Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie Kardashian is in a women's prison. Taoiseach's response to questions on this are here..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I hope Barbie K doesn't get pregnant. I hear the IPS is putting men into women prisons.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I see a woman has shot up a school in the US

Women have gotten very violent recently, I wonder what caused that?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

It was a transman (a female identifying as male) I believe.

Testosterone causes aggression. Not sure if this female murderer was taking it.

Doesn't seem very relevant to this particular thread, anyway.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Testosterone causes aggression.

It doesn’t.

"[Historically,] researchers expected an increase in testosterone levels to inevitably lead to more aggression, and this didn't reliably occur," says Frank McAndrew, a professor of psychology at Knox College in Galesburg, Ill. Indeed, the latest research about testosterone and aggression indicates that there's only a weak connection between the two. And when aggression is more narrowly defined as simple physical violence, the connection all but disappears.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-testosterone-alone-doesnt-cause-violence/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Science on the effects of hormones on various systems has moved on since 2007. Nonetheless, I encourage people to read Jack's linked article, which points out that indeed there is a link between testosterone levels and aggression.

You might also read this systematic review from 2020, specifically about trans-identifying females, which concluded that "gender-affirming testosterone therapy could have a short-term impact on aggression-related constructs".

Or this study, from 2017, which concludes: "This study demonstrates that during 7 months of continuous gender-affirming hormonal treatment, anger expression and anger arousal control increased in transmen."

G'night.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You’re supposed to have me on ignore 😳

Anyways, before I even read them, I can tell you that synthetic hormones don’t have the same effects as naturally occurring hormones in the human body. Testosterone does not cause aggression, it’s a popular myth, nothing more.

The piece I quoted was an opinion on previous research conducted. If you’d wanted more evidence to refute the claim that testosterone causes aggression, there’s plenty of it exists -

All the above studies have methodological limitations because of the small number of subjects and samples. More creditability comes from a large survey conducted on 4179 normal men which showed higher normal values in subjects with aggressive personality or antisocial conduct. It is of interest, however, that the administration of high doses of testosterone in normal men had no effect on the self reported aggression scores of the subjects.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3693622/

Moreover the study shows that the popular wisdom that the hormone causes aggression is apparently deeply entrenched: those test subjects who believed they had received the testosterone compound and not the placebo stood out with their conspicuously unfair offers. It is possible that these persons exploited the popular wisdom to legitimate their unfair actions. Economist Michael Naef states: "It appears that it is not testosterone itself that induces aggressiveness, but rather the myth surrounding the hormone. In a society where qualities and manners of behavior are increasingly traced to biological causes and thereby partly legitimated, this should make us sit up and take notice." The study clearly demonstrates the influence of both social as well as biological factors on human behavior.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091208132241.htm

Suggesting that a single hormone is responsible for an observed behaviour is nothing more complex than simple backwards rationalisation - man is aggressive, men produce testosterone, therefore testosterone is responsible for aggression in men. It’s an association fallacy.

By that same token, oestrogens (or for that matter testosterone), in women, doesn’t cause them to be aggressive either. There is no single hormone responsible for aggression, and no single hormone that mediates aggressive behaviour in humans -

Aggression is a complex social behavior that has been extensively studied in men. Comparatively, women’s aggression has been neglected. We suggest that there is a need for more theory-driven research in the investigation of aggression in women. Such work could contribute to the development of more effective evidence-based treatments that target gender-specific risks for aggression.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5942158/

Also related to the whole effects of hormones on the human body is the whole “soy boys” myth, and that’s all it is, a myth, a popular belief that isn’t supported by scientific research and evidence -

It’s a quip that would drift through my high school cafeteria whenever I’d pick up vanilla soymilk to have with my lunch: “I can’t drink that,” male friends would say, “It’ll give me boobs.”

This reaction seems to be rooted in a twist of fear and misunderstood science. There’s the fear of being seen as feminine — soymilk being the womanly choice compared to traditional milk — and concern over how plant-based estrogen (isoflavones) found in soy interacts with our bodies own estrogen or testosterone. It’s also where the phrase “soy boy” stems from: a pejorative used to describe men lacking masculine characteristics. 

Unlike many of the myths we debunk (such as whether or not coffee stunts growth) where the answers are cut and clear, the science of soy and what exactly it does to our bodies is still under hot debate by scientists.

https://www.inverse.com/science/does-soy-give-men-breasts-science-debunks/amp

For what it’s worth, enlarged breast tissue is an often unwanted side effect of TRT (we’ve all heard of HRT in women, not so much TRT in men) -

https://www.regenxhealth.com/amp/gynecomastia-in-men-on-testosterone-therapy

Speaking of HRT in women, TRT in women is probably not as widely known, definitely not as well understood, and far more controversial -

https://thebms.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/08-BMS-TfC-Testosterone-replacement-in-menopause-DEC2022-A.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

For the sake of all of the stupid people here, could you give us your opinion on the thread topic? Barbie Kardashian, are they somebody you feel poses a danger to others particularly women and other trans people?

Yes, of course. There's probably not a person on the planet who would say otherwise.

Do you feel Barbie Kardashian may be using gender identity in a less than honest fashion as a means of accessing potential victims?

I don't know, nobody can say for sure.

I have given my views in previous posts, incidentally. Ultimately I don't think BK is indicative of a larger trend where men are pretending to be women to sneak into toilets and rape women.

@CGI_Livia_Soprano Do you feel Barbie Kardashian may be using gender identity in a less than honest fashion as a means of accessing potential victims?

The experts who have interviewed her have said she's not genuinely transgender .

But according to you she's a real woman just like anyone's mother,

• Advertisement

Yes, of course. There's probably not a person on the planet who would say otherwise.

That’s one hell of a leap, even figuratively speaking, to suggest there’s probably not a person on the planet who would say otherwise, when one of the care workers who was responsible for their care gave evidence at trial that they didn’t take seriously this individuals threats to kill then -

While in Coovagh House, a residential care facility in Limerick for children with high risk behaviours, she threatened to kill or cause serous harm to her mother as well as to a staff member involved in her care.

Following her trial last May, a jury found Kardashian guilty of seven threats against her mother. She was found not guilty of four additional charges of threatening to kill or cause serious harm to Michael Mannix, a member of staff at Coovagh House.

Kardashian’s barrister Mark Nicholas SC, said Mr Mannix gave evidence during Kardashian’s trial that he did not take the threats seriously, and he did not seek to be removed from Ms Kardashian’s care roster.

Kardashian thanked the judge before being led away to the women’s section of Limerick Prison where she will serve out her sentence.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2023/03/16/barbie-kardashian-jailed-for-five-and-a-half-years-for-threats-to-kill-mother/

Do you feel Barbie Kardashian may be using gender identity in a less than honest fashion as a means of accessing potential victims?

Yeah they can, it’s not required to be explicit. They can form an opinion based upon evidence, and in this particular case it’s not unreasonable to conclude that the individual involved uses any means of gaining attention for themselves, even the name they refer to themselves as will show up in search engines top results for those terms.

It’s unreasonable to conclude that they may be using gender identity in a less than honest fashion as a means of accessing potential victims because they have to have known that their actions would lead to them being incarcerated in an institution where the only potential victims they would have access to are people responsible for their care. If they had wanted access to the general public, they’d have at least told people responsible for their care what they thought those people wanted to hear, and not tried to shock them just to get attention for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You've also mentioned Myra Hindley.

Did either of these 2 women threaten to rape and torture their own mother prior to being imprisoned? Did either have male genitalia?

Yeah they can, it’s not required to be explicit. They can form an opinion based upon evidence

An opinion, yes. But that's all it will ever be. Nobody can say for certain that BK really considers herself a woman or not because nobody can read her mind. All the rest of it is speculation, opinions etc. I'm not interested in metaphysical debates or guesswork. I live in the real world and only there.

It’s unreasonable to conclude that they may be using gender identity in a less than honest fashion as a means of accessing potential victims because they have to have known that their actions would lead to them being incarcerated in an institution where the only potential victims they would have access to are people responsible for their care. If they had wanted access to the general public, they’d have at least told people responsible for their care what they thought those people wanted to hear, and not tried to shock them just to get attention for themselves.

If that was her motivation then it hasn't worked. There is absolutely no way that BK will be placed in the general population in a women's prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Its a simple yes or no question.

We both know the answer is yes and that's why you are deflecting.

I look forward to your answer.

An opinion, yes. But that's all it will ever be. Nobody can say for certain that BK really considers herself a woman or not because nobody can read her mind. All the rest of it is speculation, opinions etc. I'm not interested in metaphysical debates or guesswork. I live in the real world and only there.

Your opinion is all you were asked for, in the same way as you were able to give your opinion that the individual in question poses a danger to others particularly women and other people who are transgender, and there’s probably not a person on the planet would say otherwise. That’s some damn fine looking metaphysical musings and guesswork on your part, while making the point at the same time that you’re not interested in metaphysical debates or guesswork! 😳

If that was her motivation then it hasn't worked. There is absolutely no way that BK will be placed in the general population in a women's prison.

It has worked, clearly, because they’re now the centre of attention literally 24/7, they never wanted access to the general public, nor the general population in prison. What they want is a captive audience all to themselves, and they’ve got it, and when they’re released, it’s quite likely that given they have grown up in incarceration, they’re not in any way adjusted to living a normal life, and they’ll want to go back to the environment and surroundings they’re familiar with. That was the whole point of the special care order sought by the CFA before this individual aged out of the system - to see was there any possible hope of making a breakthrough in their care. The individual in question doesn’t appear to be at all interested in rehabilitation, their only motivation appears to be attention seeking.

They’re essentially more of a danger to themselves than they are to anyone else, and locking them up appears to be more for their own safety than anyone else’s, while at the same time having to adhere to human rights principles and standards given the authorities still have to recognise that they are dealing with a human being, much as they might not want to.

It has worked, clearly, because they’re now the centre of attention literally 24/7, they never wanted access to the general public, nor the general population in prison. What they want is a captive audience all to themselves, and they’ve got it, and when they’re released, it’s quite likely that given they have grown up in incarceration, they’re not in any way adjusted to living a normal life, and they’ll want to go back to the environment and surroundings they’re familiar with. That was the whole point of the special care order sought by the CFA before this individual aged out of the system - to see was there any possible hope of making a breakthrough in their care. The individual in question doesn’t appear to be at all interested in rehabilitation, their only motivation appears to be attention seeking.

They’re essentially more of a danger to themselves than they are to anyone else, and locking them up appears to be more for their own safety than anyone else’s, while at the same time having to adhere to human rights principles and standards given the authorities still have to recognise that they are dealing with a human being, much as they might not want to.

I really don't have a clue what you're trying to say here. Nobody's saying the BK is a model citizen, or model prisoner, or anything like that.

People are insinuating, however, that BK is indicative of wider problems in the trans community. Barbie Kardashian is willfully embodying the worst fears of transphobes and now they are polluting the web with their bile because of her obvious trolling. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

What does Aileen Wuornos or the previously referenced (by you) Myra Hindley have to do with BK or this issue?

I am genuinely confused why these women would be brought into a discussion about violent men masquerading as women being housed in a women's prison so please, enlighten me why you've brought them up.

This is Ann and Barry level stuff. All you’d to do was read what you were being asked -

It’s one of those rare times on the Internet when you can legitimately answer yes or no without perceiving it as a loaded question. Instead you come out with the philosophical argument “I don’t know because nobody can be certain”, yada yada and yes I’m paraphrasing.

What I’m saying there is that they aren’t, in my opinion, using gender identity in a less than honest fashion as a means of accessing potential victims. Their potential victims, from their point of view, appear to be care workers, specifically men. Attacking women and other residents is just a means to an end, a way to get attention, they’re not who this person sees as their potential victims.

If you want to get the teacher’s attention in the classroom, you don’t hit the teacher, you hit the student next to you. Then you get no end of teacher’s attention. Same principle applies here with this individual and men.

So there we have it nobody can say for sure if he thinks he is a women because nobody can read his mind.

So basically any man that wants access to women's spaces can freely do so.

I don't believe this person is reflective of the trans community.

But this case highlights how dangerous this law is for women and why it needs to be scrapped.

Let's hope this makes the public aware of this ridiculous law and the government is forced to do something about it.

Let's hope this doesn't raise awareness to predators who now know they can say they are a women to get access to women's spaces.

• Advertisement

Well they were brought up in response to a poster who keeps repeating that Barbie Kardashian is a woman "like your mother."

My point is that not all women, of course, are the maternal baking biscuits and bedtime stories type. That some (cis)women throughout history have been violent monsters themselves, that violent people can be violent regardless of their sex, gender, and genitals.

"Some women throughout history have been violent monsters themselves, that violent people can be violent regardless of their sex, gender, and genitals"

Ya see, this is nothing put pure and utter obfuscation and has nothing, literally nothing to do with the topic at hand because that has never been up for debate. Its a similar tactic used by the same group of people across all threads of this nature on this site. When common sense and reality cannot be avoided, muddy the water with irrelevant rubbish. Pathetic and indicative of the house of cards the views are built on.

It is relevant to the topic at hand when someone repeatedly says out that a violent transgender criminal is not a woman “like your mother,” the insinuation being that women are only your typical matronly Irish Mammy type. Ciswomen, of course, are capable of violence as well.

If you don’t like that take it up with that other poster who has implied otherwise or stick to your pro wrestling, Hulk. Grr.

I seriously doubt anyone with the minimun number of active brain cells required to be sentient thinks that BK is any way representative of transwomen. If they were, we would certainly know about it. The nonsense and deflection used to imply the opposite is amusing.

If acknowledging the risk posed to women by BK is transphobia, then refusing to acknowledge it is surely misogyny?

Jesus, muh feelings, I really dont know how I will ever recover from such a deep cutting barb. When you have to resort to insulting (even pathetic, cringe worthy efforts like you just made) other posters, its time to step away from the thread because you have clearly been bested. Its ok, we all know you are a troll. Not a high end classic boards.ie troll, more of a Mr Price, made in China, works for about 5 minutes then breaks type troll. You will need to sharpen the pencil if you want to reach the real heights before you get site banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

You are using hypothetical deliberately sensationalist scenarios in an attempt to get a "gotcha". Its beyond pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭crusd

If acknowledging the risk posed to women by BK is transphobia, then refusing to acknowledge it is surely misogyny?

No one is not acknowledging that BK is a risk, even @CGI_Livia_Soprano, the most rabid absolutist I have encountered on this matter who is the real world manifestation of the extremist generalisations made on who "the left" are . Based on their (BK's) record they are a threat to anyone, irrespective of their gender.Below is a quote from someone in the prison service:

Even if she was moved to a male prison, the exact same conditions would be put in place. She would be isolated from the rest of the population and placed on a strict regime.

What is being discussed by many though is that women are under an increased threat in general. In other words the existence of the individual under discussion means that the threat in general from trans women is higher. This is ignoring the fact that the overwhelming majority of crimes of a violent and sexual nature perpetrated against women are by men who identify as men and will never do otherwise.

I am using an extreme scenario which all laws should take into account.

Can a predator use this law to access women's safe places, the answer is yes.

Does this law open the possibility of women being assaulted by predators, the answer is yes.

Should predators have the possibility of just signing a piece of paper to enter womens safe spaces.

The answer is no.

What is pathetic is you can't answer the question because you don't like the answer.

You made that claim but refuse to back it up , she's every bit a woman like your mother, yet the experts say otherwise,

So what in your opinion makes her every bit a woman and the experts who actually have dealt with her are some how wrong.

It's really simple

• Advertisement

Well if no one is denying BK is a risk why are so many of us being accused of transphobia for suggesting it highlights the need for the safeguarding of women? BK is not unique, a minority of tranwomen have committed sexual assaults and rape.

Advertisement