Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolling a lawn with a tractor

Options
  • 29-03-2023 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭

Hi

A friend of mine moved in to a 2nd hand house recently. He was saying the lawn is a bit uneven in places and was asking me to roll it.

I have access to a tractor and full size roller, something about the size of this: https://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-photography-tractor-roller-image2766657 (More so meant for a big 5 acre field)

I have no bother helping him out etc but I am thinking this may do more harm than good, like a reasonably big tractor on a lawn and turning and twisting and all this

thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

How big is the lawn?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭obi604

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

😁 Massive overkill. An easily hired hand roller will do it in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I've looked after manicured lawns for years and never in my life have i ever needed to or wanted to roll a lawn. For a tightly cut cylinder mown lawn the roller thats part of the mower is as much as you ever need and sometimes causes it own problem. If a lawn is that bad then just scab off the high bits and fill the lower parts in with soil and reseed. If its really bad kill it off rotovate rake out level and reseed.

All that rolling a bumpy lawn will do is compact the soil where there are high spots.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭standardg60

The roller on a cylinder mower is only for creating stripes, apart from that there is zero benefit to rolling an existing lawn, as it will only accentuate the unevenness. Filling the low spots with soil and over sowing is the easiest approach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement