Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest live concert you've ever attended

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Australian Pink Floyd in Olympia were another "unique experience"

Which reminds me I saw Big Country there with the original line up in the Olympia which was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I've been asked this many times over the years and the answer to escape my lips, without hesitation, has always been "Spiritualized's two gigs in the Rock Garden". The band made their debut Irish appearance in December 1991 in the Rock Garden in Dublin ( I actually think it was the first ever gig held in that venue, open to correction ). So, yep, a tiny place to witness the sonic and visual onslaught the band provided at that time.

Anyways, in early May 1992 they returned. The first gig was mindblowing but this one raised the bar again. I basically was in the 'NOW' for most of the show. There was no past, no future, my whole existence had always been just me and the band in that moment. It was all I had ever known. I wasn't even aware of any audience for most of it. I was also stone cold straight and sober. Occasionally you could make out three silhouettes through the strobes, projections and dry ice but heading towards the end it was complete whiteout. You knew there had to be someone on stage but there was no sight of them. Complete sensory bombardment with the visuals and the most amazing noise coming out of the speakers, all totally controlled. It was a head f*ck of epic proportions 😁😎

I've seen tons of amazing gigs so it seems churlish to leave out so many but i'd be here all day otherwise! However, honourable mentions must go to:

Pixies w/Pale Saints, National Stadium October 1990

Leftfield/The Chemical Brothers/Fluke, The Point June 1996

A multitude of Mogwai and Primal Scream shows

The Heads, Liverpool Psych Fest, September 2015

Post edited by Dreamweapon on

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Another one I'd have to mention is The Scratch about five years in Galway.

I knew damn all about them, but it was a free gig in the middle of the week and a quick glance at them beforehand made me get a good feeling that they might be worth a look.

It was the stuff dreams were made of really. Taking a chance on a random gig and hoping it'll be good. They were more than good, they were absolutely unbelievable. The energy and electricity in the room was astounding. I think everyone there knew they'd hit the jackpot by turning up. I came away from it thinking these guys are going to be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Saw Australian Pink Floyd in 3Arena in 2017. They played a fantastic set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Was on between the Leaving and the Matric - mine started on the Monday so no study done that weekend. Sound wasn't great but good atmosphere. Go-Betweens were fab. The sound was sorted for The Cure 3 weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think was mentioned as a gig here, but darling Hall and John oates at olympia is on sky arts now

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

Slayer ulster hall Belfast 1988 or maybe it was 89? I can't remember which year exactly but it was for their south of heaven tour supported by nuclear assault. Nuclear assault assaulted my ears my chest my brain and played an extra half hour. They were incredible then Slayer, if ye've heard tales of slayer in their prime gather close an I'll tell thee no lies. If you think their studio albums were loud and heavy well Dave Lombardo on drums hitting I dunno 180-200 BPM and Toms bass hitting you like a kick from Jackie Chan. The twin guitar feedback the gutteral screams moshers goin ape sht slam divers jumping off the top balcony fights kickings it was mental but orgasmic and pure euphoria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Hard to pick a specific gig but the acts that I enjoyed live were U2 (in 1985 & 1987 Croke Park, before they went downhill after The Joshua Tree), The Pogues, Morrissey, The Stone Roses, Lloyd Cole, The Golden Horde (nuts), Something Happens, The Whipping Boy & Big Country.

But my favourite live band is/was That Petrol Emotion. They put on terrific shows.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Rem was in Argillan not malahide Castle

great gig lovely views

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Panrich

A few for me that I really remember fondly:

Rory Gallagher Lisdoonvarna 1983?

Bruce Springsteen Slane 1985

Leonard Cohen Kilmainham 2008.

Honourable mentions for Big Country Galway 1984, Tom Robinson London 1986. Ian Dury & the Blockheads also London 1986. Tom Waits Dublin 2009?.

Haven't been to se a band in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Motorhead - Ace of Spades Tour - Deeside Leisure Centre, Wales. 1980. Supported by Girlschool. Hanging above them was scaffold pole bomber from the Bomber tour...

A very close second, Prince, Manchester in the 90s

Weirdest one - saw a Frank Zappa tribute band in a pub in Birkenhead - the drummer was Zappa's drummer. Bloke with a sainsbury's carrier bag and a trenchcoat took over the mic for about about a minute before bouncers hauled him off. He knew every word. Number one fan. Number one nutter. Never found out what was in the carrier bag - probably just his dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Panrich

Just had a much more active interest in music when I was younger. That's not to say that I don't like any of the newer stuff or bands that are around now. I think I've just got to the stage in life where I prefer to listen at home than actively go out and enjoy it like I did in my younger days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Great to see quite a few mentions for Big Country.

Seems a shame for someone who clearly loves his music. It's a different scene for sure when you go to gigs in your 50s or whatever, but I'm enjoying it more I think now than I used to. I'd miss it badly if I stopped now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Never too old to go to a good gig. My own parents are turning 60 next year and I still go to shows with them all the time. Great family outings 😁

Deadly. I'll let my kids know what the future holds for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭dmcdona

No idea who it was but no-one recognised him - I'd bet anyone going to a Zappa tribute band in Birkenhead would probably recognise Mark E Smith - except me of course - The Fall were way to left-field for me. I do recall the bass and lead guitarists giving each other funny looks "who's yer man?" and then he picked up a tambourine (sainsbury's bag in other hand) and gave it some welly.

That all said, you never know...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

For sheer spectacle the U2 Zoo TV tour was some show.

Also 'The Wall' gig that Roger Waters did in the Aviva was probably the greatest example of a stadium rock show ever put on the road.

Having said that, my most enjoyable gigs were watching Wilko Johnson with Norman Watt-Roy on bass in small sweaty pubs with about 100 people present.

Absolute dynamite.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I forgot to mention the Planxty gig in 2004 at the Radisson Hotel in Galway, was in awe at catching this legendary band and they delivered.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭newirishman

I am aligned with the OP on a 1994 Pink Floyd concert (this one same tour but in Wr. Neustadt / Austria)

The greatest experience for me however was Simple Minds with the New Model Army as support, June'ish 1990, in the Arena of Nîmes in Southern France.

We Interrailed through Nimes on that day, saw a poster for the concert, and were able to buy ticket there and then (glorious pre-Ticketmaster times!)

Simple Minds at was probably their top. New Model Army just being them. I was young, in love, too much 'herb de provences' in my smokes...

Best weather. French audience was just giving it all. And all that in almost 2000 year old Arena. Unforgettable.

Post edited by newirishman on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Some great gigs but for the best I'd have to say Queen, Knebworth 1986. Saw them in Wembley a few weeks before as well where the sound was probably better, but the whole atmosphere was cranked up higher at Knebworth as it was the final show of the tour (and little did I know, the last ever for Freddie)

As well as that, Rush were always excellent- especially the 2011 Dublin gig as it wasn't all seated so you could get really close.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Saw them in RDS on that tour in August 89 with Texas (in the first flush of their success) as support. Think it was the day of my leaving cert results.

SM were very good live, still are if a bit on the hammy side

Still have the gig program over at me mams

Simple Minds in Croker in 86 was a great day out, Blue in Heaven, the Waterboys, the lovely Leslie Dowdall and Lloyd Cole and the Commotions. Fecking loved Simple Minds back then.

Post edited by Stillill42 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

U2 with Lou Reed appearing in 87 Croke park was great.

The Smiths at SFX were brilliant - think that was 86?

The Waterboys @ Greenpeace ship Dublin 87

Buddy Guy at College Green Dublin - free concert about early or mid 90s I think?

Jean Michael Jarre entire Oxegen album National Concert Hall 2015 or thereabouts

The Buenavista Social Club with Ormara Portundu- somewhere in early 2010s -again concert hall

Roger Waters- The Point/3 Arena -either 2018 or 19, can’t remember now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The Smiths played The SFX on two separate tours in 1984. The played the National Stadium in 1986, my second ever gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭krusty411

For the pure hype of it either oasis in the point or Cork in '96, the point being the better of the two gigs, over those couple of months in 96 they were at their peak in something I doubt we'll ever see repeated because of how we consume things now has changed so much, you couldn't put the radio or tv on or open a paper without seeing something about them.

prodigy @ day trip to tipp 97

Amen in the temple bar music centre 01

At the I drive in temple bar music centre 00

The hives witnness 02

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Too many fantastic concerts to mention but Robert Plant and Jimmy page in the Point in 1995 was special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

We were up in the gods, my mam actually brought a small pair of binoculars for me.

Vivid memories of seeing Page and Plant's faces up close bouncing around through the lenses 😁

First ticket I ever hung onto that started off a bit of a concert ticket collection. One thing I really miss about tickets going digital these days.

Advertisement