Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Breach of security

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I thought putting them on a plane home if they had no passport was what you wanted? Can't win these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Feck it. I'm flying out in a few weeks. Security will be painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭tinytobe

It's hard to imagine how he went about that?

It could be possible that he did have a ticket and ID or possible a fake ID and went through security with ease. Later on he destroyed the ticket plus the fake ID and stated and lied he never had one in the first place? It's not impossible that it happened this way.

He was probably only questioned but never strip searched?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,208 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

T2, no auto scanners there. Wouldn't happen with Ryanair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭JohnnyFortune

I'm sure the CCTV was checked and he would have been charged for using false documents if that was the case. According to the story a whistleblower has come forward from the airport claiming its a terrorist attack waiting to happen. Country is a basket case. Nothing works as it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Same here, good luck to both of us. But I'm slumming it in Terminal 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

But sure would printing off a random boarding pass not be enough to get you that far through security?

i.e. buying a 99c flight to ungabungaland?

They've stated that he didn't use T1, he used T2 where a human is supposed to check your ticket and boarding pass. He walked through security without showing anything, then walked onto the plane without showing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Get Real

I wonder is the headline and article deliberately leaving out some facts of the case to make it that bit more sensational.

For example, if an OCS cleaning, wheelchair staff/DAA staff/ other employee was silly enough to wear their OCS jacket and airport ID to go through and then do the same again to enter the walkway to the plane. Then simply remove jacket and sit down, thinking they've got a free flight.

But, they've been seen by a staff member or air crew and someone put a call in about it.

It's the only logical way I can see someone not only 1) getting through without a boarding pass and then 2) having gotten through security, being able to get onto a plane. Especially since airlines want to make money and it's difficult to walk past the queue without having your pass scanned.

Now, perhaps it was a random person and they were "lucky" enough to have gotten through on two occasions, and the second occasion just happened to be a flight to Bristol. And that flight crew just happened to not scan his pass or have him walk past unseen.

My theory could be wayyyy off, but is a plausible way as to how it could be done more easily than any Joe soap doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭thebiglad

T2 doesn't have gates at security like T1 but the person manning the entrance to security does scan the boarding pass bar code - so he must have had something which allowed him through. At boarding gate the boarding pass is scanned by Aer Lingus staff so, again hard to see how he got past that and onto the flight unless of course he simply walked past with stopping and was therefore identified and removed. I think there are more facts than reported.

The incident comes as DAA chiefs have been invited to appear before the Oireachtas Transport Committee next month following revelations by independent.ie that a whistleblower working at Dublin Airport has made a protected disclosure about security and screening at the airport.

The claims alleged that security screening at the airport is “not fit for purpose”.

The Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) has found “prima facie” evidence into the whistleblower’s claims of “vulnerabilities” at the airport which could lead to a possible terrorist attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

well, Dublin Airport failed their pentest

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Was it said he didn't show anything at security? I didn't hear that. But I was just making the point that having to show something at security would not prevent some kind of attack anyway as the person could just buy a ticket anyway.

It said on the radio that he barged past the gate staff and Gardai were immediately called as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Terminal 2

Judgement Day on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I find it funny that the only security that bothers a lot of people is when it disrupts their holiday travel plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

He got caught on the plane before it took off. Not ideal, but clearly the system ultimately worked.

Possibly because he sat in someone else's seat and had no ticket when asked where he was meant to be sitting. Not ideal at all. And he could have had anything on him. I'm sure he didn't just decide to do it on a whim either, a trial run looking at the weaknesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

It's a bit far-fetched to call it a breach of security, considering he went through security

• I travelled on an Aer Lingus plane through DUB T2 to Gran Canaria at Christmas, no passport asked for.

• Advertisement

CCTV would not have picked up what kind of ticket or ID he was using. He could have destroyed them in the washroom as well, most likely no CCTV there?

I think he went through security with a fake ID and a ticked booked under that fake ID. He later destroyed them both and was practically inside the airport security zone, not having ID, not having a ticket. And when questioned he said, he tried and security was ineffective, etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd say its more likely that the headcount didnt match the manifest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The last check, the headcount or the fact that he couldn't find a seat found him out.

It's not great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Hope you don't suffer with piles. If so you better hope they have a jar of vaseline to hand. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

I heard on the radio this morning that he brushed past the staff checking boarding passes and passports at the gate, and went on to the plane. Staff immediately called security to have him removed.

So an immigrant tried to leave the country for a change and they stopped him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It is fairly brazen, like he just thought he'd chance getting a free flight? It seems more likely he was testing security, maybe a journalist or a foreign security agent trying to highlight security issues?

I'm not fearful of terrorism really, I don't see whose agenda is advanced by targeting Dublin airport. I mean sure general western decadence or whatever but Dublin is far down the list.

You don't need any ID to get through security, just a boarding card. You don't need a passport to board an Aer Lingus flight to the UK, just any photo ID.

Did he just say that he had no ID and no passport or was he searched? Suppose he said no he had no passport but instead could have hidden one on himself. So getting by or fooling security and the airline is one thing, but if he indeed had a passport but lied about having one, he could have made it through immigration in the country where he was going to....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wangchung

Aer Lingus and British Airways do not look for photo ID;it could be a PPS card, Leap Card or even a Library card. Kids under 16 do not need any ID at all ,travelling with these Airlines. At least Ryanair insist everyone has a passport. This is how crazy security is

Advertisement