Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Paddy Carr is a decent and honourable man. He is an innocent victim of a shambles created by others. Unlike certain individuals he has shown himself to be a man of principle. He was handed a poisoned chalice from the beginning. You can only wish him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Yes, the Donegal press seem to be reporting under threat of the county board by the sounds of what some journalists are reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

There is a piece in the local media today detailing their recent treatment. Maybe that is why there isn't much written.

John Gildea spoke to Charlie Collins earlier and I think it's worth a watch. It's on the FB page of a well known local media outlet I won't name.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Could they not find a less flattering picture or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Nix7979

John is a level headed, intelligent and sensible man. Perhaps he would be the one to knock heads on both sides together.

• Advertisement

Any spies at the meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

I don't know enough about the controversy yet to give an opinion but Devenny sounds somewhat ambivalent. Agreeing but not agreeing. What are people's opinions on the manager's appointment process?

It seemed anyone else who was a 'candidate' pulled out and it was left to Paddy Carr. Or did I miss something?

I am a huge fan of Jim McGuinnness, but, if he put himself forward as part of a Rory Kavanagh ticket and then Rory Kavanagh pulled out, I can see why he wasn't approached again. Perhaps Paddy Carr was asked if he wanted Jim McGuiness involved and said no?

Post edited by Redsoxfan on

• Advertisement

McGuinness main ambition is to get a gig on these shores in soccer and more power to him. Even if he has of went on with Rory at the end of last year he would be gone for the first soccer job he was offered.

He applied for the Bohs job (not interviewed) and Harps one (interviewed but didn't get it) so I don't think coming back to save the county senior team is high on his list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Jaysus....some mess we're in! I'd agree with Devenney here too. Cavanagh is commenting on stuff that he's read in the media and I'd be very surprised if he's up to speed on all the ins and outs of the fiasco. He'd be as well sticking to the analysis - and even at that he's not great!

I'd say there's no one really blameless in all this. I'd say there's a certain amount of sticking your head in the sand, dummies spat out, skin getting thicker and no one backing down. On one aspect that's come to light is the E1000 bucks Lacey asked for to bring the coaches out for dinner. I I think Karl dropped the ball on this one. There's scores of great GAA volunteers around the county that give hours and hours of time every year (on a county administrative level) that don't get a red cent for the work they do. Singling out coaches v's these people is setting an unwelcome precedence.

Regarding the players 'revolt' against Paddy Carr. Thought this sort of crap was only reserved for Cork GAA players. It doesn't make sense to me. I don't know Paddy personally but he doesn't come across as a dictator type personality and while their the style of play wasn't a million miles away from what they've been playing the last number of years, there were signs of slight change. I can only conclude that it's the results that drove this action. If that's the case then they're pointing the finger at the wrong person. They need to take a long hard look at themselves. While there's a few shining lights, the team at best are a Div2 side and nothing more. Some of the commentary that this is a 'great young' team is nonsense. There's very few of our players that would make it into a Mayo, Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone team.

It doesn't say a lot about O'Rourke and Bradley either. When Lacey left the academy post, 40 odd coaches left in solidarity with him. When McFadden et al decided to push Carr, it doesn't take a genius to work out that 30 pieces of silver is worth more to these two than a bit of honour.

There's no point in talking about the Mayo game but there's one major take away, Patton is a huge liability playing 'sweeper keeper'!

Aye, Patten, is great at (a) long, accurate kickouts and (b) stopping shots, but is brutal at (1) commanding his small parallelogram and (2) playing football.

If he is to be our keeper, we need to either develop him to address (1) and (2) - which I don't think is possible given his slight build, or, just play to his strengths and avoid him being put in situations he is not comfortable with or up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Another unspirited performance. Not sure how the team is going to be lifted for the Down match. Short in talent and leaders. In relation to the off field drama, from what I'm hearing, one or two heads are expected to roll. Not sure who the individuals are.

Was always going to Roscommon today even before relegation was esstentually confirmed last week and then Paddy Carr was ousted. I didn't expect much and got less. A nothing game, played like it meant nothing. Because it was an away match, the players got away lightly, if it was at home, I would have expected more fight and perhaps more noise from the stands.

Pretty much nobody comes away from it with any credit. Of the 2 wise men who met with Paddy Carr to tell him he wasn't wanted, EBG at least tried hard - Hugh was poor.

Interviews afterwards were interesting. Paddy McBreaty spoke and was very defensive - 'relegation isn't the end of the world....i've been relegated 3 times....' Sure - I said the same thing myself in this thread, relegation is not the end of the world, but it's the way it's happended. DV gave him a hard ebnough time 'is this the lowest point in your career.....' He said the players wanted AOR and PB to stay on.

Meanwhile, AOR said that it was Paddy Carr who asked himself and the Derry man to stay in to manage the team for this game. He did not sound like a man who wants to take the job on a full time basis. Which is not good, as whatever you think of him, I doubt there is a line of suitably qualified applicants waiting to step in.

Players might learn - once you oust a well respected and liked manager (based in what a lot of what's been said this week) you might find it hard to find anyone else who wants the job. Also, showing absolutely nothing today won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

give it McHugh till end of season

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭dog_pig

€1000 between more than 40 people is less than €25 a head so I’m not sure I see that as egregious a misstep from Lacey as others do.

As for Devenney, he has proven himself incapable of even feigning impartiality with his work covering this situation. It’ll be hard to take what he says at face value going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Probably not, but having received and spent 280k in the first place, the first question I'd be asking is why was this not budgeted for initially?

• Advertisement

The same could be said for his counter part on the Ocean FM podcast and club mate of Lacey. Even named his other club mate as "one of the few good guys" on the CB!

Hard for a lot of people to be impartial in this and that is the big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

Yeah, the Co-host of the Ocean FM podcast would happily see a vote no confidence which could lead to no football at all in the county for up to 2 months - he probably only really cares about county team rather than club football.

O'Rourke gets his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Our season is a write off anyway. It doesn't matter who the management ticket is at this point. It's too late to make a significant difference. What they need to do is to start the managerial search now for next season. Any decent manager won't go near the job with a 10 ft bargepole, I fear.

That's quite a change of heart from AOR from Sunday. Will be interested to hear/read his next interview.

LOL at Paddy McBrearty saying team is in a good place.

Look, that oul rubbish is getting nobody anywhere so grow up. Lacey and the coaching officer don’t get on. The former chair made a mess of the appointment process and McGuinness pouring petrol on that flame by saying something that was never gonna happen and that has been deliberately misconstrued. A couple need to go yeah to improve the thing.

But if any moron voted no confidence in the Co Board then there’d be no football at all in the county, underage started this week, ACL start on Sunday. I wouldn’t trade that for a new children’s officer. Some people are all about County Football and don’t care about clubs, that’s good for them. Same people probably never bought a ticket for the house draw to put their money where their mouth is, and those same people have stopped following the team to games. We can’t be guided by them. Anyone looking for the whole board to go can wait until convention at this stage as it would drag the club game into it now.

"rubbish", " grow up" and "moron". It's a pity you resort to insults because you do make some points worthy of debate.

Rubbish referred to the rumours of a no confidence motion being put to meeting last week - it wasn’t and was never going to be so rubbish is the right word for that. Grow up? People wanting to throw the baby out with the bath water really do need to think again. And moron? I can’t think of any other word for someone willing to burn the whole place to the ground.

• Advertisement

Plays his club football in Dublin so certainly wouldn't be affected.

Advertisement