Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

I agree with most of this except why differentiate?

The formula is simple: DPR = RU. They are two sides of the same coin. Not even the Russians pretend any different now!

'A group in the Kremlin will have him eliminated'.

This just strikes me as wishful thinking. All 'Kremlin groups' are part of Putin's power vertical. Their interests are totally aligned with that of Putin.

I think that's a good analysis and, unfortunately, it's the external risk factors you note in points 4 and 6 that are the key ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fastpud

To end this quickly there would need to be a massive increase of high end hardware given to Ukraine, including vast quantities of tanks, AFV, artillery and drones along with all the ammunition the need. Ukraine has proven its-self well able to use any kit given to them but most of all they are willing to fight and do the hard yards.

Most of all required are long range weapons and no restriction on where they can be used. All military bases with in Russia are legitimate targets, as are rail networks, communication hubs, bridges etc. Ukraine are fighting with one hand behind their back. Let Russia feel the same pain.

These could to slow or stop resupply into Ukraine making the situation untenable for Russian troops. Additionally it would bring it home to the Russian population that the war has consequences and increase the over all cost to Russia

The west should not fear escalation Russia knows it is totally out matched so won’t escalate. They will huff and puff but will ‘do nuttin’

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

@johnnyskeleton You're not seriously suggesting that they execute POWs are you?

No. And I am against mistreatment and cruelty which leads to no good anyhow. I am not saying POWs should be killed. I am saying it is ok to kill them if, in the heat of battle, it is too costly to keep them and risk Ukrainian lives in doing so. The expression I used was 'it's ok' - with caveats of course.

This is not just a war, it is terrorism on an industrial scale. A horde of criminals led by a cabal of bat-sh1t crazy warlocks in the Kremlin. I don't blame the Ukrainians for getting angry.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

True, DPR and RU are essentially the same, and early on in all of this DPR forces were clearly a sly way for Russia to wage war on Ukraine without flying their flag.

However operationally I suspect they are a separate force that has been supplemented with pro-RU / drafted locals. Mostly useful as a rear-guard, they have also been used as cannon fodder to spare them using official Russian troops, and possibly to frame their fights as “liberations” of DPR turf.

If the main official RU force is pulled out of the area, I fully expect them to leave DPR troops behind to serve the image of Ukraine trying to occupy people against their will, and possibly as a local partisan force.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

The way things are looking now, seems that the major Russian players know that the war is lost, and even if it drags on, its only delaying the inevitable, so the jockeying for lead position has already started, primarily amongst the military. Prigozhin has announced that he's pulling out, and moving to Africa, (he's thinking ahead, and wants to conserve his army for the coming internal war of succession) ditto. Kadyrov. He is also not doing anymore fighting for Putin. Again, he's conserving his military. And the same goes for Shoigu, and Gerasimov. Plus there are a few billionaire Silovicki with their own private military forces. They are not going to lose Russia's wealth without a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

One trick that the Russian MoD has been doing is transferring groups of mobiks to the DPR and reclassifying them as "volunteers". If they subsequently die or are injured they/their relatives aren't entitled to the same benefits that someone officially fighting for the Russian are. It also often means that they get screwed on salaries. There has been widespread stories of DPR and LNR troops suffering abuse at the hands of Chechen troops (including rapes)

DPR losses aren't counted toward official Russian losses either but those are fictional anyway so that's not a huge deal.

It's almost impossible to predict but if I were to choose I would go for a combination of scenarios #2 and #4. There will be a de-facto split (I don't know where exactly - that'll depend on how successful the upcoming Ukrainian offensive is. Perhaps back to Jan 2022 fronts). It won't end the conflict though.

While Putin is in power Russia will continue to try and undermine Kyiv in any way, shape or form. So that'll be everything from spies, disinformation campaigns and bullying of other countries as well as constant smaller attacks. They will very likely try and rebuild their armed forces for another serious assault as soon as they can.

Putin is obsessed with not looking weak so he will want to come back with an iron fist as quickly as possible. The key then for Ukraine will be to get some kind of security guarantees from third party countries or even organisations. That may not be possible but it is their best hope of long term stability. If they cannot achieve that then the next best thing will be to get as much military materiel and as many trained troops as they possibly can.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The rule is that surrenders must be accepted if it is feasible (as opposed to pragmatic) to do so. The usual response is that once the intent to surrender has been identified to the other force, the surrender isn't necessarily accepted, but they are left alone until it can be. To be fair, however, there is an element of reasonableness to it. If two of a group of three people are trying to surrender, and the third is only pretending, then the deaths of all three is not likely to be considered criminal.

Things get a lot more difficult in the case of troops who are attempting to surrender to drones. It was already a bit of a tricky issue with armed/manned aircraft, but it is obvious that a drone has problematic factors in accepting surrenders. They can't take custody and secure prisoners, for starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

I think if there's time to ask the question "do we kill these POWs?" then, you don't kill them.

Accidents will happen, actions or words will get misinterpreted, people under extreme stress will react unhelpfully, and all these kinds of situations should be investigated thoroughly as soon as is practicable.

