Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kin - RTE & AMC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I just mean a hardened weary “been around the block” Middle Aged type of guy, putting his wits against the Kinsella cartel

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

Someone like him, but just not him, I couldn't take him seriously as a proper hard man

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Actually an improved episode!

As has been said , Brens menacing demeanor has spiced things up ...

Made a lot of people uneasy ...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Another major problem I have with the show is where is this family's muscle? They go to some kid on an estate to carry out all there hits surely they have more? Just seems like a massive oversight of the writers. Bar Bren you'd laugh at this lot if you owed them money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Especially considering they are supposed to a multi-million euro operation.

Although except that flaw I do like the show. Think Bren is a proper creep. Will he a good addition for the drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Not so sure, couldn't see Bren getting a brush handle shoved up his tail pipe in prison like what happened to Fran.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

ah no, could happen. By all accounts in the show lore, the KIN gang are hated among gangland.

Proper row and then when comatose he would be vulnerable.

Given the advanced years, could signal the end of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I like this show but you'd sometimes think Paul Williams or Sunday World wrote some of the script.

Who would be calling a guy at a family gathering by nickname Viking as Ben did.

More than that but I won't go on as to over exaggerated it is. 90 million, give it a break unless they the expect this to be watched in years to come.

When Maria Doyle Kennedy was in Dexter, her "fake" Irish accent was slated. I've actually met her in person and she has a normal accent. Actors are regularly directed to exagerate accents, so your average viewer, not regional linguistic experts, get a sense where the character is from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭brokenbad

The way the Priest and Frank were eyeballing each other during communion - i was expecting them to get it on in the confession box!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I don’t disagree. I do find it hard to believe that the average Boards poster is in a position to judge the regional strength or otherwise of the Turkish actor’s Turkish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

I never copped she was in Dexter at all. had to Google. need to re watch that series again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Enjoying this season, far stronger than season 1.

Francis Magee is playing a stormer as Bren, a proper scumbag gangster the show badly lacked in season 1.

And a shout out to the Furry Bog in Whitechurch!

That comment was tongue in cheek and not directed at you.

I've been to turkey about a dozen times and I could not pick a Turkish accent out of a line up. I do have numerous Polish friends many of whom you would never think are Polish. One even has an accent I would describe as BBC English. I bet if you and I went on TV there would be complaints that neither of us "sound" Irish. A director would tell us to Irish it up a bit, and we would then be reduced to Be-jays and be-gorra. Top o da mornin to you.

• Cawlur, Turkish accents are distinguished by their particular pronunciation of “R” which sounds almost like some variants of the Irish rhotic. And a strong east Galway accent is very perceptible, I grew up with two of them either side of me, they could never be taken for non-Irish, so to speak, one used to say “begorrah gehr-lie, you’re rye-at there”, anyone who breaks their diphthongs so strongly gotta be Irish. 😆

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

What happens in prison stays in prison.....never say never again

It's not an unusual tactic. They did the same stuff in Queen of the South on Netflix, with the gang of what seemed to be four people making billion dollar property purchases with their drug money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭threetrees

I miss Eamon! Pity he was killed off.

For a gang mostly family In ireland to pay off 90 million in a few months is unrealistic if that family is also working with lads on the street to sort sh1t out.

They might as well be a mix of The Family in Ballyfermot and Kinahan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Agree with a lot of the recently mentioned flaws. Other than when they were tracking Viking's car the gardai seem to be happy enough to leave this gang alone. Without them being paid off it's doubtful that would be the case, considering the DS cream themselves over a few kilos of cannabis, publishing photos of every bust of every twobit scamp.

How much would the Kinahans be taking in each month here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

For season season 2 so far is a big improvement on season 1. Why?? Because it’s more violent, gritty, less caper music, less EJS, less drone shots of D4 and docklands, more Bren, Viking and his bird, and there was even a few extra durt burds thrown into episode 2. It’s following exact same trajectory as live/hate, except l/h season 1 was also good. Bren for sure us a badass but it’s too early yet to compare him to legendary tv characters like Nidge and Fran.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Just watched the 1st Series and wondering whether to bother with 2. That's probably my answer right there.

I've been involved in the creative industry so I think carefully before criticising creatives. They do a tough job in a tough industry and hats off to the effort...but it just really left me cold on so many levels.

The dialogue is average. It's not terrible but there's no spark for me. I'm not sure there's anybody who has grabbed me at all acting wise. Possibly Gillen who is perrenially solid. Wondering if I was in some weird mood watching it (over a few nights and not in bad form!). As mentioned most of them are just not believable. When compared to Love Hate there just is no comparison and that is the obvious thing to compare to. I'm no expert on acting but I'm not sure you need to be, you just know that you're not immersed.

It's slick but it's not gritty enough.

And as a musician, I have to say, the underscore/music is an issue, I've found it counter-productive and distracting at times. I'd be broadly a fan of Holmes but it seems like perhaps they're giving him too much of a stage here. That 3-note repeating, mono-phonic motif that plays when we're being 'informed' that there is something unsettling happening is really grating at this stage. Very strange. Yes, it's an electronic soundtrack, but still, in the coldness, there should be some kind of cold 'soul'. I dunno, it just feels off. But that's just me and just my opinion.

And the finale scenes with church and religion/murders juxtaposition, I was like "ah FFS...Godfather anyone?".

Disappointing - does it get better? 🤔 😟

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭redn90

This second season, I feel, is better than the entire first season. The addition of Francis Magee as Bren adds a refreshing and "realistic" layer to the show. He feels like the only guy that is believable as a gangster. But I also don't really mind the fact that they don't necessarily "look" like gangsters; the issue is they don't act like they are gangsters. Nobody in the show really does (barring Bren and sometimes Eamon). I feel the Kinsellas would make more sense if they weren't gangsters and they were just money launderers like the Byrd family in the Netflix show Ozark (if you've ever watched it). But I feel this disbelief stems more from the writing than the acting(though it certainly plays a part); however, I agree with your sentiment that nobody really stood out. Though in this second season, Kennedy, Gillen, Magee, and Dunne have been the standout performances in my eyes, particularly Magee. So I would say to try the first two episodes, at least the first one. Then you can make up your mind.

Your one doing deal for 90 million then meeting a street lad pushing his baby in a buggy. Laughable. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

I watch Season 2 Episode 1 last night and it felt like a step up.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭robwen

How many episodes are there in this season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement