Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The 'Ireland' reffered to here will change in a UI to include 6 more counties.

Generally speaking, anybody applying to an NUI institution who was born and had all their education in the Republic of Ireland must present Irish (achieving at least Grade D at Ordinary Level) for Matriculation purposes. Students not born in the Republic of Ireland or educated for an extended period outside Ireland may apply to NUI for an exemption from the Irish language requirement. Students with specific learning difficulties affecting language acquisition (dyslexia) may also apply for exemption from Irish. To apply for an exemption, it is necessary to send in a completed Exemption Application Form and other relevant material.

That requirement will then have to be ammended.

This isn't rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Prove that 110 years ago they were lying or illiterate? So you think that 110 years ago less than 5.5% of the population in East Belfast was illiterate. I would say it was more than 5.5%.

It is not unreasonable to assume that 110 years ago, at least 5.5% of the population were illiterate, given that 110 years later, in Ireland, in the 21st century, despite all the EU money and the technology and the celtic tiger , " The OECD Adult Skills Survey shows that 17.9% or about 1 in 6, Irish adults are at or below level 1 on a five level literacy scale. At this level a person may be unable to understand basic written information." 

Do not take my word for it, I am quoting from the National Adult Literacy Agency, here in Ireland. Not 2 individuals in Belfast funded by the lottery, and who aim is to promote the Irish language! Surprise surprise, after a few years research they found 87 individuals in east Belfast 110 years ago who spoke Irish. Well, they had a cupla focail anyway. Probably. :) I nearly spilt my coffee laughing.

https://www.nala.ie/good-news-as-oecd-results-shows-irelands-15-year-olds-are-among-the-best-in-reading-literacy/

Maybe you think literacy was much much higher in Belfast 110 years ago (95% of the population?) compared to literacy in Ireland now ( 80% of the population?). Does not sound if the Irish education system is much good in the past 110 years so then, despite all the EU money and technology? Why, according to your conclusions and the statistics, is illiteracy much more in Ireland now than in east Belfast 110 years ago? Oh, I forgot, its the Brits fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

As I said in my first post, you are talking about the past when it comes to Government jobs. No Irish Government is going to row back on that.

So your claim is that 5,799 people were illiterate when completing their census returns?

That's what you have to negate the work done by this project?

As long as Ireland is in the EU and signs up to the ECHR they simply couldn't do it, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

I would say at least 5799 people were illiterate 110 years ago, given that in Ireland only a few years ago  The OECD Adult Skills Survey shows that 17.9% or about 1 in 6, Irish adults are at or below level 1 on a five level literacy scale. At this level a person may be unable to understand basic written information." 

I gave you the link to the above statistic.

Just to be clear here. You are saying that the 5799 people mentioned here were illiterate and on the basis of that the people behind Turas are erronously drawing funds?

The District Electoral Divisions of Pottinger and Victoria (part of) comprise most of inner east Belfast. In 1911, they had a combined population of 104814 of which 5,799 (5.5%) reported they could speak Irish. The majority of these were Protestants.

Given that

(a) nationalists like Sinn Fein want to increase the use of Irish ( which is fair enough, I studied Irish for 13 or 14 years or whatever at school, it is a democratic country, I have nothing against people who want to learn Irish as long as they do not push it down other peoples throats )

(b) it would not be impossible to have a SF government in the event of a United Ireland : if fairness, while I am not a supporter I will acknowledge they have a lot of support both North and South currently, and are probably Ireland biggest party in many if not every way. ( financially, votes, number of members etc)

(c) life is deliberately made uncomfortable for the residents of the Protestant village in N.I. by placing an official sign with the first words - you could say the dominant words - as Gaelige (in Irish)

if , in the hypothetical situation of an all Ireland state, and you were a "typical" resident of that village, would you trust the government of an all Ireland state not to make life very uncomfortable for you?

I think the Council and the nationalists who are pushing so hard for the Irish language in N. Ireland are actually doing more damage than good in their quest for an United Ireland.

The 'government' of the state they live in now, with the majority of parties in the devolved government there, AGREED to the legislation that allowed that sign to be erected.

The pertinent question would be, are belligerent Unionists going to obey the laws of anywhere if they can't obey the law of the country they are supposed to be loyal to?

When you look at statistics from 110 years ago, and you find "corrections" on census returns, it is difficult at this point in time to know exactly what went on. Did the 87 people who ticked Irish language and then changed it (or had it changed, perhaps by someone else?) do so by mistake? Were they literate? I do not know. I suspect you or the 2 individuals whose aim is to promote the Irish language and who done the study and who found 87 individuals in east Belfast 110 years ago who spoke Irish could not know for certain either. Statistics are open to interpretation when it comes to Irish. In our Irish census many hundreds of thousands may tick the box that they can speak Irish when all they may know is a cupla focail. Who t.f. cares.

• Advertisement

RIs there not supposed to be consultation with local residents? If it is as you say it is, given the Irish language in that sign is much more prominent than the Irish we have in the signs here (south of the border), it is indeed worrying that "the majority of parties" wish to antagonize Protestants like that, people who clearly do not want it in their village in N. Ireland. If they think that is bad, it will be much worse for them in a U.I., have no doubt about that.

They didn't say 'they knew' in fact, if you bothered to research the proper things they very clearly say this:

Whatever the reason was, at the moment it remains a mystery.

They also, if you had bothered to research, presented other evidence proving that Irish language education was happening in the area,

. and thanks to the efforts of Lord Aberdeen, Irish was put on the Intermediate curriculum.  In 1908, due to the work of McArthur and others, Irish was re-introduced to Queen’s College, for the first time since 1861. The number of schools teaching and pupils learning Irish throughout Ulster also grew steadily over the years: In 1899, the total number of pupils achieving a pass in Irish was 1317, compared to 371 in 1887. The following year, the system of assessment changed, but the numbers continued to grow from 2256 in 1901 to 31741 in 1906.

Now could you answer the question asked?

Just to be clear here. You are saying that the 5799 people mentioned here were illiterate and on the basis of that the people behind Turas are erronously drawing funds?

The District Electoral Divisions of Pottinger and Victoria (part of) comprise most of inner east Belfast. In 1911, they had a combined population of 104814 of which 5,799 (5.5%) reported they could speak Irish. The majority of these were Protestants.

Ok, if you are going to continue to sectarianise this, I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are incorrect. The row-back has already started. Read the Official Languages Act.

"One of the key objectives of the committee is increasing the number of staff in public bodies competent in Irish, so that by 31 December 2030, at least 20% of staff recruited are competent in Irish."

"The 2021 Act also provides that within 3 months of the National Plan being submitted to the Government, the Minister shall specify the dates that Irish shall become the working language of the offices of any public bodies or class of public bodies in certain Gaeltacht areas and that all services provided by these public bodies shall be provided through Irish."

"While it is unclear what the necessary language standards will be, or how this will be assessed, these changes are likely to have a substantial effect on recruitment into the public sector"

Don't take my word, take the word of a leading law firm.

I would absolutely feel confident that no Government in the event of a United Ireland, including a Sinn Fein one, is not going to impose a requirement that Irish is mandatory for any public sector or Government job. Not going to happen. I know some people want to present the Shinners as the reincarnation of the 1933 Nazi party, but they wouldn’t have a hope of getting elected on a platform of any discrimination against Protestants or Unionists. In fact I think if there was unity it would go the other way, and people would be falling over themselves trying to include and accommodate unionists.

It's already happening, 20% of recruits by 2030 must have Irish, it will go up again after that.

ok, I genuinely wasnt aware of that. But reading your link it all sounds a bit aspirational to me, and I don’t see any mention of re-imposing the Irish exam for entry.

Exaggeration.

Where does it say 'must have'?

One of the key objectives of the committee is increasing the number of staff in public bodies competent in Irish, so that by 31 December 2030, at least 20% of staff recruited are competent in Irish.

It's an objective, not mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is our state under pressure from a vociferous minority language lobby enforcing or attempting to enforce what they couldn't through persuasion. And that's the result of a sloppy aspirational constitution article.

As regards census stats, nobody and I repeat nobody except the most deluded believes the statistics concerning ability to speak Irish.

Sure I have an interest in the language, did 14 years of it in national & secondary education. Have many words, phrases and more than a grasp but I would never claim to have an ability to conduct more than a rudimentary conversation in Irish. And other than a hobby interest, have no need or aspiration to.

Personal anecdote from me.

My eldest in his early twenties, went to a Gael Scoil and is proficient in Irish as are all his former school friends and all of them now showing on the census. Multiply that out to all Gael Scoil graduates and the numbers are growing rapidly.

A way has been found to preserve and encourage one of our official languages, rich in heritage and art. That's a good thing which will enrich us all culturally. It already is, if you look at An Cailin Cuain etc.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately the Irish language is already politicised in N. Ireland. Most protestants there do not regard it as part of their culture. Only 0.3% of people in N. Ireland use it as their daily language. Yes, we know some - if not many - Republicans in N. Ireland are pushing very hard to increase the use of Irish language by everyone there, not just themselves. It has meant that in N. Ireland people associate the Irish language with Republicanism, the same as people associate the Irish flag with Republicanism, having seen it draped on IRA coffins etc. Even many originally thought the Irish flag was supposed to represent orange and green with white (peace) in-between.

I think all reasonable people would agree putting up an official Council sign (where the dominant language on the sign is Irish) at the entrance to a Protestant village in N.I. is not the smartest thing to do. It is only going to result in tensions raised / people antagonised.

At least some good has come out of it, the good people of Tubermor have a small taste of what it would be like living in a U.I., under the Tricolour, and where as it stands a pass in Irish in the leaving cert,( after studying Irish for 12 / 13 years or whatever at school ) is generally required for entry to NUI universities like UCD, UCG, UCC etc. And in the case of a UI, if they do get in to those universities, and get on the soccer team ( not even GAA team which would be even more Republican ) will their team-mates be chanting Uh Ah Up the RA? And you expect the people of Tubermor to be willing to enter a U.I.? All of the victims of violence in Tubermor during the troubles were Protestant. I think they would be made feel unwelcome and be out, unfortunately, in the case of a U.I.

I think if I were living there I would not want to trust the government of a hypothetical U.I. anyway.

You are quite correct. IF, and it is a big capital IF, we are to have a united Ireland that welcomes all, we will need to get rid of the tricolour, which despite its origins, is clearly perceived as sectarian, and we will also have to reduce the influence of the Irish language in daily life. This will be very difficult for republicans, but their politicisation of the language has sadly produced this outcome.

The Irish exam will be optional, but as 20% will be reserved for those with the Irish language, lesser qualified candidates will jump ahead of better placed candidates purely on Irish ability. The direction of travel is clear.

"(3) The Advisory Committee shall, in performing its functions under this Act, have regard to the following objectives— (a) increasing the services provided by public bodies through the medium of the Irish language, having particular regard to services provided by public bodies in Gaeltacht Language Planning Areas, Gaeltacht Service Towns and Irish Language Networks, and

(b) increasing the number of staff of public bodies who are competent in the Irish language so that, as soon as practicable after the establishment day, but no later than 31 December 2030, at least 20 per cent of staff recruited to public bodies are so competent."

Amazing stuff as usual on here. Somehow, an objective clearly set out in law is only optional and not mandatory.

Why would we have to reduce 'the influence of the Irish language'?

The current British government has no intention of appeasing a belligerent and culturally bigoted minority by reducing the use of Irish, it is ensuring Irish will be used more. Why would you propose that a future government of a UI would?

It is you, by that statement, that is politicising.

Any measure that enhances our native language use and encourages it, is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Yes all correct except one point. The bit about people leave parties and join other ones the whole. You hadn’t counted on those few die hard republicans who sit in pubs and sing rebel songs. They are not likely to leave one party and join another, as we can see from some recent posting on here.

but yes you are correct about Arlene and her reason for leaving - and of course david Trimble was the Orangeman who led Drumcree. So the orange is a complete red herring in her move

Nonsense. Many Irish can not even recognise descrimination against Protestants.

most on here do not even understand how the Irish rugby team discriminates. We have a team that is supposed to represent two countries and yet fly the flag and play the anthem of only one. It is so so clear what would happen in a Ui. The Irish would just tell themselves ‘ ‘we are treating the unionists ok and they should be glad we allow them to participate’.

I would guess there are some on here who think it is fine that the venue, flags and anthems of only one people on the island are allowed. Or maybe I’ll be shocked at all the posters who admit that this is clearly discrimination against northern Irish

Former Ulster Unionist leader David Trimble has accused elements within the Orange Order leadership of conspiring to damage the peace process.

Speaking at a book launch last night, Mr Trimble, himself an Orangeman, said some unionists had entered a pact with elements in the Orange Order to try and wreck the Good Friday Agreement.

Those 'elements' certainly didn't approve of Trimble's actions and they disapproved of the GFA (well they disagree with everything, but you get the point)

Trimble faces censure for going to funeral | HeraldScotland

There is also this:

The Protestant Orange Order is the largest organization in civil society in Northern Ireland. From 1905 until 2005, the Order was linked to the Ulster Unionist Party, until recently the dominant local political force. However, widespread Unionist disenchantment with the 1998 Good Friday Agreement led to a shift in the votes of Orange Order members, in common with other Protestants, to the anti-Agreement Democratic Unionist Party (DUP), 

I.E. They turned their backs on Trimble's party and like Arlene, Jeffrey etc switched to the DUP.

The Union Jack is the flag of Britain as GSTK is the anthem of England.

The rugby initiative was to represent the whole island not two separate states.

The tricolour comes from before partition and was intended to represent the whole island of Ireland, green and orange.

As NI has no anthem the Phil Coulter song is used instead.

Again, only a tiny minority have issue with all this and would love to wreck it but the fact is the vast majority of Unionists are quite happy within the all Ireland IRFU and with playing and attending games etc

• Advertisement

Where are you getting these silly quotes. I could tell you that that most of the orange in my town are uup supporters. It’s a broad church and to try and suggest it swings en masse from the uup to the dup is patently nonsense - but it fits your agenda.

mas for you continued Clain that Arlene is a member. Here’s a wee challenge for you that will put it to bed.

you name any prominent unionist of your choice who is a member of OO and I’ll get you a pic of them with their sash on. Then you. Get me s pic of Arlene with her sash on. Put up or shut up! You’ve been at this nonsense for a while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement