Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Do some other excellent covers of Star Trek and The Orville themes as well. Worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I watched the battle with the Gorn episode earlier.

I’m really enjoying the series and it being an adventure of the week rather that one story.

I don’t understand some of the choices in the characters. There doesn’t seem to be any purpose in using the characters of Chapel, Uhura and Noonien-Sing rather than completely original characters.

The characters of Chapel and Uhura here are nothing like they are in the Original Series - they are in fact new characters with the same names. Plus it creates an unnecessary continuity issue as now Pike was Uhura’s first Captain but she didn't have any interaction with him in The Menagerie. I’m not that precious about the continuity but they could have been given new names so that we don’t already know their fates.

And throwing in a descendant of Khan is unnecessary - La’an isn’t an Augment and the show already has a genetically enhanced character so why does there have to be a connection to Khan? And why was Kirk’s brother included? He served no purpose whatsoever. The new shows need less “threads” like this. I did see a headline about Kirk being in the show - I had assumed it was Jim Kirk, but hopefully it was only about Sam. I would be interested in Strange New Worlds leading into a series that covers Kirk’s last two years of his mission but established characters don’t need be showing up here. It makes it all feel like a small galaxy.

And is transporter chief Kyle supposed to be the same Kyle from the Original?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

And is transporter chief Kyle supposed to be the same Kyle from the Original?

Kyle was a recurring character played first by English-born actor John Winston in Star Trek: The Original Series, and later by André Dae Kim in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. He first appeared in "Tomorrow is Yesterday" and was given onscreen credit as "Transporter Chief". He had no set identity until Spock addressed him as "Lieutenant Kyle" in "Who Mourns for Adonais?".

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Kyle

Uhura was played by Nichelle Nichols, who appeared in sixty-six episodes. The character was voiced by her in two additional episodes, "The Enemy Within" and "The Menagerie, Part II", and appeared in stock footage in "The Paradise Syndrome". [3] For Star Trek's 30th anniversary, Uhura reappeared in archive footage from "The Trouble with Tribbles" and "Mirror, Mirror" that was used in the Deep Space Nine episode "Trials and Tribble-ations". Twenty-six year later, Uhura was portrayed by Celia Rose Gooding for her inclusion in the TOS prequel, Strange New Worlds. https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Nyota_Uhura

Be-careful of reading the wiki links, may spoil additional episode of SNW, if your still watching them.

There is episode threads on https://www.boards.ie/categories/star-trek

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I was watching an episode on TNG today "Conundrum". It the one were some Aliens take over Troy, Data and O'brien and take over 10 Forward.

Before O'brien beams down to the planet he grabs some pattern enhancers from a part of the Transporter room. It got me thinking. Maybe that is what's behind the Transporter room on Pikes Enterprise. Maybe they keep there pattern enhancers and other Transporter stuff there.

So hopefully we get to find out in season two or the coming seasons.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Pattern enhancers appear for the first time on Star Trek in this episode. Here, and in "Ship in a Bottle", three pattern enhancers are carried in a practical case. ~~ https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/observations/powerplay.htm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Have to say, finally binged watched the lot and while there are some issues, but compared to most sci fi season1s, they are minor. They took some common sci fi tropes, one or two just stealing from other movies and made them into decent TV. Hopefully that continues, it would have held up on its own IMO which is something other Trek wouldn't have in recent years. Like a merge between some decent TNG episodes, with some TOS styling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Season 2 to arrive June 15th, and a third season has already been greenlit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Panning out to be a decent year of Trek. Picard season 3 has been a joy so far, and I really enjoyed the first season of SNW. And no Discovery!

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They must have high confidence to renew before S2 even airs.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

All they need to do is More of the Same and they'll coast on the plaudits easily. A touch glib and can see why the lack of dry professionalism of the TNG era might annoy but this has been pure Space Adventure fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Registered Users Posts: 31,557 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Looks fun. That new Kirk guy is still just not doing it for me at all though... from when we saw of him in season 1, and those bits in the trailer, he just doesn't at all feel like Kirk. I don't mind the character particularly, but it just feels like some other fella entirely.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A couple of points of that seem like specific digs at DSC, such as the captains catch phrase, and the classic Klingons. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

He comes across like a generic CW superhero character rather than Kirk. The revolving door bit looked like he was trying to play a version of Clark Kent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Yeah, it might be a lot of goodwill built up by Picard recently, SNW, LD, and even Prodigy, but that looks like fun. I like seeing proper klingons back, though I wonder if we'll see the OG TOS ones? Could be a fun nod to ENT. Forget the other damn ones altogether. And it's out so soon! We'l have a year straight of pretty good Trek which is fantastic stuff.

Pity what we had to sit through to get there...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Kirk is from Iowa, he just works in outer space! 0/10, unwatchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Was thinking more character development in that trailer than all of DSC

And Kirk is still not doing it for me either, I know its a younger Kirk but should at least be somewhat like we know

And proper Klingons thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Acosta

Why must at least one character in everything, at some point say "I(or you) got this."? Nobody bloody talks like that.

Looks OK. The helmsman is still a bit annoying

THEIR THING

and Spock! LOL :-)

• Advertisement
    Ms

Oh that looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I like this

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Oh most of that looks gooood!

Agreed on Kirk, he ain't anything like Shatner - TOS Kirk would have phasered that thing! 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Very hyped after that trailer! I had a good laugh at the reaction to Kirk arriving in the transporter room 😀

Trailer also on youtube:

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds | Series 2 Teaser Trailer | Paramount+

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The time travel looks like it'll be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Didn't show us anything of Boimler or Mariner though 😐

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Using TNG Klingons is going to be the ultimate verification for some that everything they hate about Discovery was right and their view that SNW is perfect Trek was spot on.

Don't like the whole 4th wall breaking thing that Trek keeps doing now. Leave the meta jokes for the fan forums and stop trying to prove that your "down with the kids"

Also I wish they would just not have Kirk at all in this show. The lad playing him is terrible and I hate fanwnkery.

The show looks amazing though and I don't think any of the other new Trek shows have done as good a job of giving space such a sense of awe and beauty.

I never had issue with Discovery Klingon design.

I was changed for the TOS films, into TNG, because of budget and increase in prosthetic makeup quality. Having a more alien biped makes more sense than the usual forehead ridges or pointy ears of regular Trek.

I, honestly, didn't care either way (except for the mouth gymnastics it forced on the actors)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Chris pine did a good job on kirk. I will give this guy time.

Obviously bill was the ultimate Kirk.

It's good to see a few white straight males around the place. Nothing wrong in representing different types of sexuality and races but excluding all white straight males like discovery did was a mistake.

Well bar season 1

• Advertisement

Id say they are keeping this well under lock and key.

All Eyes On Rafah

Advertisement