But you always start from the premise that it is never 'ok' to kill POWs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I mean, several people are saying they can or should. I'm not "overlooking" anything - I'm not remotely surprised that such cases are appearing. It is inevitable. The correct response, and the one Ukrainian leadership has generally always taken, is that these incidents should be investigated and the perpetrators held accountable.

The wrong response is "they had it coming, and we should execute more Russian captives".

There was existing political opposition in Russia long before WW1. The war just created the conditions for that opposition to spread and, ultimately overthrow the Tsar.

There is no equivalent political opposition now. The only realistic current alternatives to Putin are other Putinists.

No, it's different.

You need to separate the military (going badly for Russia and Putin) from the political (no opposition, total control) spheres.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Manic Moran

.....but it is obvious that a drone has problematic factors in accepting surrenders. They can't take custody and secure prisoners, for starters.

Not yet, anyway. But they're working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,427 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Alexi Navalny is the Kremlin's choice of opposition leader to Putin if the needs ever arises for the Kremlin ever to appoint an opposition leader to Putin and the Presidency.

Kremlin's choice as, as @Wibbs pointed out before Russia and the Kremlin are no ordinary Western like state. If the authority doesn't like you. You're dead or suicided. Simple as.

He's the Kremlin schooled opposition leader if the need arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Putin is the Kremlin and vice-versa. They aren't keeping Navalny "on ice" like they do Yanukovych, they are straightforward executing him slowly in a Russian prison.

This isn't Turkey or Venezuela where there's some sort of opposition, there's only Putin (and his inner circle of a half dozen like-minded men who run Russia). He's made sure much everyone's fate is tied to his, especially the oligarchs.

In my opinion, unless the man dies of something, he's not going anywhere.

Really? the

1905 revolution must have been a 'joke' then too, by that metric.

There is no such opposition today.

Seeing as they murdered the last one (Nemtsov) and tried to murder this one via poisoning, it's safe to say the position of 'Opposition Leader' is not exactly over-subscribed with candidates....

• Advertisement

The population seems to be divided into the "patriots" who swallow the media narrative and the majority who have checked out entirely and are in a state of learned helplessness. A lot of a third category who were anti-Putin have already fled the country. At the same time Putin has been savvy enough not to mobilise too much from the areas of Moscow or St Petersburg. In short, I cannot see a mass uprising. The only alternative is a palace coup and even that seems difficult given how famously paranoid Putin is when it comes to his own personal safety.

How do you see him being toppled?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Bitcoin

It can only end in a total Ukrainian victory.

Anything other than the complete removal of all orcs forces from sovereign Ukrainian territory is just going to lead to a frozen conflict. There's no point in Ukraine signing any sort of orc "peace" deal that involves them keeping occupied territory. That that does is encourage putler to come back and take a second bite out of Ukraine later on when he rebuild his army.

Victory is coming though. The orcs have taken devastating losses over the previous year. Most of their experienced soldiers have been killed and their best equipment is all scrap metal. The new western weapons are going to make a big difference when they are finally deployed. Most of the orcs are raw conscripts who will not want to be there. When faced with tanks like Leopards, they are going to abandon their positions and run for their lives. Once that initial rout starts, it will be all over for the orc invasion and putler for that matter.

I think you're expressing confirmation bias in your thinking here.

We'd all like the above outcome. It doesn't mean things 'can only end' that way.

The eventual political settlement is likely to be messy and unsatisfying (for both sides).

I admire your optimism but I think you might be setting yourself up for some disappointment with those sky high expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭briany

The problem with a messy and unsatisfactory settlement is that it's not so much a conclusion as a pause in the fighting. Russia won't give up its ambitions on Ukraine so long as Putinism remains its dominant ideology and likely seek to revamp its military and then bide its time.

It may be that a negotiated settlement requires Ukraine to cede some territory, maybe with the proviso of an internationally-observed referendum in these regions, but if Ukraine cedes territory, it will surely seek to come under the NATO umbrella in some way, and quickly, in order to make sure as possible that no further Russian aggression takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

Vse bude Ukraina :)

There is no confirmation bias, only facts.

The orcs started this war off with their elite VDV and T90 tanks and have regressed to raw conscripts and T54's today. At the rate we're going they will be down to T34's and OAP's within a year, and that is if they are even able to sustain a war effort that long.

Ukraine on the other hand only get stronger and stronger. More troops getting NATO training, more weapons systems, more ammunition factories delivering. They are the ones fighting to save their country, they have stronger morale and the will to win.

Ukraine are winning this war, and they are taking back all the temporarily occupied orc territory. I am certain of this.

100%

Think back to Kherson. For a long time the orcs looked unassailable. Then in the space of a couple of days there was a complete orc collapse.

Same thing with Kharkiv, everything looked great for the orcs there right before they collapsed there as well.

The same thing is going to happen again when the Ukrainians go on their counter offensive, the orcs will collapse again.

I don't think any Russian propaganda is making the case that I am proposing?

All I'm trying to do is inject some critical thinking. I get that the predicted outcomes may not be to everyone's liking - it doesn't mean they are the result of successful Russian propaganda!

• Advertisement

When do you think your certain prediction will be fulfilled by?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement