Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate Crime

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There seems to me, going by the number of reports in recent years, of an ever increasing number of thuggish assaults in Dublin city, including murder. These crimes are no doubt perpetrated by the lower social classes on the whole.

Given the account given by the victim, I have no doubt that this was an attack motivated by homophobia. But I have to ask again, why didn't either the Guards or the victim give a description of the assailant/s. Don't they want to catch them? Especially odd of the victim who went into great detail of the attach never once offered a description of the assailant. So either he was advised not to, or he did and the press chose not to report it.

If the powers that be don't get a grip on policing there's going to be a lot more homophobic attacks and general attacks as well.

Actually I don't think the problem can be fixed by policing, it's state policy on the perpetually unemployed that is at the root of the problem, i.e the lower social classes who are running amok all over Dublin city with impunity.

Hopefully the promised changes on sex education in schools come in soon - I think that could help to begin a cultural shift in attitudes.

Online far right cultures of course add to a lot of hate speech which can in turn promote a culture where hate crime happens more.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,831 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You'll need a hell of a lot more to impact this kind of behaviour than altering sex education classes. This isn't something that can be solved with idealistic Twitter LGBT ideologies. A heavy hand is needed as they're running amok.

Yes, this attack was aimed at these guys because they were homosexual. But many of these attacks are because a person is seen as 'different' and is targetted for such. The scrotes didn't go out looking for someone gay, they just love bullying anyone who looks at all different to them.

If it had been some long haired young emo kids or metal heads the same thing would have happened. Or a black kid. Or an Asian kid. Or some tourists. The **** are just out to cause trouble.

Oh I don't think it is THE answer - It is a part of it.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You'll need a hell of a lot more to impact this kind of behaviour than altering sex education classes.

And I totally don't get the argument. The same people talk about homophobic and transphobic bullying at school, so the kids know full well of the existence of people with those characteristics without lessons about them at all.

These are the kinds of lessons that are needed in primary school imo.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

The man charged with the two murders in Sligo has been charged with the attempted murder of a third man. He received a serious eye injury when attacked by the same perpetrator around the time two other men were murdered.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/new-charge-for-sligo-man-accused-of-double-murder-41991370.html

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Those stats are meaningless. Hate crime reports are only increasing as more people are talking about them, perceiving and reporting them. Aside from things like homicide, very few crime stats are reliable. The idea that sex education will change anything is far fetched.

Right ok. People only report hate crimes because of talk, perceptions and other people report them. Not because they happen. I'm embarassed for you with that argument to be honest.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

It is unreliable data. No need for the ad hominem lado.

No ad hominem. Its genuinely embarassing that you would claim people report crimes just because... and not because they actually happened.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'm personally not in favour of categorising anything as a hate crime.

A crime is a crime irrespective of the motive. The gender or race of the victim is irrelevant.

Any physical attack causing harm should be dealt with severely by the courts.

Master of the Universe

I'm conflicted about it myself. I think the term 'hate crime' is too subjective and emotional to be enshrined into law.

On the other hand though, something drastic needs to be done to stop people being targeted for being different.

Not being able to be affectionate to your partner in public out of fear of being attacked or simply being afraid to be who you are as a person walking down the street is definitely something which should be acknowledged.

It's definitely a fear that I wouldn't have myself in my day to day life as I'm not part of a minority group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

I think they are saying people are more comfortable with reporting hate crimes now as opposed to before the hate part of it, would not have been mentioned

Ok so its not meaningless then because we can see there are hate crime reports increasing. Thats what it means.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

Master of the Universe

I suppose my own issue with it is the subjectivity part. It's just too vague.

In theory it's a great idea, making targeting someone for who they are a certain type of crime is a good thing.

However, how do we set the parameters for it? Does it apply to everyone or just protected groups? How do we prove it was a 'hate' motivated attack and not just an opportunistic attack on a person who happens to be from a minority group?

I do love the idea of hearing of loads of scrotes suddenly in court for 'hate crime' charges, but at the same time, is it something that might lose the run of itself with the current climate surrounding gender identity for example? (ie - not referring to someone using their preferred pronoun being considered a hate crime?)

Lots to think about really.

Thats up to the dpp and courts to decide if there was bias involved or not.

If some gay person randomly gets beaten up and there is no clear homophobic intent then it wouldnt be prosecuted as a hate crime. If someone gets beaten up and the perpetrator is clearly spouting homophobic abuse at the exact same time then it night be.

I havent seen any serious claim that not using a persons preferred pronouns would be considered a hate crime.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

(ie - not referring to someone using their preferred pronoun being considered a hate crime?)

It isn't a crime at all and the government has not stated any intention to make it so.

A victim is either targeted or else is random.

I couldn't say which is worse or deserves stronger punishment.

Fair enough. You have no strong opinion which is worse. Others feel strongly that being targeted because of something specific is worse.

Maybe watch primetime tonight

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

Some people are targeted because they are redheads, some because they are black, some because they work in a jewelry shop, some because they are bankers, or waiters, or barmen, or gay, or transgender, or teachers, or somebody's sister.

Some people are attacked at random just because they were close to the assailant.

To me, none is more acceptable than any of the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

"Crimes against the person increased by 14 per cent on 2021’s figures and the number of cases of assault causing harm jumped by 20 per cent in the same time frame.

The difference between 2019 and 2022 was a six per cent increase for crimes against the person and 16 per cent for assault causing harm"

Crime and violent assault against everyone is up.

Advertisement