Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Leaving aside the fame of the opposition and the effect that has on gate/ground income, can anyone explain what financial benefits there are to qualifying for the Champion's Cup over the Challenge Cup? Are there implications in terms of the share of the broadcast income, or is that going to the IRFU anyway?

Likewise, are we any richer for having qualified for the knock-out stages and is there a premium based on advancing further in the competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

More people attend Champions matches over Challenge so the gate is bigger. The TV money is more aswell. As you're being seen by more TV eyes sponsorship can get a bonus.

The the home KO matches there is a finance share but it's still some money in not no money in,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

We have players like Bundee, Hansen, Boyle, TOH or Murphy who have to play again to fit in back the system, + players we can risk because they have (available for Cardiff) same-level back-ups

-so Dooley, Aungier, Hawkshaw, Forde, Oliver, Blade, Heff can be used- (Buckley, Bealhan, Carty, Aki, SHL/Butler, Marmion, DTM available if wanted for Cardiff/Glasgow)

That's making us competitive even resting, as we should IMO, N.Murray, Farrell, Prendergast, Porch.

Those 4 are vital for Cardiff/Glasgow, and have not so much quality behind (Ralston not even played for months, Cian is an international 6, same to be for N.Murray, and Porch would have been close if IQ)

which means

1) Dooley

2) Heff

3) Aungier

4) Murphy

5) D.Murray/Dowling

6) SHL

7) Oliver

8) Boyle

9) Marms or Blade

10) Hawkshaw

12) Aki

13) Forde/Daly

14) Jennings (deserves to start)

11) Hansen

15) TOH

16) DeBuitlear/DTM

17) Duggan/McCoy (depending on hand injury of Jordan)

18) Illo

19) the other of D.Murray/Dowling

20) Butler

21) Reilly

22) McNulty/Bolton

23) Fafita (i'd have the 6-2 split vs Italians) but if conservative then the not starting one of Daly/Forde

Post edited by connachta on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Not sure why we'd rest Prendergast, he's barely played this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BleedGreen

Ralston out with a long term injury, expected back towards end of April

• Advertisement

Because

1 he played quite a lot if you add Emerging minutes + high tempo Irish trainning

2 he gave 100% on the pitch last week

3 we should wrap him into cotton wool for Cardiff and Glasgow as none of SHL/Boyle/Murphy are totally equivalent solution at 6 (different for Aki/Forde at 12 who're both absolutely classy sure-bets)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tintedgreenglasses2016

anyone know if the Benetton game is televised?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

It's an interesting discussion, which to prioritise, League or Challenge Cup. I'd be another in the League camp, and I think that the coaching staff decided the same with the team they sent to Newcastle. Bear in mind that the only match that Newcastle won in the Challenge Cup was against us. Maybe, the coaching staff took Newcastle for granted, but they paid the price for it, and it should now be treated as a sunk cost, IMO, and forgotten about.

As you point out, we could send a half-decent team to Treviso, but they are only three points behind us in the League, and unless we send the best team, we won't beat them IMO, so I'd be more in favour of giving the younger guys a run-out and keep our best team, in particular, for the home match against Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Play the best team available against Benetton, and then again against Cardiff.

if win against Cardiff I think that will turn out to be enough to make the top 8.

I reckon Glasgow will be about 10 points clear of the team below them and about 5 or 6 points below the team ahead of them, so I’d expect they’ll rest players for the final round of the URC.

Could play a semi-rotated team for that and still have a good chance of getting some points out of it.

It might sound like a big call but I reckon Connacht have a great chance of finishing above Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Could see a bit of rotation and a squad that would still be strong enough to win:

Dooley Heff Aungier

Murphy Murray

Prendergast Boyle Oliver

Marmion Hawkshaw

Bundee Farrell

Hansen TOH Porch

DTM Duggan Illo Dowling Butler Blade Forde Jennings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

• Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Let's be clear, if the management decide to prioritise one over the other they can rest players but the players cannot be in on it. Their job is to give their all for 80 minutes or as long as they are on the field.

I've never been involved in a team where we decided that one tournament isn't important.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

Now foa Connacht, it is the time more and more trainings to win over Cardif and Glasgow especially scrum and line deffence. Because they absolutely must to avoid penalty in own side. At v Edinburgh match too many penalties they were conceded. If Connacht can reduce penalty numbers to half than the numbers at Edinburgh match they will win over even Glasgow. Be keep accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

There's a 2 week gap between the games. Go full strength and keep the momentum going. You can lose a player in a training session even after resting them. Remember if Sale win their match we have a home quarter. That's worth fighting for.

I totally disagree with the old argument. Yes you can suffer from an injury in training but way less chance than playing a 80-min game (+ not being rested)

It's like saying you can possibly get wet even with an umbrella, so go out without when it rains

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Couldn't tell you when I went out with an umbrella last. They're not much good in Galway with sideways rain 😁

I disagree with that too. Alway sunny once a day. For an hour, but still :D

Potential 4 games left in challenge cup. Then two games left in URC followed by potential 3 games to win the URC. So 9 games at a max. It's all in or nothing. Strongest team every time is my belief. Would like to see TOH/Hansen/Porch with Jennings on the bench. Center wise it would be Forde and Farrell with Bundee as a backup. And here is the thing. Hackshaw at 10. His kicking was incredible against Edinburgh last weekend. With virtually no possession he ensured we were leading at the end of the first half

Post edited by tintedgreenglasses2016 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

I agree but Bundee has to start. Grand slam winner comes straight back in and he's less effective from the bench. I'd go Forde Bundee, with Tom F on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

What the **** are we even doing as supporters if we don't want them to try to win every game and every competition?

You can bet your bottom dollar the players don't want to be rested for any game.

Some of you are embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

The likes of Blade, N Murray, Prendergast, Heff etc who could be on the edge of a World Cup squad too would much rather have 11 games left this season rather than 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

What supporters think doesn't really matter a toss. Everyone has their own opinion but what matters is management and the team they pick and how they prioritise matches and competitions.

I'm firmly of the belief that we only play in two competitions and that we should give the competition a proper go but for management the priority is obviously the league which it has to be in fairness.

We went with weak teams in the first two games to prioritise having our best team on the field for Ulster. In that game we then failed to turn up.

The Newcastle game was a clusterf### from management whether they choose to accept that or not. The cards fell in a way that to some extent couldn't be predicted but we did need a result in that game either way so some of the selections and the indisciplined way we started that game is on management for me.

Of course all of us want Connacht to win every game but if you've an issue regarding this it should be with Pete Wilkins and Andy Friend for how they handled the group stages rather than supporters giving their opinions as to what is priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Team named

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS BENETTON RUGBY

Saturday 1st April, 15:00 Irish time @ Stadio Comunale di Monigo

Number/Name/Caps

15. Tiernan O'Halloran (217)

14. John Porch (76)

13. Tom Farrell (94)

12. Bundee Aki (123)

11. Mack Hansen (24)

10. David Hawkshaw (13)

9. Caolin Blade (165)

1. Peter Dooley (15)

2. Dave Heffernan (179)

3. Jack Aungier (47)

4. Leva Fifita (23)

5. Niall Murray (51)

6. Cian Prendergast (42)

7. Conor Oliver (58)

8. Paul Boyle (84)

16. Dylan Tierney-Martin (19)

17. Jordan Duggan (37)

18. Sam Illo (9)

19. Oisin Dowling (39)

20. Shamus Hurley-Langton (15)

21. Kieran Marmion (225)

22. Cathal Forde (11)

23. Shane Jennings (2)

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Good to see Bundee back. As strong team as we can muster given injuries. Will be interesting to see how the substitute front row cope, like the look of Illo especially.

Glad to see Jennings getting his reward for last week's performance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

That's a very strong team

• Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

going full bore... good stuff!

Hugely disagree having risked Murray, Farrell, and Prendy, hope that won't come biting us.

Otherwise agree with the rest including Jennings and Boyle starting.

• Advertisement

Nah, can't agree. You have to try and seize these opportunities when they present themselves. To me, pragmatic or not, it's cancer within a squad if you effectively decide to throw a knock out game to prioritise the league.

Advertisement