Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I'd say most of those getting out are people who were in negative equity after the crash and never wanted to be landlords and now is probably a good time to get rid of the property as it is no longer in negative equity.

Also the current vilification of landlords and renters thinking the being a landlord is like being a charity and that the properties should be let out where the landlord loses money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If you can back this up with some kind of statistic then I would be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Molly1961

I only just started to read this thread, so apologies if I write anything that has been covered. We are in our sixties and built our house in 2001 close to the cottage we lived in for years prior to that. We live on an acre in a rural area. The cottage was and is going to be for our daughters if they would ever like to live in it. We have rented it out to a single male tenant for seven years who is on HAP, we started out with a rent that was 20 euro over the HAP limit in our County and the tenant asked after the first month after moving in if we could lower it, which we did. He has paid 350 euro for a 3 bedroom cottage which we lovingly renovated and extended for the entire tenancy, except for the first month where he paid 20 euro more. Our oldest daughter had asked if she could move in after coming back from studying and working in Dublin (where we paid for her a rent of 550 euro for a bed in a twin room in digs) but we didn't make a decision until I saw the photos of an inspection carried out by the agent looking after the place. That certainly made up my mind.

We served him in April last year with his notice, we had to go to a solicitor to sign an affidavit that we needed the property back for our family, as our daughter would like to move in. She is currently paying 950 euro more than he does a month, only a 15 minute drive from here (rural area also), because his rent has been fully paid by HAP for his entire tenancy. He said he would move out despite the eviction ban, but we could see that nothing was being moved out of the property. When the agent rang, he just said to her: "Well, am I not entitled?". Which clearly was true by law.

We were delighted that the eviction ban was lifted recently. We know he is not going to be homeless, as he stays overnight once a week with his mother in a nearby town. She owns a big house. Our daughter has given notice to her landlady and she said she is not going to overhold if her landlady has found a new tenant to move in. This means that she will have to stay with us until such time our tenant is being moved out. The latest information we are getting is that he was going to stay in a friend's house when a room became available, but that fell through. What is so different in staying with his mother then? He says he can't find anything suitable, but when the agent quizzed him in more detail what he was looking for he said he was looking for a property in the same price range, e.g. 350 euro. I have taken screenshots of properties that have become available over the last month that are in the 800 to 900 euro price range, but he maintains he can't find anything despite looking everyday. Our next move is RTB and solicitors, but just found out that his mother works for a solicitor firm in the town she lives in, so he probably was told to overhold and milk us for every penny he can get. I spoke with someone in housing re HAP and they said he hadn't submitted his notice to quit (not sure if that is the right terminology)

The maddening thing is that he is on HAP and receives DA benefit, due to a problem with his joints, but gives drumming lessons and plays it for long periods of time.

Just had to get this off my chest. I have no doubt there are genuine cases of people becoming homeless, but this would not be the case for our tenant and as a small landlord it sure feels we have no rights to our own property any longer when we need it back for our children.

Does anyone have any timeline on a Determination Order being issued by the RTB these times? Also, has anyone had any luck getting their solicitor involved in similar cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

You should be more worried about getting more landlords into the business to be fair. The ones leavig, for whatever reason, are not going to be replaced. They will only be replaced by REITS, charities and councils. REITs are pulling back. Tax money is going to be stretched for the other 2. Its a slippery slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,670 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You have to move on with the process. Empathy and businesses are poor bedfellows. Forget about what he is telling you. Start the RTB process as everything is now time consuming.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

He wont move home as he can't rent from a family member and would loose access to his HAP.

You need to start applying more pressure to encourage the tenant to move on once the notice period has expired as the tenant appears to be lacking the motivation to do so themselves. Nuclear option is to look at the Music Lessons if they are carried out in the rental property, the lease might prohibit them, the tenant should have their own liability insurance and it might be worth discussing with them if they are declaring the additional income. The prospect of a revenue audit or a reduction in DA might provide them with the motivation they need.

Hi @[Deleted User] thank you so much for your reply. I did find out he didn't have any liability insurance since starting renting, so I forced him to take it out recently. It was mentioned to him he can not give lessons from home.

With regard to losing HAP, I did not realise he would lose it if he stayed with his mother (I don't think she would charge him any rent). I might just get in touch with Housing and check with them.

Sofar we have not spoken to him since my husband brought him the notice last year that his tenancy was ending. We let the agent deal with him. We are worried it could be construed as undue pressure as the moratorium is not to expire until in 5 days. Once his date to move out has passed without him moving out, can we legally put more pressure on by contacting him regularly to ask him if he is moving out?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

I’d also suggest that you look at increasing the rent to the market rate, if you can. Then at least he will have a more comparable rent to compare against when he’s looking. He’s had it too easy, no wonder he doesn’t want to move out

Thanks @Bass Reeves for replying. I think we were naive that we were letting the cottage at such a low rate until one of our daughters intended to move into. This was always the plan, but we now realise that we have provided him a cushy lifestyle for many many years and he is not lightly going to give that up. We are starting the RTB process and I am meeting with our solicitor this week. Thanks again!

In terms of the tenant moving home with a parent that's not an option really as they will be considered suitably housed and it will remove them or drop them down the pecking order on the housing list I'm sure the tenant is well aware of that.

