Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Theyll use the whole panel.. 4 classes probably, with a few drop outs, fails no shows..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CDM2323

Hi folks, I'm just wondering does anyone know what the DFB manual dexterity test consist of?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Wowthatscrazy

I say giving the amount or retirements/promotions & also deferrals/refusals

should use the full panel

• Registered Users Posts: 9 radar12

Does anyone think they will add to the panel , I mean call more people . Has that happened before?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Shamrock12

Unfortunately I don't think so it's set already at 216, iv never heard of them adding anyone after the fact, I stand to be corrected but the likely hood of it happening is slim to none

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Frezno23

Is the step test the Chester step test? And if so does anyone know what level it is, I know some fire services require a fairly high level, limerick fire brigade is level 8 or 9 I think, could have that arseways.

is it the step up and down to the metronome?

Im number 120 on the panel so I’ve a bit of time to start getting in shape but any advice appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭big.left90

It says we're doing the treadmill test. It's basically a brisk walk. The treadmill is set to 6.2 km/h and the incline is increased every two minutes. You're required to walk for a full 12 minutes. You fail if you reach your max heart rate in that time which is calculated by taking 220 - age. Your Vo2 Max is calculated based on your heart rate reading which is taken every two minutes. To be honest, its not a very difficult test and requires only a very minimal level of fitness. I know of a chap who was a little overweight (not much) who started in 2019 and he passed the medical and got through training so don't worry about it. As a previous poster mentioned in this thread the treadmill test is a bit of a joke. You'd want to be very unfit not to pass it!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Baby S 85

Any word on a date for the first class/ how many?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 zeroMac

Hi everyone, if you's don't mind me asking. Averagely, how many points do you need to get in the interviews in order to be considered in the panel? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheButcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CDM2323

Are they struggling? Haven't heard anything on this yet myself 🤦

They are indeed struggling there is some internal **** going on at the moment, so people are refusing to put themselves forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SAXA999

I'll correct you there. Instructors are unfortunately not available to attend the training centre at the moment due to their own personal reasons. Anything else you hear is just idle gossip.

Well I do stand to be corrected but i'am only passing first hand information from within, but let's hope either way and what ever the issues are internal or not they don't get it sorted asap

Do get it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1 boardathome

Hi lads,

I did my medical earlier in the week. Just wondering did anyone here when the physical tests will be starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

Most are getting their physical dates about 3-4 days after the medical. Some are in week after next

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kend85

Does anyone know what the likely hood is of being pulled into the first class if you finished 61st? Trying to plan a family holiday but am cautious at the off chance there may be deferrals etc. I would imagine it would be very short notice at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

Normally at this stage any failures are not replaced and the class is just left short.

• Advertisement

Best of luck mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GoldenWaves

Do you have to officially accept/decline the first class of recruits? Anyone have information on how deferring works? If it's a possibility at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Iceomatrix

Any word on what number the panel is up to in class 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheButcher

You can defer a class only once . Contact HR in Dublin City council.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Frezno23

What was the medical like? Basic check up did they have the step test?

Its fairly straight forward. Started with a hearing test, then blood pressure, urine, alcohol breath test, eye test, height and weight (No BMI calculation) Strength tests on the dynamomter, grip test, quick review of vaccines you need (Hep B and proof of childhood that you need to supply they will give you info on how to obtain) then chester step test. You need a minimum of 42. Followed up by a discussion with the Doctor who will tell you whether you're good to go or not. There has been a handful of failures apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 murmurrrr

Any idea if the step test is hard to pass? Also is the leg/back pull hard to do also?

Any advice would be appreciated. Will prepare as best I can for it but any advice would be sound

I found it fairly ok to be honest. So the test requires you to step up and down onto a 30cm step in time with a metronome. There are five levels, each with a progressively faster pace. To calculate your vo2 max the nurse will find your max heart rate by taking 220 - your age (so lets your thirty years old, your max heart ate is 190 bpm) They will then calculate 80% of your max so 80% of 190 equals 152 bpm approx. You continue the test until you reach 80% of your max or your rate of perceived exertion is "moderately hard" (if the nurse thinks you're not able or you're huffing and puffing too much) your heart rate is checked every two minutes and inputted into a vo2 calculator. You need to complete a minimum of three levels to calculate a vo2 max.

In terms of preparation, plenty of cardio. Its one of these things that if you're not fit to begin with then you're in a predicament but if you're moderately active a score of 42 is very achievable. One thing to note as has been said previously by someone in the thread, there have been cases of people failing the medical if your heart rate remains high after the test. Dont take my word as gospel but the nurse checked that my heart rate had dropped after the test and noted it. Your heart rate should drop 20-30 bpm within 2-3 mins of completing the test. This isn't official info just what I gathered because I asked the question so bare it in mind. To put this into perspective, there is one or two lads in the first 50 who are strength athletes (powerlifters) one of them is a big unit, well built, plenty of muscle but has a little padding. He flew the medical and got a very good vo2 max of 51.

Dont stress it, I'd be more focused on the 12 minute treadmill test, again its not very difficult if you've a good baseline of fitness. It only gets hard in the last two minutes when you're at 15% incline. I did a dry run a few weeks ago and found it ok. I found the last two minutes challenging but its grand.

Best of luck!

Really appreciate all that advice mate and well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 murmurrrr

Thanks for all the information, that has really clarified things for me and others who are reading. Great information for our preparation.

Well done to you for getting passed it all and best of luck with everything going forward :)

Advertisement