Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kerry Babies Case

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Sure -it's a massive stretch, I get that!

Concealed pregnancies were common place in the 80's. But even then while it was backward, there was a whole well greased lucrative adoption industry and all it would take is a quiet word with the priest to get the ball rolling and not a soul would ever know.

So why wasn't this an option, when it's how everyone else dealt with it back then?

I've always felt that the mother and the killer are two different people due to the nature of the murder. But I'm sure that we'll find out soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'd imagine they will be named, Baby John doesn't need his identity hidden to protect him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

Extremely far fetched. Your story involves multiple people neglecting to mention a local, pregnant teenager to gardai during a huge investigation into a murdered baby. Perhaps you don't know Caherciveen. It's a small, extremely rural town 40 miles from Killarney where most families go back generations and at that time, every one knew every one else in the locality. The mother, at the very least know there was a possibility that that baby was hers. Perhaps the father wasn't aware, it depends to what extent it was concealed but there certainly weren't local teachers and priests walking round knowing all about that pregnancy and staying quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'm not saying move away that month, that year etc

However if I was keeping a secret that big I'd have moved before I started to raise a family.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It still doesnt make it ok that she remained silent for 39 years - she could have came forward over the years and would have been treated compassionately if she hadnt murdered the baby. All she done was gave birth.

I'm inclined to think it was someone else that murdered the baby and if the mother knew her baby had been killed, she stayed quiet for fear of both the murderer (they did stab the baby 28 times) and fear of the legal consequences given what happened Joanne Hayes.

As time progressed, it became more difficult to be shown to come forwards and say they know what happened.

However, I'm guessing and making a story fit my understanding of how this could possibly happen. It us just as likely that the parents are evil sociopaths who murdered for kicks. We'll have to wait for the truth to come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Yes, a teenage mother told by family what shame she would bring on the family,

or worse still what life/s she would destroy if she disclosed what happened to her child, or what she suspected happened.

The finding of the body and the realisation that it was probably hers would have terrified her, and the consequences it would have on the family if she owned up forced her to stay silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ElJaguar

When are the DNA tests being released?

Another thought, it's unlikely the mother received any postnatal care.

Was the investigation that bundled that no one checked to see if a girl/woman who had obviously given birth recently presented to a local GP or hospital?

Would records of that still be available because surely it was checked in the review of the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What makes you think they will be released?

You make it sound like a TV series, waiting for the next episode, or something.

Whatever about then, nowadays a GP would not be entitled to divulge a patients info if a garda turned up at their surgery door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

Apparently the gardai did check with hospitals and GP - thats how Joanne Hayes became a suspect - She had been pregnant, now not pregnant but no baby.

Yeah I said that earlier. It's unlikely she had a natural birth without some tearing.

It is possible that she just left it be. Kept herself clean , kept infections away and the wound healed itself however haphazardly that may be.

Or else a local health practitioner absolutely knew she'd given birth and was present. Kept quiet out of fear etc.

There's so many possibilities.

A post on here earlier- now deleted by mods I think- suggested relevant Garda files went missing from Cahersiveen station. I don't know if there's any truth in that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I think it would be reported now if the mother was underage.

If this happened now and the Guards suspected who the mother was could they obtain a warrant/court order to access the information?

Just curiosity on my part.

It's a public interest story.

A unknown child was murdered.

Maybe eventually the baby will get an identity.

If the results are negative the parents can get on with their lives.

To be fair it is a real life soap opera storyline, whether you agree with it or not.

The only person to blame for the circus is the person who murdered a defenceless baby.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'm a bit surprised you have never heard of it tbh.

It has been in the news regularly enough in recent years, even before these latest developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I remember being in one of the pubs in the mid 90s. An English man had bought the old train station at Kells to live in (he sold it a few years later) and was down chatting away to us. He mentioned the Kerry babies and the whole pub suddenly went silent all looking at him, like you would see in a movie. 30 seconds later everyone talking and every theory under the sun was discussed until we were all thrown out of the pub in the early hours of the morning. Nothing is secret down there. If there was anything to be known someone would have spilled.

Thats why we all thought that the parents werent locals. Turns out they werent local. Not that far away, but far enough back in those days. But someone close worked local.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Really? It wouldn't be the first time a grandparent stabbed a baby to death here. Ever heard of the Dalkey House of Horrors?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

The baby could have been born at home, with no outsiders aware of it. To set an adoption process in train would have involved bringing other people into the loop….with the resultant risk of the secret getting out.

Some people would have gone to extraordinary lengths to keep a ‘scandal’ hidden at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 missie1234

There isnt an adult in the country that doesnt know, or know of a pregnancy that was concealed, baby given up, abortions, true parentage concealed, long lost relatives revealed.

It goes to show there are plenty of stories that that no one knows about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I'm sure it's within the guards gift to release relevant information in a murder investigation.

The solicitor is so lippy he could well be out in the media very quick if it's not the parents, or may even go for a preemptive media strike if it is the parents.

Failing the above there will no doubt be a leak to the media.

Ultimately a tell all appearance on the late late show maybe.

I'm sure we will all get wind of the DNA results at some point.

This is a cold case investiggation into a murder decades ago. The main reason we are having to have a new look into the case is because in the original investigation the gardai were both incompetent and blamed an innocent person (some of the bastards still do!).

Thankfully, the cold case appears to be making progress (with thanks to modern DNA profiling techniques)

And you think the gardai now should jepordise the investigation through leaks? For what? There is no information currently of relevance to the public.

As for the solicitor of the pair arrested, he hasn't really said that much - I think all he has really said is that they did not murder the baby.

LLS appearance? You make it sound like you want the pricks from the '80s back investigating the case (with a bonus framing of someone innocent) with that kind of nonsense!

There were multiple local theories. I'd imagine most of them were wide of the mark. I think a lot of the people throwing theories out in this thread don't understand that things in the very rural West of Ireland work differently to the rest of the country. They still do in many ways but certainly in the 80s it was even more backwards than the rest of Ireland. There aren't too many blow ins and a lot would be known about every family going back generations. Which families were living with extreme poverty, incest, mental health issues, violence, poor levels of education would be public knowledge but people keep accepted it as it was. However, in this investigation any family with that kind of history or behaviour would have been quickly identified in the community and checked.

At a guess, something may have been said within the family in recent times which encouraged the "sibling" to go forward for testing. Parents often start to confide in their children as they grow older

A teenager would be much less likely to tear then a woman in their twenties or thirties. It's not a given that someone tears in labour, it's very possible to give birth with no tearing or such a small tear that you wouldn't even feel it. Tears also tend to heal very well without any intervention.

There's nothing unusual about giving birth successfully without the need for medical assistance. It happens the world over every day.

Ah yes a small tear, like a paper cut you won't feel a thing 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Of course you can give birth without medical assistance, I never said you couldn't. It is however extremely risky......women still die in childbirth.

We don't know what happened here other than a young girl gave birth , baby lived for 3 days and was then murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

We don’t even know for sure it was a ‘young girl’. A woman is capable of giving birth from her early teens into middle age.

The only thing we really can say about the mother is that is likely she was unmarried at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tiddles2222

Wasn't it this trawl of local hospitals that brought Joanne Hayes into the loop because she had attended Tralee Hospital for aftercare following the stillbirth of her baby and that's what started the whole nightmare for her.

I myself was an unmarried mother in 1978. I was 17 and doing my Leaving Cert. I came from a very rural village in the west of Ireland. It was a horrendous time in my life and I carried the scars of shame for very many years after. It wasn't just the Church that caused me to feel shame but "Other Women" who delighted in my fall. Funnily enough I received far more compassion from men.

I was under huge pressure from my family and Cura to give my baby up for adoption but I kept him and later married his Dad. I am so glad I kept him but the point I'm trying to make is I had loads of choices. Elope to England, adoption, disappear for a while and return as though nothing had happened.

This story has upset me greatly. It's not just about an unmarried mother. This was a savage attack on a helpless baby. The attack was manic. It is murder and if I read someone had done this to a helpless baby last week, I would want to see justice done even if I had to wait 40 years for that justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Or married and already had more children than she could cope with.

Advertisement