You can contact the tenant as much as you like in order to stay up to date on their progress in finding alternative accommodation but keep all contact professional as I'm sure the tenant will keep records. If the lease allows stop the music lessons in the house, the tenant should not be running a business in a residential rental property without permission there is a good chance it invalidates your insurance policy on the property.

Hopefully the tenant will find a new place soon and your daughter can move in but if the tenant is paying below market rent and is unlikely to find an alternative place as cheap they will most likely try and run the clock down and stay in the property for as long as possible. Your best bet is not to hang around in the hope that they will leave, follow the RTB process immediately in order to get a determination in your favor (if they continue to run the music lessons don't be afraid to use that to support getting a determination order) and be ready to follow up with the district court in order to get an eviction order.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Hi @dumb_parade, thank you for your reply. We felt bad at raising his rent, thinking he would move out. But we realised a few weeks ago, that we had to do it, if we want him gone. We informed our agent that we are raising the rent to 950 euro, but that doesn't kick in until June I think (90 days notice).

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭relevanc

@Molly1961

We were in a similar situation. Leased our 3 bed at a similarly low rent to an individual in receipt of HAP who had a very low standard of hygiene and we also had the property looked after by a property mgt company.

What worked for us was:

(1) Got rid of the mgt company. They did nothing for their fee and were very relaxed about inspections, refused to do a rent review and generally were not looking after our interests at all.

(2) issued a notice of rent review bringing the rent up to full market rate (not in a RPZ). This tripled the rent as we had, like you, rented it for peanuts. The rent review effective date was for just after the termination date.

(3) We got more involved with contacting the tenant, frequent inspections etc

This absolutely worked in motivating him to adhere to the notice. Fingers crossed he is moving out in two weeks to a family member nearby.

what I learnt from our experience is that mgt company’s will not be as motivated to look after your property/interest as you will be.

That being a passive LL is inviting problems.

That renting at low rent encourages problems and a certain type of tenant that may not respect your property.

We are selling up and never again would we consider being LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Course you wouldn't consider being a landlord if you rented your property at a third of it's rate. Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭relevanc

Being a nice/soft landlord is mad but charging market rate is greed!!! Make up your mind

Thankfully I don’t care what you think but your attitude is symptomatic of the housing problem.

When did I say charging the market rate outside of Dublin is greed? If you can find anything like that then I'll put my hands up and apologize. What you did was unfair anyway , tripling someones rent in one go. Rotten behaviour.

He clearly understands what the market rental rates are, as he has been telling prospective landlords months ago that he is paying 950. At this point he still paid 350 (well technically he didn't pay anything at all, as HAP covers his rent entirely). We were still holding off increasing his rent, as he kept stringing us along, promising that he would move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bluedex

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

His rent has been covered in its entirety for the all of the time he has been renting, except for the first month (he asked my husband to reduce the rent, which he did) HAP has covered his rent fully, he has not paid a single cent for years. Yes, we served him almost 12 months ago (April 2022). We are going the legal route with RTB and if necessary then the Court. In a sense if HAP is cut off and the government is reinstating the eviction ban until January next year or 2024, it is no longer a no-fault eviction. To think our daughter asked at the start of the Covid pandemic whether she could rent the cottage and we said no, because we felt obliged to keep him on and only upon seeing the inspection photos we decided to end his tenancy. You live and learn 😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I would have thought he makes a contribution to the HAP and HAP then pays you but you would only see the HAP payment. His payment would not be visible to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Another waste of time. Labour have seen Sinn Fein getting loads of press with the constant "no confidence" vote and decide they need to throw one in and hope they get some movement in the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I have heard of HAP being increased above the HAP limit if the rent goes up and the tenant is at risk of losing his home. Not sure if the tenants contribution would go up in this case. Probably not by much if he's on disability allowance.

Post edited by Emblematic on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They were betting on the eviction ban vote being much closer and now have to follow through on a silly promise (though, as you say, it is their first one).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Ah its always a waste of time when the government are forced to defend their handling on a major issue like housing. Tell us when is it not a waste of time? Also if roles were reversed and FF and FG were in opposition that you think they wouldn't be doing the same?

It's one thing being critical of government policy and wanting change its another using local government and planning authorities to prevent the implementation of policy that may alleviate the situation.

It's also very two faced to look for policy here that will cause the situation to worsen over time which the eviction ban will. In NI SF actually voted in a rent reduction and then stopped it implementation as they knew LL would exit the sector.

Slava Ukrainii

It's a mess isn't it! We have submitted an application for Determination to the RTB and tomorrow I will be going to a solicitor. Unfortunately, a lot of small landlords who are letting one property are not staying in the housing market due to increasing rights for tenants (even if they are overholding) and less rights for landlords as a consequence.

It's not so much rights it the mess of paper work and the added cost and requlations to be followed it involves. Raising rent, getting a termination etc all nearly need professional assistance nowadays. I see even LL's with multiple properties struggling with it.

Then you have the problems with when you have an issue with trying to get vacant possession that many just say f#@k that I am off.

It's the basic flaw with the eviction ban it created a situation where if a tenancy ends you have to seriously look at whether you re-let or not. Many will not re-let it neither may they be selling the property.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Oh id say it will be hardly anyone who will re-let after they get their property back now. And id anyone ever got a taste of dealing with the RTB they will never let their property again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bluedex

Indeed. The eviction ban is actually going to have the opposite effect to what it intended, in the medium to long term anyway.

Another stupid move backfiring because the unintended consequences weren't even considered.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Advertisement