Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Provincial Squads - Categorising Players

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

JGP has bad a brilliant 12 months or so (probably his best in an Ireland shirt, even with some injuries), but I'd still rate Faf and Perenara ahead of him tbh. They've performed over a longer period, imo.

I think one problem with lists like this (apart from their subjectivity) is that there are tiers within tiers. Like if we grant JGP is in the Elite International and Murray is in the Proven International / European Cup level, then JGP is near the bottom of that ranking and Murray near the top imo.

And form is a huge factor. Picking a specific example, JOD is not having a good season, but not a top URC level player (but Conor Oliver is?). Not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Fair enough. I thought it seemed like a bit of a strawman, in that no-one else had accused JGP of being a passenger, but I'll happily put my hands up if I read too much into it. I certainly agree with the statement.

Yeah, form is obviously a huge factor though. I had a look at this just on the Leinster squad over the past 7 or 8 seasons (haven't concluded the work) but you can see guys progress (and in some cases regress) season by season. Garry Ringrose is a guy who has probably climbed a tier each season recently.

Yeah, it's possible I've overrated Conor Oliver there, but I don't think there is a whole lot between him and JOD, and Oliver has had the better season IMO.

The gap between JGP and Murray isn't that narrow at this point now; notwithstanding Murray's good performances in the 6N. Obviously Murray at his best was World Class at reached levels JGP has never and likely will never get to, but for the past couple of seasons JGP is significantly better than Murray.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think it would be perfectly fair to say that Porter is the best Rugby player in his position by a decent margin.

By "Rugby player" I mean those skills that every player should have - Catch/pass , defence , attack , positioning and overall fitness.

If you look at the explicit position specific skills , he would only be at the fringes of the Top tier but as an overall player in terms of total contribution to the game as it is currently played he is absolutely at or near the top.

He's one of the best players in his position in the world, and as much as he's down the pecking order in terms of certain aspects of his game, he does those things for longer and with increasing impact as the game goes on. He used to be a lot bigger, his physique now doesn't allow him to play as destructively, but at times it's like having another flanker on the pitch. Suits Ireland's game plan perfectly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agree completely.

10+ years ago , he likely wouldn't have been considered "Top Tier" because pure destructive scrummaging played a far larger role in the game than it does today although to your point , he could have kept the bulk and been more effective if required.

But in terms of the game today and how Ireland are playing it , I wouldn't dream of swapping him for any other player out there.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement