Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trans Woman School shooting TN

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hardly indicates this is "where America is now" it sure is where Twitter is though it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭mikethecop

sure what ever lad ,

you should know by now i dont engage with people who exploit pain and death for agendas . theres enough people starting threads here doing that already

'Yeah kids are slaughtered but think of the poor cops being labeled transphobic, the worst thing imaginable to them'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I see you and your mates are exploiting this tradegy in the Trump thread. Why not post that stuff here? Trump is a public citizen, this has nothing to with him.

How much do you guarantee the average person knows what those ingredients even are? I don't even know what those ingredients are and I'm a friggin mechanical engineer. I could tell you what's in thermite but not a pipe bomb. And I certainly don't have anything in the house that would make an effective casing, gods forbid.

All conjecture. You surely can indeed imagine a 4 year old building a rocket ship off of google but I still have yet to see a 6 year old attempt to kill their teacher with a pipe bomb or sarin gas, as was previously floated as a bizarre alternative in the case of guns being banned or regulated effectively. I have however seen a 6 year old shoot their teacher. I've even seen reports of 2 year olds shooting their own heads off with found guns - clearly the problem is guns, and the prolific availability of guns, it's not 6 year olds being radicalized politically by social media or gender affirming care. 6 year olds aren't writing out manifestos against the deep state or the great replacement, thusly they aren't scouring the internet for ways to cause death and destruction or looking for the anarchists cookbook. But they see daddy has a gun culture obsession. They see guns all the time too in the culture. We make memes out of it. We often make shooting someone a punchline.

And any semblance of societal moral leadership on this, on keeping these thoughts and ideas away from children flew well out the window a long time ago.

Andy Ogles imaged here in his family's 2021 Christmas Photo (R-TN) had nothing but Thoughts and Prayers TM for this latest atrocity - he's just "heartbroken" everyone, so lay off him enriching the guns for kids culture.

free link https://wapo.st/3Kf4D6E

As for 28 year olds and their access to guns the same story applies: they're available readily, ingrained deeply in the culture, and the barrier to entry is alarmingly low. If you do grow into an extremist, radicalized 28 year old, there's a product for that, buy 3 for a discount, and you can skirt a lot of paperwork in the right cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Trying to mod a thread you are banned from.

That's certainly a new one

As is discussing a topic being referred to as exploitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

The first response to the OP, this is so representative of the current state of Boards. It also sums up in one paragraph the entire ideology behind the trans movement.

Clearly the REAL victim here is actually the shooter. 3 preteens and 3 caregivers shot to death in absolute terror and pain but the demonic creature who plotted it planned it and carried it out and her supporters are the only people deserving of sympathy.

Janey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

That Christmas card is amazing, I am trying to imagine a European politician sending that out. There is just such a different culture around guns and gun culture that its hard for me to understand. It is so creepy and sinister.

Its very sad as I don't think this is going to make any difference and even if it does, its just going to be putting a limit on a certain type of gun and a mass shooter or any kind of shooter is just going to use another type of gun. There are so many guns out there already and such a battle for any changes its hard to see how this changes.

Its really depressing as it really seems that its never going to change, only get worse, more kids killed. Those poor families, it doesn't bare thinking about, seeing your nine year old off to school and then they are shoot. Its just so unbelievably sad.

If anything comes of this it will be anti-trans/anti-woke legislation pushes. MTG blamed suggestively (without any sufficient basis) that testosterone supplements were a factor in the shooting - "Everyone can stop blaming guns now." she declared, having given her trollbase something else to work with.

• Advertisement

It takes an awfully skewed reading of that post to infer any sympathy or defense of the shooter. They're very clearly discussing the trans community, knowing that this will lead to an increase in hate crimes, - especially against people who were not party to the atrocity.

The "REAL victim here" is reading comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

POTUS Biden responds to press gaggle about this and gets shouted down in the middle of answering.

To wit, he's been in full contact with officials, (and in touch in Mississippi, which had devastating tornadoes), has already exercised much all of his executive authority on the gun agenda already, and it's left up to Congress to get the thumb out.

Biden states most americans believe it's "bizarre" etc. to own an assault weapon - polling shows he is mostly right, most americans believe in general that firearms need to be harder to acquire, especially for the mentally dangerous. But ABC/WApo polling also shows that Americans don't overwhelmingly support a Ban on assault type weapons. The Morning Consult/Politico poll indicated however 2/3rs of Americans support raising the age to buy those assault weapons to 21 at least. It wouldn't have helped here though. As such, I don't see anything moving an iota on this. More kids to be shot cold dead this year and more cops forced to face up with criminals with assault weapons and more thoughts and prayers TM to be issued by the usual corners. And RIP tm - as if any kid shot up at a school in particular, has ever rested in peace - what have they been able to rest in peace about? We still let it happen and will let it happen tomorrow or the day after that.

Frankly, the reporting at all levels has been very confusing on this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Excellent work by the cops. That video shows how difficult their jobs are. I wouldn't fancy being a cop in the US.

Whoever that Trans Resistance Organisation are, they are a pack of ar5eholes. It's unbelievable that they are trying to defend/excuse what the shooter did. Ar5eholes of the highest order and they aren't doing the trans community any favour with that publication.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭French Toast

You could call it clichéd / lazy analysis / whatever, but once again if Sandyhook didn't change anything then nothing ever will.

Tragic way to lose a loved one. Completely needless end of a life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I presume to show that they made a far better effort at limiting the casualty count after the Uvalde debacle.

On the matter of amending 2A, as has been mentioned, 38 States have to vote for it. Currently 45 States have a Constitutional protection. 13 States have voted on the matter at a State Constitutional level since 1980. All but one, as I recall, voted for protections of firearms. (That one was a bit neutral, some protections, some limitations). The most recent was last year, Iowa. "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The sovereign state of Iowa affirms and recognizes this right to be a fundamental individual right. Any and all restrictions of this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny."

An amendment ain't happening.

Nashville Police Chief reports that shooter had 7 firearms legally owned even in spite of seeking treatment for "emotional disorder"

Morning Consult/Politico poll, again, shows an overwhelming majority of Americans - even a Majority of Republican and even MAGA Men - support 'red flag legislation' such as prohibiting firearm use by patients reported as dangerous. And virtually no grassroots opposition to it either.

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000186-0e07-d41d-afce-bedf8f4e0000

“We’ve determined that Audrey bought seven firearms from five different local gun stores here legally,” Drake said. “They were legally purchased. Three of those weapons were used yesterday during this horrific tragedy that happened. We know that they felt that she had one weapon and that she sold it.”

Drake further disclosed Hale was “under doctor’s care for an emotional disorder” at the time.

“Law enforcement knew nothing about the treatment she was receiving,” he continued. “but her parents felt that she should not own weapons. They were under the impression that when she sold the one weapon, that she did not own anymore. As it turned out, she had been hiding several weapons within the house.”

Drake went on by saying investigators are still working to determine Hale’s motives, even after discovering her manifesto and her apparent plans to attack the school. The debate following mass shootings often turns to mental health and the topic of red flag laws, which allow authorities to bar certain individuals from owning guns if they are deemed a public safety concern.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This thread is specifically about the trans identity of the perpetrator of the crime. Hence my comment. RIP to the victims.

How would the cops/gun shops know that she was being treated for an 'emotional disorder'. And what exactly is an emotional disorder? Is that another word for a mental health condition?

As someone who owns guns, I'm actually in favour of red flag legislation if it worked properly but correctly writing that legislation is fraught with difficulty. Easy to abuse it if you want to shoot/p1ss off/rob your neighbour etc. Just report them, get them disarmed by the cops and then you have an easy target. How do you sort out what's a genuine red flag call and what's a bogus red flag call from a disgruntled wife/co-worker/neighbour etc?

From the Morning Consult Poll, Americans overwhelmingly support the ability of a mental health provider, not your neighbor or your dog, to raise these red flags to law enforcement and for appropriate legal action to be taken thereon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Not even sure where to start with that article. It mentions there are FIVE different local gun stores. I’m hoping it’s just a case of “everything bigger in America” and ‘local’ covers a huge area, not a ‘blink and you’ll miss it’ sized town.

Her parents felt she shouldn’t own weapons, and it turns out she was hiding several weapons in the house!

It’s silly to be complaining about gun law reform and access to firearms and all the rest of it when that’s the level of sheer ignorance and stupidity you’re dealing with.

Fair enough, that might catch some of those in treatment. It won't catch those not in treatment. It might also push people away from seeking treatment for fear of losing one of their rights.

Is this something that mental health providers would be willing to do? I'd imagine many of them would be reluctant to red flag people for fear of litigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

What a pathetic count

Well, therein is part of the problem isn't it. They already currently live under chilling fear of litigation (QED: this person was not reported!). Psychologists already operate under the guise that patient confidentiality is not finite, and does not extend to where they believe you intend to harm yourself - or others (and generally fully explained to informed patient at the head of mental treatment).

We don't have a proper reporting system for these cases to police enforcement, and I am unsurprised the Nashville police were not informed, given what the police chief just said, their hands are bound, and what can they do but call up the PD and just have them say 'thanks but nothing we can do' 'or thanks we'll look into it,' give the person a visit and do nothing legally forcible. Just as in so many other cases in the US where mass shooters it turned out not only were in and out of mental care but even in those circumstances, alerted to law enforcement by professionals, friends, and family who were again handtied from taking any legal action, under the legal climate of "shall not be infringed." The Stoneman Douglas shooter is an example case. The mental care professionals already work under the ethics guideline that you report dangerous people, but the system does not support them in that. Sadly all their provider would have done by reporting it to NPD would be to have them have to report to the suspect/patient that a report against them was made and they will be increasingly distrustful of their health provider, only. If we actually have the gumption to pass a red flag reform though the provider knows they can report a patient and the appropriate action will be taken, the intervention will actually occur, the confidence in that action goes up, and reporting rates go up (in theory).

By writing legislation that clears the pathway for red flag issuance by licensed providers you also imaginably, at the same time, write that law with and out of respect to alll the various other doctor-patient law in the world, HIPAA etc. so providers aren't left guessing, for example, whether reporting their patient for taking actions to plan out shooting up a school is something they can legally report, and isn't a violation of their patient's privacy or constitutional or statutory rights.

Now I mentioned FL/Stoneman: to be a deferential, Florida does have the Baker Act and, I've seen a family member have to be found under the act, and it wasn't fun for them but it was a relief for us and law enforcement, they were a danger to themselves, but there wasn't any guns involved. But this interns the person, not any weapons, and only for a period of hours or days, and 'masking' your way through a basic mental competency test gets you out of it. So say this patient got Baker Acted in Nashville eg. - they'd just have been out again by Friday and the guns would still be fully and legally in their possession. It's not nothing for preventing a mass shooting, but it's also not particularly robust, my family member was released, quickly stopped masking, had an incident with police in the middle of the street and was right back in - dunno how you avoid that fully, but glad this wasn't a gun related incident in their case at all.

This is Trey Gowdy, he is the Congressman who chaired the Benghazi bullshit. He put Hillary Rodham Goddamn Clinton on his stand for 11+ hours. He also supported term limits (3 terms) - and left after 4 terms. So, he's hardly a perfect libertarian but these days he's still a solid standing Republican - and even he emphatically supports Red Flag Laws.

"Here’s the answer. If you’ve been adjudicated mentally ill, you can no longer legally possess any firearm or any ammunition. But she was not taken before a judge. So homicidal, suicidal, mental health issues, and yet she, no red flag law was involved. All right. So that’s number one.

"Number two, the overwhelming majority of mass shooters signal to someone what they’re about to do. So I’m not talking about a moral obligation to let folks know. I mean, they can sort that out for themselves. How about a legal obligation if you know someone in your household is talking about shooting up a school. I don’t care about your moral obligation. I want you to have a legal responsibility to go tell someone.

"Alright Sandra, what doesn’t work? I confess I used to think having law enforcement officers at a school would help. The evidence does not suggest that it does. I used to hear from my colleagues in the House. Oh, we need more legislation. Most guns are lawfully purchased. And the legislation I constantly hear about is closing the gun show loophole. Okay, fine. Close it. But that will not stop a single mass shooting."

When asked about increasing fortifications on schools, the Gowdy also deferred back to mental health:

Instead of having schools where kids go to, you know, a quasi-prison, how about we do something about a culture that requires us to have schools for kids to go to that look like prisons?

I mean, I’d like to work on both in the interim, make it absolutely safe to attend school, since the law requires that you do so. On the other hand, we’ve got to have some kind of conversation about what is wrong with the soul of this country, that someone would kill a child. I don’t know the answer. I just know that we have a soul problem in addition to a violence problem in this country.

“I mean, we can put people to death with due process in this country, but yet we got people on one political side who say you can’t take firearms under red flag laws because of due process concerns.”

“I mean, that’s really stupid. We can take your life, but we can’t take your firearm if you are having mental issues,”

Not even sure where to start with that article. It mentions there are FIVE different local gun stores. I’m hoping it’s just a case of “everything bigger in America” and ‘local’ covers a huge area, not a ‘blink and you’ll miss it’ sized town.

No there are easily 5 or more gun/pawn stores within 15 minutes drive of me, 1 of which I pass almost every time I am out of home, and I am less than 15 minutes from a public sub-metropolitan University. I mean - there's a gun range right down the road from the university (and the owner is a big Punisher fan according to their google adspace but I digress).

They're just - **** everwhere in the south, and I have no reason to think there aren't as many (or more) guns and availability in Tennessee just over the mountains here. Nashville is just a couple hours away.

Actual results:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

As I always say, unless someone holds that domestic terrorist organisation possible for all of these murders of children, nothing will be done.

The politicians who are paid by this terrorist organisation will do everything to distract from this. Expect more bullshit about drag queens and school books indoctrinating children when the one thing that is actually killing them is ignored.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement