Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No she doesn't. But she made the choice herself to dive in to a political position head first, with her social media comments of last October.

She's earning money from Spar here, as one of the faces of their community fund, a fund they create from what their customers spend in their shops. So sorry pal, but being a hypocrite with other people's money just doesn't get to go unchallenged.

I don't even know what the last couple of lines of your post above actually means? Do you yourself??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Because it was an ideologically motivated political ambush on a sports show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I bet you were defending Gary Linekers “ right to free speech “ two weeks ago re_ his Tweet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭robo

My prediction is she'll probably never accept an interview on Newstalk or OTB in the near future & she might do a tell all (apology) interview on RTE, maybe Claire Byrne this week

I don't think this will be the last of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The relevance was she is flying a flag for a Spar campaign that suggests a massive contradiction to views she clearly held so very recently, do you not get that??

She was given ample time to discard them but she smugly insisted she was being hounded.

What is a spoofer doing parading around for inclusion and diversity in communities when it seems very like they barely stand for it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Ahwell

She's made a statement...

It would be easy to be cynical about it, but I would be inclined to believe that she is being genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

You are right. Putting women in the ring to be smacked in the head (and other female body parts) just isn’t right. I don’t know how any father would encourage or even allow a daughter to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, because there's no way those words came from that woman.

This is a PR scramble, probably by whoever replaced the disastrous media handler who shadowed the interview in the first place.

I'd still expect that she'll be quietly dropped by Spar when the initial heat has dissipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Was this Shane Hannons "rooster" interview?

And was the original story that Harrington referred to as false, is that why such a big deal is being made of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Amusing to hear Ciara Kelly and Jonathan on Newstalk breakfast this morning. They couldn't decide what side of the fence to jump off..!! Female athlete and Gay representing so much and now it's crumbled for them, not often she's speechless. This pc woke thing can be difficult at times 🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

It's dangerous that the lunatics who shout loudest in the social media world have decided that a gay female Olympic athlete is a symbol of the far right in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

She basically said "all immigrants could be murderers" which is just beyond stupid. She could have said she got caught up in the heat of the moment because of the horrific crime she was referring too and decided to delete the Tweet after that and that probably would have been the end of it. Instead she created a car crash so I've no sympathy for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

If all else fails, play the "Some of my best friends are black" card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

This Kellie Harrington story is hilarious.

She was the perfect role model for the modern left : Gay,urban, from an underprivileged background and did a sport that women were not supposed to do. She was everything they loved and now she deviates a tiny bit away from what the lefties want and now she's a heathen.

Does show you that the modern left is completely dominated by middle class type who want to be seen as caring, deep down they despise the actual working classes as generally their views are far more traditionalist in nature and far less concerned with identity politics than the modern left would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jarrybutt

A clear agenda from Hannon to bring up a tweet from 6 months ago.

What Katie should have done is when she was asked "Do you still have the same views on immigration", is ask Hannon what her actual views are since he seemed to know.

It's disgraceful that someone can't raise concerns about things like immigration without being called anti immigration. It's like someone questioning why the speed limit is so high on a road and then being accused of hating and being against cars.

I bet the leftists wouldn't be long raising concerns about immigration if it was mass immigration of US fundamental christians that was happening. But when it comes to mass immigration of men from high crime, misogynistic countries of which many do not even have travel documents and may be bogus asylum seekers, then no way can it be raised as an issue!

None of these leftists have any problem in demanding "far right figures" be stopped from coming into the country. Anti immigration when it suits them!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It is exceptionally funny when binary-thinking woke heads explode.

A gay person having 'problematic' views, who'd have thunk it?

Pure speculating scutter.

In this instance she has not been forthcoming with her beliefs whatever they are all well n good but she actually signed off that statement saying she is all for diversity and inclusion she seemingly wants it both ways.

Spar either change this sloganism or get a better candidate that truly represents their supposed values.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Shane stutters a lot. Hard to listen to him.

He actually competes with ciara kelly

He had plenty of time to ask her for her opinion in the last 6 months.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It was a puff piece interview promoting a brand not a real interview, all they had to do was go through the routine of asking a few completely innocuous questions and move on.She deleted the tweet very quickly when it did occur.

Do they challenge every single guest on every single potentially questionable tweet they have made in the past?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Right to free speech means you can be challenged on it. That what was done here.

Well he didn't get an answer yesterday either.

Yeah, Hannon really owned the lowly educated, non PR trained cleaner with his constant questioning that clearly wasn't communicated would be a topic.

Nice little profile raiser by Hannon...

It's funny. Just a couple weeks ago Gary Lineker made comments on Twitter and was talked to by the BBC and the general consensus by the leftists was that his twitter had nothing to do with the BBC. Yet Hannon seemed to make out that Kellie's links with Spar should be questioned.

She wasn't part of this Spar campaign 6 months ago it literally only just launched.

So Hannon was essentially trying to get Spar to sack her?

Because I think Spar were perfectly aware of Kellies tweets.

But a big issue people had with the Lineker thing was that the BBC got involved. BBC sanctioning Lineker was called outrageous because his Twitter was his own personal views.

Yet Hannon and people on this thread are implying Spar should question their partnership.

So which is? Can't have it both ways!

If you're fine with Spar questioning or potentially severing links with Harrington over a tweet, then you must believe that the BBC sanctioning Lineker for a tweet is ok too.

Your comment has no relevance to the outrage over the BBC getting involved.

So if someone says something on twitter, if they defend it, they can't be touched?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

couldn’t careless what Spar do. that’s their business. My point is that if she made a public statement, she should be expected to be asked about it. She can say what every she wants to say but she shouldn’t be surprised if it is questioned by an interviewer.

Spar knowingly putting her forward in that capacity then is the height of stupidity is it not?

What's next? Kurt Zouma championing a campaign for the ISPCA?

It's not like Kellie kicked an immigrant.

The Spar slogan was "back local communities to drive positive change and impact"

I don't see the contradiction. I can be pro immigration yet still have concerns about migration. Just like I can be pro ownership of dangerous dog breeds yet still have concerns about them and legislation.

• Advertisement

Come off it she put forward her view at the time which is abundantly clear motioned towards this happened in France don't have it here.

That simply isn't pro immigration at all and being a GB news article the intention of them is most certainly anti immigration.

Advertisement