Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I didnt say represents all. I said inclusive to all. i.e. it excludes no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How pitiful is the 'two wrongs make a right' response?

My partner and children are Protestants, I condemn that behaviour.

Seth I think you may be being blinded here by whatever it was you told the other poster was blinding them.

it is no time since numbers on here were saying Arlene was a member of the orange order. I was lambasted for saying nonsense. I made direct contact through a friend and I’m assured Arlene is not and never was a member of the Orange. Here we go again claiming she has an Irish passport. I believe her. Now can some provide evidence of this claim and I will immediately retract.

wikipedia is not enough as the last time I looked it was saying she was in the orange. It’s difficult to debate when an anonymous twitterati is accepted over a respectable public figure. Sure let’s not let facts get in the way of a good story.

Sure you define ordinary moderate unionists for us! I could also say that ordinary moderate republicans wouldn’t vote for convicted terrorists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

But whats wrong with any of them having an Irish Passport? If they did I mean.

Plenty of British people have an Irish Passport.

It really doesnt need to be one Passport of the other

I thought you had a policy of no condemning.

This is the inevitable escalation of the use of signage to mark territory.

signage is the worst possible way for engendering a respect for Irish. The irony is that very extreme unionists who detest Irish language absolutely love it when Irish signs are imposed. It’s doing their work for them

Ordinary moderate Unionists don't vandalise signs or deny cultural rights or the fact that this is Ireland with a culture history and heritage that includes their own.

I have no problem with anyone having an Irish passport, but when Arlene says she doesn’t then i believe her.

obviously some recent posters here don’t think like you and me, and project all sorts of conclusions on unionists who dare to hold an Irish passport

You are not seriously going to try and take the high moral ground on 'territory marking'?

The signage also has English on them, of equal size, in all cases.

It is Unionist strategy to ensure that areas without legal and agreed signage are 'their areas' (See Francis above actually saying this) and 'Protestant villages'.

• Advertisement

It has always said what it says and she has the power to change it. She hasn't.

It trumps 'your friend' in fairness.

In May 2018, she announced she would be leading an Orange Order march in Fife, Scotland. As a committed member of the Order, this was a reason behind the original defection from the UUP ten years ago.

This is wrong on so many counts.

1) why would anyone need to be a member of the orange order to be invited to lead a parade?

2) why would Arlene bother getting involved in correcting a Wikipedia page about such a non issue?

3) “As a committed member of the Order, this was a reason behind the original defection from the UUP ten years ago.” This is the silliest. I understand that in the DUPs 50 year history it has only had a current member of the OO leading the party in the last 2 years - that’s 96% of its life it’s leaders were not members of the OO. In contrast I reckon the UUP is approx the opposite - so have a wee think just how silly this post of yours is. (I am always here to learn so if you have evidence to the contrary please share it francie)

She has had the power to edit it and hasn't. She clearly doesn't mind being associated with it.

The OO were vehemently against the GFA and still is, her membership led her to leave the UUP. Seems fairly straightforward.

p.s It's you who doesn't have any evidence by the way. Your conveinient friend doesn;t count.

Plus, I couldn't care less if she is or she isn't a member, she has more than adequately shown she has all the qualifications to be a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Arlene Foster is not a member, you were wrong again Francie. Anyone can edit Wiki, and there are hundreds of edits on her Wiki page. I would say she would not be bothered correcting the wiki page about such a non-matter, as Republicans say worse things to / about her the whole time. For example, not that long ago at a public function, a young woman came up to her and said in her face "UP THE RA" or words to that effect. Charming, considering  that when she was a young girl she witnessed a night-time attempt the IRA made to kill her father, who was shot and severely injured at their family farm. Years later, as a teenager, the IRA bombed her school bus. A girl sitting near her was seriously injured.

She left the UUP (which she joined when she was in Uni ) and joined the DUP because she didn't agree with the then leader of the UUP, David Trimble, I seem to remember. People leave one party and join another the whole time Francie, after all Mary Lou was once in Fianna Fail before joining SF I believe.

You are dragging the bottom of the barrel by stating "she has more than adequately shown she has all the qualifications to be a member." Who cares? I would not simply criticise some just because they may have more than adequately shown they have all the qualifications to be a member of Opus Dei or the Ancient Order of Hibernians or Sinn Fein.

Says you who is always peddling the 1960 version of Northern Ireland, as if every other place in the world was perfect then. An exaggerated, very biased version of Northern Ireland. You think (and I quote you ) " NI was a one party state in the opinion of all but a few ouliers who cannot face the facts. Other examples of one party states are North Korea, Erithrea, China etc". Enough said.

50 years of rule by one party, facilitated by changing the voting system, gerrymandering of constituencies and depriving certain citizens of their vote.

'Not perfect'?

I would say that is the perfect way to run a one party state myself.

Can you deny that this was the reality in NI?

• According to the 2011 census, the village had a population of 827 people. 5.1% were from a Catholic background and 90.5% were from a Protestant background.
    • Interestingly, it seems to have quite a history of loyalty to their country. During World War I, 121 inhabitants of Tobermore, out of a population of around 350, enlisted with the Ulster Division". Of those who enlisted, 24 were killed and 33 were wounded.

No, if you want the perfect way to run a one part state, look at North Korea, the country you likened N. Ireland to in terms of having a one party state.

May I remind you, as I pointed out before, in North Korea, , there is only one name on the ballot paper. Those who want to vote against the sole candidate on the ballot must go to a special booth—in the presence of an electoral official—to cross out the candidate's name before dropping it into the ballot box—an act which, according to many North Korean defectors, is far too risky to even contemplate. All seats are won by the Democratic Front for the Reunification of KoreaVoting is mandatory and turnout is habitually near 100%. (99.98% in 2019).

In the border Poll referendum in 1973, everyone had the same vote. No gerrymandering, depriving anyone of the vote etc in that referendum. And yet it was a landslide win for those who wanted to remain part of the union. Even if those who did not vote had voted to leave the UK, they would still not have won the referendum, because unionists made up the majority of NI then. Same as nationalists made up the majority in the "free state" or 26 counties or whatever you want to call it. That is a lot better democracy than N.Korea anyway.

Before '73, in Northern Ireland poor protestants ( and there were plenty of those too ) had only the same voting rights as poor catholics. The rest of the world was not perfect in the 20th century either. Women only got the vote in France in the 1940s. Black people (including black women) were effectively denied voting rights in numerous Southern states until 1965. I still think that democracy, freedom of travel etc in these islands is very far ahead of North Korea, and was in the 20th century too. You claim NI was a "one party state" ; but people in the jurisdiction were free to move to other parts of the UK or Ireland is they so wished, and were free to vote for other parties in NI if they so wished. Other parties got double digit votes ( ie more than 10%) in elections in NI. Be thankful you never lived in N. Korea, then you would know what a real one party state was.

Protestants are not against the Irish language, nor are those 'loyal to their country', belligerent insecure Unionists are opposed to it though. Here's some research that shows that.

Stop aiding in the quest to make this a sectarian issue, it isn't.

North Korea is another way to run a one party state. There are many ways.

• Advertisement

So are you saying the other parties in the elections were not parties? In the Border Poll referendum in 1973, do you not accept the majority of the population - not just electorate - were unionists?

N.B. I will agree with you the unionists should have run the place more fairly before '73, and that N.I was a "cold house for Catholics" as Trimble (I think it was) admitted.

If you can contradict the below with evidence and back-up, please do.

50 years of rule by one party, facilitated by changing the voting system, gerrymandering of constituencies and depriving certain citizens of their vote makes it a controlled one party state where (as John Hume said) they had 'exclusive power'.

If you can't, my point stands.

Conversation is over on this, if you will not address the above facts.

I think the people who done that study had a vested interest in finding certain results, in order to justify their funding and study. I would take it with a very large piece of salt. It says "Householders who completed census forms in the early 20th century were asked to state their proficiency in English and Irish. Ms Duggan said intriguingly many responses from Protestants who said they could speak Irish had subsequently been crossed out by officials."

If you google literacy in Ireland - not Belfast over 100 years ago , but "Ireland" in the 21st century - you will see " The OECD Adult Skills Survey shows that 17.9% or about 1 in 6, Irish adults are at or below level 1 on a five level literacy scale. At this level a person may be unable to understand basic written information." So what was literacy like in the era of the First World War? Worse I would suspect, same as it would have been worse worldwide.

What about people who could not read or who filled out the survey incorrectly - are the researchers suggesting the Protestants from east Belfast who by mistake ticked the wrong box and then corrected it were closet Irish speakers from Connemara?

I think the people who done that study had a vested interest in finding certain results, in order to justify their funding and study. I would take it with a very large piece of salt.

Is there any point asking you to back this up?

If John Hume's supporters were more numerous , and had voted, as they were entitled to do, in the Border Poll Referendum of 1973 in N. Ireland (everyone then had a vote, it did not matter on gender, class, religion or politics). they would have won the poll. However he had not as many supporters as there were unionists. The majority of the population in N. Ireland were unionists. They should have run the place more fairly but NI catholics were not the Most Oppressed People Ever. (MOPEs). Ask another founder of the SDLP, Gerry Fitt, many of his catholic friends never experienced any discrimination.

It still was not like North Korea, which you compared N. Ireland to, and it still was not an excuse to kill unionist politicians and shoppers etc.

Fascinating website for those interested.

Run by the redoudtable and brave Linda Irvine (Lundied and villified by her own) it gives the lie to any claims that there is a blanket objection to the Irish language in Protestantism.

There simply isn't any proof of that and anyone linking the two is trying to sectarianise the issue to their own ends.

“Turas” meaning journey or pilgrimage in both Irish Gaelige and Scots Gàidhlig is an Irish language project which aims to connect people from Protestant communities to their own history with the Irish language. Turas is based on the belief that the language belongs to everyone and that it can be a mechanism of reconciliation. 

I asked you " What about people who could not read or who filled out the survey incorrectly - are the researchers suggesting the Protestants from east Belfast who by mistake ticked the wrong box and then corrected it were closet Irish speakers from Connemara? "

I also asked you a question after researching literacy in Ireland currently. "If you google literacy in Ireland - not Belfast over 100 years ago , but "Ireland" in the 21st century - you will see " The OECD Adult Skills Survey shows that 17.9% or about 1 in 6, Irish adults are at or below level 1 on a five level literacy scale. At this level a person may be unable to understand basic written information." So what was literacy like in the era of the First World War?

I am long enough in the tooth, thank you, to keep an open mind on the impartiality of the two individuals from Turas, an organisation that promotes the Irish language , who claim they found 74 individuals from East Belfast about 110 years ago and who spoke Irish and who served in the British army. Maybe they did. Perhaps some were from Irish speaking areas of the country and who went to the Protestant areas of Belfast and found they were treated with respect and who served in the British army. Who cares. Wonder how much lottery grant money those 2 got?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

What Government jobs do you need Irish to get, as a matter of interest ? Speaking as someone who has had a Government job for over thirty years now, who didn’t have to pass any Irish exam to get in. And if you are going to come back and say it was the case once upon a time, well why would you imagine that that position would be reverted to, for anyone ?

You have been asked to back up this claim:

I think the people who done that study had a vested interest in finding certain results, in order to justify their funding and study. I would take it with a very large piece of salt.

basically, you 'back up' is a series of questions you expect me to back up for you.

Like the one party issue, if you can contradict what is contained here with evidence and back up, please do:

Irish Speakers in East Belfast

Higher Certificate in Irish from Coláiste Comgaill

Due to the efforts of the language revival movement, the Irish language was included in mainstream education. It was introduced to the curriculum of the Catholic teacher training colleges for women in 1902. Around the same time, two colleges in Belfast were funded to provide Irish language training to working teachers. In 1906 after a long struggle with the Commissioners for Irish Intermediate Education, and thanks to the efforts of Lord Aberdeen, Irish was put on the Intermediate curriculum.  In 1908, due to the work of McArthur and others, Irish was re-introduced to Queen’s College, for the first time since 1861. The number of schools teaching and pupils learning Irish throughout Ulster also grew steadily over the years: In 1899, the total number of pupils achieving a pass in Irish was 1317, compared to 371 in 1887. The following year, the system of assessment changed, but the numbers continued to grow from 2256 in 1901 to 31741 in 1906.The Census

In 1901 and again in 1911, the Census of Population included a question on ability to speak Irish. Data from 1911 show large numbers of people living in east Belfast reported they could speak Irish. As the population of East Belfast included people who had moved from all parts of the country, some of these may have been native Irish speakers or the families of such. But many had probably learnt or were learning Irish in school, in classes organised by Conradh na Gaeilge or possibly like McArthur had been drawn to the language through their Scottish ancestry.

The District Electoral Divisions of Pottinger and Victoria (part of) comprise most of inner east Belfast. In 1911, they had a combined population of 104814 of which 5,799 (5.5%) reported they could speak Irish. The majority of these were Protestants.

For instance, take the bolded bit, if Lord Aberdeen didn't do what the website claims...prove it.

If 5,799 people reported they could speak Irish, PROVE they were lying or were illiterate.

This is how backing up your claims works.

• Advertisement

For most of the 20th Century, up until about 30 years ago, you needed Irish to get a government job. Even up to the present day to get in to certain universities like UCD, UCG or UCC, a minimum grade of O6/H7 in Leaving Certificate Irish is generally required for all applicants born in Ireland.

If nationalists like Sinn Fein want to increase the use of Irish, as they seemingly do ( it would have been unthinkable a few decades ago that the first language on the sign outside a Protestant village in the North would be the Irish language, against the wishes of the residents there ), then if I were a resident of that village I would not trust the government of an all Ireland state.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement