Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Watching again on replay

kilcoyne not looking sharp from the start, not sure whether he’s nursing an injury . Definitely carrying a few extra kilos.

barron - lucky to get away with a few fake throws. Caught on at least one. I’d say with experience he will come on .He was one of the players who were brought in early because of Covid.

Salanoa - got to have a bright future, mobile around the park, good carrries

Kleyn - solid performance from him in a team under pressure

Hodnett looked like a man that had been beasted in training during the week. Sluggish compared to his previous form

JOD - some childish breaks with ball in hand, might have looked good when you were in sixth year but not in professional rugby a few mistakes including giving up a penalty for a neck roll. Not enough chat with the ref I thought even if just to put a few ideas into his head

coombes - quiet by his standards, maybe tired from all the games he has played also opposition teams are ready for him

patterson - some wacky decisions from him that could have looked spectacular if they came off he will improve with experience. Playing 3rd to two internationals can’t be easy.

casey - has massive potential to be that midfield general made stuff happen when he came on

Carbery - poor decisions by him at times, no sense of him turning into a midfield general

Crowley - not physical enough as a 12, totally different position to 10, getting game time but that’s all.

Nash had a good game I thought- one of his better

Daly bright every time he got the ball.

Haley - not at his previous best but I don’t agree that he’s not potential international in future. Good in the air, good step, almost always makes it back to supporting forwards when he does get tackled. He got stepped by Glasgows 13 for the second try

no Munster player was in great form I thought, plus Glasgow had a good share of their internationals back

ref missed a couple of Glasgow neck rolls and crooked throws, Crowley tackled with no ball in the run in to the third Glasgow try. Patterson tackled without the ball close to halftime. Let Glasgow away with a lot of cynical fouls close to the try line.

but realistically letting the opposition score 28 unanswered points- never going to end well. I had typed 21 first and had to go back and correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Was at this, seemed like a bit of a collective malaise where everyone was making silly errors as opposed to any one person being at fault. We didn't get up to the pace of the game in the first half (defensively, especially our line speed) at all and they really punished us. Hard to come back from that.

Joey actually did okay in the first half offensively but then that crazy pass finished it... just when if we'd gotten another score it would have rightly put the **** up them... I'd agree with the above, time to just give Crowley the 10 jersey and let him develop.

Kleyn, Nash, Coombes, Hodnett, Casey, Salanoa did reasonably well, Nash was probably the pick of the bunch.

Just on Haley, that was a bit of a bizarre take - he's just back from a number of weeks out, that performance was a blip compared to his usual standard - he's been superb for us. I'd have been more than happy to see him get called up internationally based on his form.

Probably the worst first half performance I've ever seen by us in Thomond. Even when they came out in the second I thought we'd see more fire and brimstone and urgency. Worrying (and a bit deflating) as we had been on a decent trajectory of form since the South Africa game.

Hopefully returning players like POM, Beirne, RG, Edogbo, Murray, Frisch can give us some impetus. Any timeline on the likes of Earls/Loughman/Scannel?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,251 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I wouldn't be surprised if that's a pre-planned move. Carbery has been taken off or moved to full back to accommodate Crowley/Healy going to 10 in pretty much every game since Christmas in the third quarter of the game (unless there's been an injury).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭phog

28 man squad for trip to SA

Forwards: Dave Kilcoyne, Josh Wycherley; Diarmuid Barron, Scott Buckley, Niall Scannell; Stephen Archer, Keynan Knox, Roman Salanoa; Jean Kleyn, RG Snyman, Fineen Wycherley; Gavin Coombes, John Hodnett, Alex Kendellen, Jack O’Donoghue, Peter O’Mahony.

Backs: Craig Casey, Conor Murray, Paddy Patterson; Joey Carbery, Jack Crowley, Ben Healy; Malakai Fekitoa, Antoine Frisch; Shane Daly, Mike Haley, Calvin Nash, Simon Zebo.

Thought one of Edogbo or Ahern might be back in the squad for this, but seems they're still a few weeks away.

Is Jack O'Sullivan injured again?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I wonder if travelling party limits played a part in Edogbo and Aherne staying behind.

If the player if 50/50 leave them at home with their medical team rather than bringing them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Delighted to see Scannell and Frisch back. Scannell is limited, but the scrum is so much better when he plays. And Frisch is just brilliant 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Good lineup there although we have a tough two games to play in SA. We have a way stronger set of backs with the return of Casey, Murray and Frisch. Healy - was he not available for the Glasgow game? Or did I miss that in one of the posts?

POM returning will insert a bit of bite boot and bo//ock to the proceedings.

I think we are really missing Beirne in these games but he was flogged in the early part of the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

If The Bulls manage to beat Toulouse, would we not have the Bulls in SA the week later? surely back and forth the Ireland wouldn't be worth it..

Or would the Bulls be played in Thomond..

Probably a mute point, as Toulouse will win...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

A moot point, Thomond if Bulls win, Toulouse if Toulouse win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

nice one..

Assuming Frisch is healthy and will be restored, and Scannell is good to go, there really only are a handful of calls to be made.

It definitely feels like a game where you want Murray's composure from the off, with Casey to add tempo later on.

Will Snyman be backed to start?

The big one - will they back Crowley to start from 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I would be surprised if Carbery doesn't start. For all Carbery's limitations, they don't seem particularly bothered about giving Crowley the job and an away knockout in South Africa would be a big ask of him. (I also think Carbery is much more highly regarded by the coaches than by the fans)

I would be pretty confident of a Munster win this weekend. No reason to fear the Sharks, they look great on paper but that's about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think Murray vs Casey is probably the closest selection call? Would personally prefer Casey, but not big issue either way (particularly after Murray's form in the 6N). I expect Carbery to start, and not sure with regards Snyman, but wouldn't be surprised to see him on the bench again either.

With the games in SA last season, we tired badly as the games went on (presumably altitude a factor), which obviously isn't a factor here, but conditions will still be tough. Need to see a reaction from last weekend tho...

Think Beirne is a huge loss tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Likely team is

1. Kilcoyne
    2. Scannell
    3. Salanoa
    4. Wycherley
    5. Kleyn
    6. O'Mahony
    7. Hodnett
    8. Coombs
    9. Murray
    10. Carbury
    11. Daly
    12. Feikitoa
    13. Frisch
    14. Nash
    15. Haley
    16. Barron
    17. Wycherley
    18. Archer
    19. Snyman
    20. O'Donoghue
    21. Casey
    22. Crowley
    23. Zebo

Which I think is far too conservative a selection. POM, Murray and Frisch will make the team more stable than last week but Sharks will have a much stronger 15 and we are relying on their continued lack of cohesion.

Fineen Wycherley is a weak link in that tight five. He's too small for the second row, but too slow and lacks dynamism for the back row.

Thomas Ahern would be a significant upgrade if he was healthy.

Snyman has to start. What would you be holding him back for?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

If he does, it would be a similar introduction to when Carbery returned from his injury issues; 2 games off the bench, then a start. Albeit very different positions.

He's been training a couple of months, he's had his gentle reintroduction, and the alternative is Fineen Wycherley... gotta play him from the off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If the Munster staff and medical team think he's ready to start then he'll start. Given his injuries since he joined Munster i can fully understand them being a bit more careful with his reintroduction.

Given the fact that its Fineen Wycherly then if he doesnt start then I'm 100% sure he's not ready for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

A few things are becoming clear, and I'd say it's only a matter of time before Crowley has the 10 shirt at Munster.

Irish games since the beginning of 2022, wins highlighted in green.

Only two losses had Carbery at 10 (admittedly it was against France and NZ)

However looking at the averages more closely:

He is good for at least one extra score conceded per game. It's a small sample, but even if you take out the NZ game (where we shipped 42), his average is still nearly 18 points conceded per game. Farrell is a defense-first coach, and it's a simple formula: whoever runs the attack from 10, if we concede less than two scores, we probably win.

I wonder if Munster soon realise this. It fits completely with the impression I think a lot of us have had recently, that a lot of our tries are coming through midfield. It also may not even be defending per se, but just key moments on exits that grant easy entry, etc. (THAT pass against Glasgow).

There just seems to be a risk factor, mostly in defense, when he plays. It would be interesting to see what this analysis would look like for Munster games...

But Sexton started all three games in NZ.

That brings his average up to 15.5 pts per game compared to 17.7 for Carbery.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Does anyone know how Munster travelled to South Africa.

12 hour direct flight or 36 hour around the world and tonne of transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

this is why i dont think the SA teams should be in the 'european' competitions - to have to do two SA trips in the space of 4 weeks or so is a bit ridiculous, especially at the business end of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

They should. Munster just got caught out with unfortunate timing of their league games. Theyre in the league and rightfully are fully entitled to qualify and play in the european cups as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭phog

While I don't have a huge issue with the SA teams being involved, in fact, I think they've added to the URC and may do too to the Champions Cup but the travel is a huge issue for European & SA teams travelling to away matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It is but what can you do about it? It is a very big issue but we cant add weeks to season. some teams may just get unlucky with timing of their visits to South Africa in league being at time of european knock outs and getting drawn against south african side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

its not just now though, the travel involved in the pool stages is a joke too.

what can they do about it? they could have not added teams that are located quite far away to one or both competitions

i think thats fair, they have added to the competition a bit but the logistics are over the top

Advertisement