Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upload Speed Significantly Higher Than Download Speed - Anything I Can Do?

Options
  • 29-03-2023 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I recently moved into a new house. It's a rural area with up to 100MB FTTC available which I have availed of and had installed the other day. I live about 300m away from the cabinet.

The installer was excellent, really went above and beyond on the day with a few things and when testing the line he advised I was capable of getting around 61MB download and 21MB upload but noticed that it was capped at 7MB download and 1MB upload. He rang the centre whilst in the house and asked them to change the settings on his end so that I would be on a 60/20 connection.

They did the same, confirmed all was fine and finished up.

When setting up my devices and running speed tests and I am consistently getting a 6.5MB download speed and a significantly higher 18MB upload speed. This is pretty consistent at all times of day.

I'm just wondering if this is commonplace or if there may be anything I can do to boost the download speed or tests I can perform to see if something is amiss, given I was advised I could get 60 and the upload speed is 3 times higher?

Given that the upload speed is very close to the increased 20 but the download speed is close to the initially capped 7, is there any possibility the upload speed changed but the download change never took affect?

Many thanks for any help or advice which would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

Are you testing wired or wireless? If wired you device might only have a 100mb ethernet port as opposed to a 1000mb port which is limiting your speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Many thanks for your reply.

All the tests I have performed to-date have been wireless.

Can you post up the details of your wireless adapter? Name and Model, because depending on the standards it supports, there could be big differences in its capable speed.

Attached above are the ADSL numbers if they shed any light.

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

Upload speed is unpoliced, so while the line speed has been resynched at a higher rate you are getting your download still at the old rate as it is being limited at a node. Basically a notification was not sent on to other (isp etc) systems re the new line rate. Support should be able to resynch things if you ring them

Many thanks jd.

When performing speed tests the download looks like it is "throttling out" (for want of a better phrase) at the 6.5 mark but it looks like it wants to give a lot more but is being restricted to stay under that mark.

Your suggestion sounds perfect!

I'll give tech support a call in the morning and hopefully get this sorted.

Your help is greatly appreciated 🙂

To update - Eir Tech Support ran some tests and have advised that there is a fault on my line, potentially with the copper wire, that means my line is incapable of holding the speeds that it is capable of.

They are going to send a technician out within 1-2 working days to have a look.

Hopefully it will be straightforward once the technician gets to it.

All sorted.

The technician called to the house today and advised that the technician on day one should have reset the port at the exchange after increasing the line profile.

Once today's technician did that, the line was hitting the attainable speed immediately, as opposed to maxing out at 7.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement