Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming an Airbnb Host - short term letting

Options
  • 29-03-2023 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi Gang,

Just looking for some advice, from anyone who is or has been an Airbnb host.

We live in a rural area approx. 3km from our local village which is very popular to tourists, hiking, walks, cycling etc.

We had a derelict granny flat at the back of our garden that we recently renovated. My brother is currently living there and will be travelling on an off for the next few years. When he is away we would like to do short term lets and everything points to Airbnb. I understand at this present moment the issue we have with the housing crises, however we don't want to go down the road of long term letting as primarily this will be my brothers main place of residence when he is home.

We have read up and understand we need to log planning permission with our local council for short term letting. Also need to declare the income for tax purposes.

My questions are:

We are in a high pressure rent zone - will that hinder the PP - even though we cannot offer to let it long term?

How much tax % are we facing? is it worth doing?

Would you recommend getting an accountant to look after the end of year finances or is it easy enough to do yourself?

Any other insight or advise for becoming an Airbnb host?

Thanks all.

Comments

Advertisement