Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

France rated 3rd in the world and Ireland 48th. Pity they didn't get the draw. Kenny is surprising a lot of people.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

It is a bit frustrating for us as fans but I am sure its a lot worse for Kenny and the team. Ireland are playing some fairly decent football with some nice skill and good passages of play but we cant seem to get a break and a decent run of wins. With the end results we are getting its very hard to have confidence in the team.

Post edited by Anto_Meath on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

When you look at the size of the Republic of Ireland compared to France I think we've done extremely well with what players we have. The underage soccer system in this country is awful

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Agree that they are trying to pass the ball around and play a decent game but it's just not delivering for them.

Not sure what else Stephen Kenny can do, outside of trying to win ugly. Maybe more effort at set-pieces? A few of their free-kicks and corners into the box were poor last night but when they did get a decent ball in they came close to scoring.

Maybe Kenny needs to remember Trapatonni's famous statement, "We are not Brazil."

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I wouldn't say France were expecting that from us last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

Thought France played well within themselves and could have upped performance if they needed to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭Robson99

Big problem is that none of the players are playing with a top 6 club in England. While International football is average a lot of the time its still a big ask for players to step up from the chanpionship to complete with players who are used of playing CL football.

It highlights what a great team Charlton had. Players at the top clubs and some of them good enough to be on a World 11

Hopefull Kenny is given time as he is trying to play good football and trying to give the young players a chance

It goes back to the way the underage system is run here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,727 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Kenny really has had zero luck when u analyse alot of the big games that we were well in with a shout with 5 mins to go like the Portugal game etc. Btw some result for the Scots 2nite!!😦

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Looks like there is going to be big changes to the CAP post 2028 - Germany and other big countries want the current area based payments binned and converted to payments for public services. I suspect the expansion into Ukraine is driving alot of this as it would burst the current CAP model

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭50HX

Payments for public services means what exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭Robson99

Football is always going to struggle against the Gaaa in this country especially in rural areas. The numbers just aren't there. There are a lot of the District Leagues doing there best but its an uphill battle. Seen some very good young fellas coming through but once the chance of a County Minor jersey comes they drift away.

Not sure myself but from what I see on Twitter and in the likes of James Rebanks’ book English Pastoral, the UK seems to be moving more towards farmers as environment protectors rather than food producers. And other “public services” like walkways for hikers, ecotourism, promoting rare breeds of animals, etc.

Maybe the various actions in ACRES give a flavour of what the Dept see as public services. But it seems plain old food production is not enough of a public service anymore

TBH i think the current system has ceased being of benefit to the majority of farmers in terms of margins etc. and simply benefits big Agri-business like Larry et al. The sorry state of the pig, veg and recently sheep sectors is proof enough of that. Farmers will still b free to produce whatever they like but it will b more shaped by actual markets then by subs. I would see it as a win/win cos farmers will still b getting subs, just in another form. Hopefully it will also foster more innovation at farm level including a return to a more traditional mixed farm output that is not tied to one agri commodity and also based on a more sustainable lower input system in terms of of costs, environmental impact etc.

Post edited by Birdnuts on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Is that ar club, district or national level?

The local clubs around here seem to be doing a very good job and the district league has a well managed academy system that then feeds the higher levels after a few years. It's intensive alright, and more exclusive of other sports than gaelic or rugby.

Other than seeing what's going on locally with our lads cohorts, I don't have any knowledge of its systems or what it was like before.

I suppose there's nothing plain about food production systems any more. In general I'd say it's about trying to balance some of the unintended side effects of recent agricultural practices.

It still goes back to who you are and who you know in our area unfortunately. Coaches telling kids you're the best here in a particular position and then getting dropped for a lad who has contacts who doesn't pick up a ball outside of training etc and can't play. Very disheartening for those who do put the effort in and do have a talent. Has happened to a few in our area.

Happening in beef too where the official figures show the only profit is what comes in the post and sale price only just covers cost of production. Even dairy doesn't seem immune to this retailer/processor "business model" given the recent cuts in milk price.

I must read the last part of English Pastoral again to see if James Rebanks vision/prediction from 2019-20 is moving closer to us in 2023. Might be a roadmap for a lot of us

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Two people from Laois charged and fined for shooting Rooks and Crows when not in possession of a derogation from the state to do so.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

All sense and reason is lost. Rooks will never be scarce, and and nor will the grey hooded crow, a merciless bastard on a upturned ewe, newborn lamb or a fledgling songbird or leveret.

This judgment should be fought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Agree totally.

Probably need a derogation now to go to court..

Sounds like it's done deal passed in law. So that law would have to be fought if so.

(See elsewhere Non Disclosure Agreements are sought from hunters if they are employed to hunt, shoot, trap for environmental non government organisations, conservation groups. It's come to nod wink and it's not to be discussed bar a member of the public films what you're doing sort of scenario now. And mostly it was these same groups campaigned for these laws and ammendments, derogation on derogations. The real world left the platform to the made up fictional fantasy unicorn world. )

Kicks in the hole is what some people want.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,559 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It cannot be from what I saw the idiots pleaded guilty.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,559 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Went to Dublin today on the Green bus from Limerick. The better half want to visit a friend who was after a heart operation in the Mater private. So I said I go with her. It's 25 euro return we caught it at 10ish and are on the way home now. She headed up to the Mater and I shot out to meet the youngest lad who is working in Ballsbridge.

Met him in Searsons in Baggot street. The place was black. I had fish and chips and he had a sandwich and we had a couple of pint bottles of Bulmers each. It was 55 euro so not too bad.

Was coming out and past the Four courts. I must go up to the next high profile court case there. I should have go e to see Enoch today. Forgot about him. You pay 100 euro for a ticket to a concert.

Slava Ukrainii

Enoch wasn't there today....

These derogations have been in place for nearly 20 years now. You can still trap and shoot Greys and Rooks in any scenario where they r causing damage. The issue in this case was that these chaps were calling and shooting rooks nowhere near any crops etc. where such damage could or was occurring. I trap Greys and Mags threw the Spring and early summer for the very reason that is when they do most of their damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Shoot a rook now before they breed and it’s six you don’t have to shoot at harvest. In any case they also up root seed, ask anyone who sowed spring wheat. The gobshites pleading guilty. They should of fought.

Advertisement