Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Being discussed on lunchtime live right now. Hannon doubling down - he's a serious journalist and as such he had aright, nay a responsibility to pursue her for an answer.

All sportspeople are role models because of their achievements and excellence, according to Andrea.

Really?

Mike Tyson was a pretty good boxer - role model?

Conor McGregor anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Did the girl in France get murdered and stuffed in a suitcase or was that all a lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

That obviously ( in you’re opinion) extends beyond boxing to politics, does she also need to explain - clarify tweets she may have made ( six months ago) about a movie she saw or a recipe she copied ?

perhaps she thought OTB was a sports programme , had she been appearing on prime time, different story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Ahwell

You can find that out all by yourself, if you want to make a point then make it.

Why does the source matter provided the details are accurate?

using that criteria, retweeting a GB news piece on how a cure for cancer has been found would meet you’re disapproval?

• Advertisement

From what I can see from a quick glance at twitter, the social media mob are looking to paint Harrington as a right wing bigot because:

She commented on a tweet that reported how a young girl was murdered by migrants in France.

She liked a tweet by somebody who was making the point that sporting facilities in Ireland (most of which are here down the local groups fundraising) should not be used for temporary accommodation for migrants.

She commented on a tweet where a swimmer who was a man a few years ago won a number of women's swimming events.

The dangerous group think and fear of being cancelled in our "mainstream" media leads to mad situations like this whole storm in a teacup. And creates more lunatic right wing fringes (who are more likely to actually do damage to someone or something) - to take on their leftie lunatic social media commentators (who are more likely just to call out everything they don't agree with online).

Society is heading in a very dangerous direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Terrier2023

sports people as role models ????? OJ Simpson !!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Terrier2023

she was and kellie as a young woman was appalled as any woman or mother or sister would be and the perps were questionable.... and that fact that we have a quiet a few similiar types spilling into our country is very worrying to all the decent people of ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Ahwell

So you're defending a tweet that she herself quickly deleted and she now claims is 'not reflective of her'.

I'd say she deleted it for fear of being cancelled by the angry mob.

Anyway I can see which way this is going judging by a post of mine quoted above this so I think I'll bow out now before both sides of the argument drive me insane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It applies to everything she says / does. As it would to you or me if we were in the same situation

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is the crux of the issue.

Whether you are well known or not, whether you are a sports star or not, we're all responsible for what we say and what we do and 'next question' simply wouldn't cut it if it were us answering to our bosses or family or club mates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Very poor analogy this is someone whose memorable line during the Olympics was from the Lion King, she was asked about it numerous times in the aftermath.

I'm struggling to come up with sports programming that doesn't straddle current affairs and cultural references.

This particular programme is even called 'Off the ball' this certainly assumes matters revolving around a sport and not limited to results or achievements only.

Her spot wasn't about a recent bout it was an interview on her latest venture which is spearheading a campaign for Spar.

If the questioning was gearing only back towards sport what was the caution in having an advisor at hand about?

She herself even fitted in another Disney reference. Disney themselves funnily enough cut ties with former MMA star Gina Carrano due to views they found problematic.

Source has an agenda for feeding an audience.

Sorry I haven't done my due diligence so I can't claim it is factual saw somebody ask but were deterred from going that route.

My line of discussion was just on the thoughts Kellie had of it whether it's true is beside the point now.

As for the Cancer story illusion haven't a window for that I'm afraid.

I’d be confident that story she retweeted was reported in non UK news channels , she perhaps came across the GB news report and didn’t even check if it was BBC , Sky or France 24 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Evidence that other news networks reported the same story?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Lol @ people getting offended on behalf of Kellie Harrington. Snowflakes.

How dare she be questioned on a matter that she brought into the public domain, making the inference that all immigrants are murderers and then daring to be an Ambassador for a campaign promoting inclusivity and diversity in local communities.

Shane Hannon had every right to ask that question of her. He wasn't accusing her of anything, he just simply asked her to clarify it, and he couldn't have been more polite with it either.

Her response of 'be like Elsa and let it go' was one of the most cringeworthy things I've ever heard.

She's lying in her statement as well. She clearly called for 'political leaders' to watch for it as it was an immigrant who killed that girl. That's political statement, without a shadow of a doubt.

If you're a public figure and you make public remarks, expect to be questioned on them. That's literally how this all works.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

That True - Women and boxing don’t mix. The Elsa comment proves she’s had to many shots to her dome

Have you not realised that people are ignoring you because they couldn't give two flying f*cks about your anti-women's boxing agenda, yet?

We know you don't like seeing the little girlies getting hurt. Get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

That Kellie Harrington video was even worse than I expected. She was defensive from the get go and probably thought her Elsa comments would come across as smart, putting Shane Hannon back in his box.

Really, she’s just rude and reminds me of the bullies in school you’d be afraid to talk to because they’re not afraid to bite your head off.

I wouldn’t be a big boxing fan but I can’t see myself getting behind her again after watching that.

Settle petal. I just agreed with your point. A little calm from you wouldn’t go astray

I'd say its more the stuff you're pondering as if it's any substance of truth.

You've literally offered up a perhaps there that you are confident in.

I'd rather go with fact.

I've since looked up the item myself the murder is fact and was covered at the time here but the this piece isn't very accurate it is an interview solely on GB news with a Dutch commentator who extends her beliefs which is more what she thinks that obviously wouldn't be covered elsewhere including calling it "a sacrifice at the altar of mass immigration" they speculate and assume men have done this but it has since been proven a woman carried out the attack including the rape.

There is even a part where the interviewer floats the idea that in a country like Belgium there is differences between Waloons and Flemish there is a potential for danger, ffs people digest this sh1te!?

Surely it’s possible Kellie knew nothing about said dutch commentator and her particular ideological position ?,she’s a boxer , perhaps she just retweeted having scanned the bullet points of the story?

is Harrington to be condemned for lack of research skills ?

You didn't agree with my point. You used one part of my point to fuel your sexist agenda, which I do not agree with.

I'll call you out on that if I please.

Couldn't give a toss what you please. I'm telling you straight to you why I couldn't care for your nonsense, unlike you who is lying to cover your sexism.

You are going well off track are you boozing or something??, it doesn't matter Kellie actually offered her thoughts on it remember? Not just shared an article, her own words!!

• Advertisement

Look you might get your rocks off in some perverse way watching 2 girls smacking either other up but done expect everyone to join in your hobby

Advertisement