Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house - eir will only install one active service per address

Options
  • 29-03-2023 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Morning all,

I'm nearly finished building a house in a semi-rural area in Louth where FTTH Gigabit internet is available.

The only problem is I have a side-hustle restoring and selling vintage computer equipment (DOS PCs, windows 95/98, old 56k modems). There is a hobbyist market for older networking gear and obviously you can get a better price for it if it's tested as working.

So it would be very handy for me to have a separate copper-based connection to the old landline network for use with that old dial-up equipment, and the address is in quite an old area with people that have been living there for a long time, so I'd imagine there must be landline cables running past my site.

But I rang eir and asked them if the site technician would be able to connect up both FTTH and the copper connection (and I could manage both connections through the same monthly bill) and they said their policy is to only have one active service per address.

Just wondering has anyone tried to get a similar setup? Are there any other providers that might be able to make this happen?

Cheers!

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Add to that they are going to switch off the copper network and transition to fibre only in the coming years with Comreg due to publish the switch off plan in the coming months.

Difficult to see them rolling out a copper line to anyone now.

Answers

Advertisement