Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trans Woman School shooting TN

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Did she continue to 'consider herself female' though?

The availability of guns is the main issue for people who want to limit or ban guns.

An investigation into what antidepressants/antipsychotics (or others drugs) these shooters are on, and an analysis based on that, would be pertinent imo but I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,137 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It's a fair question. I can only think that it must be because the shooter only recently transitioned. Reading the Daily Mail's article on it they say that according to their Linked In profile the shooter was now identifying as a man.

The same article quotes the mother of the shooter referring to "my daughter". Separately the mother is described as "Very religious".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Police shot and killed a scumbag who had already shot a number of victims.

What more clarification do you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s more a prime example of how language is used to bend perceptions and influence reality.

Basically it’s sleight of language - they’re a woman, who is transgender. That’s proper use of Person First language, as opposed to referring to the individual in question as a transgender man, when they’re… obviously not a man. That’s using Identity First language.

Things were way less complicated when all you’d to do was mind your Ps and Qs 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 34,838 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

lots of shootings, but check out the fatalities in them - they're mostly very low.

This recent Nashville one is in the top three from what I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's the only one, because some people are both trying to illicit sympathy for this shooter and politicize it to their advantage. The fact that that's happening tells you all you need to know about modern ideologues. They wouldn't dare try something similar with any of the white male shooters, yet they'll gladly do it for one of their "oppressed" groups". I'm not saying that we shouldn't try and understand the motivations of these types, we should, but the people doing it here are only doing it in the name of spin, and not out of some sort of deep care about what leads people to do something like this.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They are the ones who allow military grade weaponry to be purchased as easy as a shovel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Hope she burns. RIP to the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭briany

I just find it galling that all those 2nd amendment heads in the USA who cling to the right of owning assault weapons even as junior/senior infants kids were mown down will be the same ones jumping upping down for trans people to be outlawed and cite this shooting as the reason.

I want to see their own rhetoric thrown back in their face one time and hear someone say to them something like, "Maybe the only way to stop a bad trans person with a gun is to have a good trans person with a gun."

Their reaction,

RIP to the dead. Another day in America...

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Yes, the title should be changed to something like. . 'Another nuthouse with assault rifles kills six in school shooting'.

• Advertisement

A determined adult doesn't need a gun to kill three children and three unarmed 60-something adults. If a person was intent on committing a crime like this and guns were not available, they would think of other ways of accomplishing same.

Guns obviously facilitate the larger mass shootings - the Vegas hotel one etc - so i'm not against restrictions. But anyone who thinks gun restrictions would be a quick-fix solution to mass killings is naive.

Not sure what thread you're reading. I can't see anyone trying to "illicit sympathy for this shooter".

Master of the Universe

I don't think anyone is debating that, it's the ease at which you can kill with a gun that begs the question re gun control.

Plunging a knife into someone or something equally as visceral and personal is a lot more difficult to do than pulling a trigger from a distance.

Sure, some mass shooters could have probably gone on a rampage with a knife. I would say a lot of them simply wouldn't have been able to commit their crimes without a gun though. Not everyone can kill with their bare hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭briany

@[Deleted User]

But anyone who thinks gun restrictions would be a quick-fix solution to mass killings is naive.

Strongly disagree. The person who committed the atrocity in Las Vegas would have had a far harder time doing what they did using only handguns, a knife or a board with a nail in it. Impossible, even, I would say.

There's a whole culture around mass shootings in the States and something about that way of killing which draws would-be perpetrators to it. It's not that they'd switch to improvised explosives or something like that if assault weapons became too difficult to get. If it was just about killing people, you'd already see a larger variety of methods in these kinds of massacres, a lot more bombings etc. There is a cultural attraction to guns and being the gunman which cannot be replaced by knives, bows and arrows or bombs.

Unless guns were totally outlawed, these kinds of shootings would continue to some degree, but sensible restrictions would at least severely reduce what your average maniac can do.

Would you rather confront a determined adult with a knife or an assault rifle that can fire 60 high velocity bullets a minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

With statements like this is it any wonder why anti-trans bigotry is on the rise. According to reports Hale was well adjusted , educated , decent job , talented , loving friends and family etc. . The torment this person experienced , like in a lot of cases , was in her own head. The community who made that statement will put the blame everywhere else and will ignore the mental health struggle that comes with gender dysphoria.

They also want people to respect Hales pronouns in death. I say she waivered that respect when she murdered children. Its a mental health issue? Then seek help. The thing is , the trans community don't encourage mental health treatment. Its frowned upon in favour of medication and surgical procedures.

Restricting access to firearms - while still having the same number of lunatics intent on killing - would simply change the nature of mass killings.

In the case of the Vegas shooting you have a large congregation of people in a confined space. He could have hired or stolen a large truck and ploughed through the crowd, the death toll would be similar. He could have lobbed pipe-bombs at the crowd.

In the case of a small school shooting where children and retirees are the targets... there are any number of ways an adult - even not particularly strong - could achieve a similar death toll.

I'm not against firearm restrictions but they need to be combined with an examination of what is creating and motivating these lunatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

If Sandyhook couldn't convince Americans to cop the fcuk on, nothing will. They're a lost cause.

RIP to the victims.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well, yes to a degree. However the initial reports said that a woman had killed these children and adults. I thought that fairly surprising, as would most people.

Now it appears the shooter has reassigned themselves as a man and it was a fella going around with his assault weapons.

You can surely understand why the average citizens in society are confused??

Not everyone can drive trucks or make pipe bombs.

Everyone can pull a trigger.

Even 4 year olds.

It's a misguided cockeyed talking point from gun advocates, sure if we ban guns they will all hire trucks.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

60 bullets a minute? That's actually incredibly slow. If you had some high capacity magazines and could easily access them you could fire a a hell of a lot more than that in a minute.

Which just reinforces your point even more!

In the case of the Vegas shooting you have a large congregation of people in a confined space. He could have hired or stolen a large truck and ploughed through the crowd, the death toll would be similar. He could have lobbed pipe-bombs at the crowd.

If we could have killed the same number of people with those methods (I strongly disagree with that assertion btw) why didn't he use them instead?

Why do the vast, vast, vast majority of spree killers choose to use automatic weapons?

Semi automatic.

Fully automatic could be 10s times that, depending on capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

right, but in countries which went on to restrict access to guns and have zero access to these types of guns, what happened?

are you getting the equivalent of 3000 mass killings over 5 years replaced with truck violence, rolling pin murders?

mmmmm

no

a great example is the uk, you surely have access to a tv, watch the news? are there widespread mass truck killings? its say 20% of the population right, so 120 mass murders per year, in ireland, 12 per year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Terrible tragedy. RIP to the children and teachers killed and condolences to all the grieving families.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

indeed, once you create a victim identity for any group you are indoctrinating them with a loser outlook in life. By definition the individual is different to the group with their own challenges and potentials.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

There is widespread gun crime and widespread knife crime in the UK.

There are bomb attacks carried out by the New IRA and other Repub factions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

Or more likely the gender dysphoria is an expression of the mental health issues the individual had.

Most adults can drive a car. Most adults are capable of following the instructions necessary to make a pipe-bomb. Most adults have sufficient imagination to think of other ways to kill a large group of people. It's not a pleasant train of thought but we can all go there, it is not necessary for me to list alternative methods - trucks etc are mere examples to illustrate the point.

If you have a society which produces a disporportionate number of mass-murders, and you remove one means of killing... you still have a society which produces a disproportionate number of mass-murders. They don't go away. This is basic and irrefutable logic. Would-be killers are still there, they will still attempt to kill. Some will fail - indeed many armed shooters fail despite the supposed "ease" that guns bring to the table. Some will succeed and future mass-killers will adopt the tactics of those who have been successful.

• Advertisement

In the case of the Vegas shooting you have a large congregation of people in a confined space. He could have hired or stolen a large truck and ploughed through the crowd

Come back with those goalposts.

Where is your evidence of in exchange for assault rifles all these mass murderers will just use cars or trucks instead?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement