker) that you can find that don't involve firearms.

That being said, I certainly agree that figuring out why there are so many people are willing to kill so many people. But until that can be figured out and something done to fix the problem, reducing the availability of firearms seems like a good stopgap measure.

The common denominator in all of them is the person or people who choose to commit murder. Firearms don’t turn up at a school or office or shopping mall of their own volition. They are carried there by people who are of a mind to use them to commit murder.

I know where you’re coming from, but I don’t have an issue with guns, the issues surrounding guns and mass shootings and even glorifying mass shooters, are with people who shouldn’t have access to a butter knife, let alone a firearm.

There will be no measures to prevent easy access to firearms in the US, it’s far more politically inconvenient than it’s worth, but it’s easy to use firearms as a scapegoat rather than address the multitude of underlying factors which culminate in some loose end going off the deep end and imagining they are justified in taking the life of another person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

the individual AND the ludicrously effective killing machines they use in every single one of this incidents

Don't pretend like this has nothing to do with the guns. Without the guns they wouldn't be able to inflict as much murder at such a scale so quickly and efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Well the title is wrong. Regardless of where you stand on this 'debate' the shooter was either a trans Man, or a woman.

Calling them a Trans Woman seems to be deliberately choosing the language that pisses off the maximum number of people

While they probably shouldn't be allowed a butter knife either they are able to do a lot more damage with a firearm.

I don't have a problem with firearms. Before I moved to Ireland I owned firearms. And I'm well aware of how powerful the gun lobby is in the US. But that doesn't change the fact that some well designed regulations WRT firearms would save lives. It used to be accepted fact that Roe vs Wade was decided law in the US and would never be overturned. Things can change.

I am no wiser. If she identifies as transgender, transgender from what? She was already biologically female from birth, unless she was mis-gendered at birth? If evidence of her male-ness was discovered or became evident as she grew up, but she wished to continue to be female then I can see how she might need medical intervention to clarify her sex, but her gender had been recognised as female since birth and she continued to consider herself female, how would that result in her being transgender?

Am I misunderstanding the whole thing, I genuinely am interested to understand.

None of this gives her the right to go shooting people of course and it is a prime example of how the availability of guns is the main issue in this situation.

I’m not pretending this has nothing to do with guns, because I don’t need to. It’s not my position that this has anything to do with ‘ludicrously effective killing machines’ in the first place, when I know that guns for most Americans who own them are a mickey measuring contest, with no intent to ever actually have to use them for their intended purpose.

Master of the Universe

'Using firearms as scapegoat' - I've heard it all now.

Yes, the old silly NRA saying 'Guns don't kill people, people kill people' is technically correct, however you do have to acknowledge the sheer ease guns permit people to kill people is a bit of an issue?

You can certainly go into a school with a knife and start stabbing people, could even do it in Ireland - you definitely won't have the same kill rate however as you would with a semi auto rifle with a bag of nice big full magazines.

This appears to be the only thread in CA on this shooting and as such should really not feature the gender of the shooter in the title, it should be much more open to general discussion with the gender of the shooter being incidental to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

mental health in the US is clearly on the decline, social media , how they are educated/parented. I doubt there is much appetite for tackling it though as there is too much money involved, expect more would be the prognosis

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If it wasnt for the gender of the shooter this thread wouldn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The he/she part is the only noteworthy thing about this shooting.

American culture sees no wrong in school shootings and as a perfectly acceptable occurence.

• Advertisement

From what I can tell officials in Tennessee have been using she/her pronouns for the shooter based on gender assigned at birth. I haven't seen a lot of information about the shooter, but from what I can tell they were a trans man rather than a trans woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Title of thread should read Trans MAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Thread title should be changed though to Trans Identified Woman (Female) or Trans Man (Female) though if it's going to be mentioned.

Yes, I just read the statement in post 3 issued by the 'Trans Resistance Network' which appears, contrary to its name, to be a trans support group, and they refer to the shooter as he - also known as Aiden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

Isn't the headline misleading and it's a trans man who did the shooting?

I thought they were "assigned" female at birth (i.e. born female) before deciding they were a man and doing a mass shooting to prove it? So trans man, not woman

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

not quite right, if was a toothless redneck that could be deemed to be a white supremist, this thread would be the motherload

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

It’s not just technically correct, it’s absolutely correct, and it puts responsibility back where it belongs - on the person or persons who chooses to commit murder, regardless of their weapons of choice, be it their bare hands, a butter knife, a beretta or even a bazooka. I’ve already acknowledged the ease with which it is possible for people who are of a mind to do so, to have access to firearms.

Unfortunately for them, American society has decided that their freedom to wave their metal mickeys about the place is more important than… well, everything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Some clarity needed. Was this person a female at birth who then later styled/ reassigned herself as a man?

Did her parent(s) look at the baby when born and say 'we have a new lovely daughter'?

Did the police shoot dead a man or a woman? Or a woman styled/ reassigned as a man?

Should be easy enough to get these basic facts?

Master of the Universe

A lot of the initial reporting had it all a bit arseways, hence the thread being labelled incorrectly. Could be fixed now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

over 100 mass shootings including 2 at schools this year alone in the US. how many others had their own thread?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement