Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CLERICAL OFFICER 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 frances5420

Does anyone known when new competition is opening

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭torn-between-jobs

Any recent offers of placement - wondering what OOM there at - roughly

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Clonsilla_family

OH is mid 400s and just got placed

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭L390

Call into your local intreo office they will give it to you

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭elfie123

How often do EO panels run? Are there internal and external ones on at the same time or different times? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭raheny red

Nice one. Got onto them last week, will take 5 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Goofy_GigaChad

Hello, yes i am a clerical officer working in the Department of Education. I have been in my position for just over a year and really enjoy it.

I work in the Liberty building in Blanchardstown. It is 3 days a week working from home and 2 days in the office. There are 3 floors of the building for the department.

Interesting work and not stressful in the slightest. A bit boring when working from home if I would be honest. Some days there is not much to do and you'd get one email so you spend the day watching Netflix while 'working' lol

My mother also works in the Department of Education in town as HEO and has been for a long time and loves it too. She also works from home the majority of the time, and has to go into the office once or twice a month.

Depends on the section you're placed in I suppose.

Sounds great lol….

do you have to travel far to get to office , also, is there flexitime when working from home and office ?

Oh, I didn't know the Dept of Ed. were in the Liberty building in Blanch. Is it a big office? I can see it from my bedroom so this location would be perfect! Sorry, I see you said 3 floors. Are there many COs in there?

Hi torn-between-jobs, I don't have to travel too far at all, I drive to work in about 20 minutes, traffic around the blanchardstown centre can be a bit hectic in the mornings but it's grand for the most part :)

We don't have flexi time in my section, whereas my mother does in hers, so it all depends.

I just clock in, usually take half an hour lunch (we can take up to 2 hours if we like) and then when it comes to 4pm, i clock out and that's my day done lol.

• Advertisement

Hi raheny red, yes its quite a big office indeed, there are plenty of meeting rooms all over the place :)

Its very quiet for the most part, i find it relaxing. It's nice and air conditioned in the summer and warm in the winter (sometimes a bit too warm lol!)

Would be handy to get assigned there if ya live very close! :)

Sounds great, I live in Tallaght and hoping I get placed locally … we will wait and see… thanks so much for taking the time out to reply ! Enjoy Netflix - if your working from home 👍👍

Did you get your Garda clearance finalised yet ?

haven’t heard anything in a week

Nah nothing back yet. I've done it twice recently so it should be back by the end of the week fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

I got an first round zoom interview for the civil service in a couple of weeks. Any ideas of what to expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 iridescence91

Hi guys, does anyone here have any experience with the dept of foreign affairs? Doesn't seem to be much information on here about them. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭I am me123

Teamwork, dealing with a difficult customer, GDPR, one question threw me a little bit, asked about the features of microsoft word I was familiar with/ used at work. I prepared answers for the below areas & it really paid off;

Tell me about yourself

Experience relating to the role

How do you stay organised

Teamwork

How do you maintain confidentiality

How do you handle disgruntled clients

How do you priorotise tasks with same deadline

Strengths & weaknesses

Tell me about a project you have worked on that you are proud of

Some of the potential issues with sending and recieving email

Tell me about a time you went over and above for a customer

How would you priorotise a project that involved a lot of data

How would you deal with a colleague not pulling their weight?

Quote Thanks!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jonnybangbang

HI Iridescence91. I joined the civil service in 2019 as a CO in the Department of Foreign Affairs. I recently (November) got a promotion to EO in the open competition though PAS. Luckily I was able to stay in the Department after that. While Nigel Fairsevice is correct there is a chance you could be put in the passport service as it is the largest single section in the Department between offices in Dublin and Cork. But if you consider there are over 2,000 people working in the Department there are also a lot of other sections you could be working in. Such as in one of the Ministers offices (Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ministers of State etc), Protocol, on a regional desk - dealing with correspondence from other countries or helping gathering and processing of information to be used by the Minister or working on projects with an Irish Embassy/Consulate, Consular Assistance- Helping Irish people abroad, HR, Finance, Property Management Unit, Registry etc. Working in the Department of Foreign Affairs also offer you the opportunity to work abroad in one of the many Irish Embassy's and Consulates around the world if it was something you wanted to do. (you wouldn't be doing this straight away, but it is a future option.) I hope this helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 iridescence91

Thank you so much for that information, you've been so helpful! It sounds like a great place to work overall. I'm totally new to the civil service so I'm just trying to get as much information as I can.

I hope you don't mind me asking, do any of the sections in DFA offer remote working? I know it most likely depends where you're based. I'm waiting on a call from the HR department to find out where I'm going.

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement

Hi

do you mind me asking what OOM roughly you where ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jonnybangbang

it is subject to the area/section you are placed in and that sections business requirement. I don't want to tell you you will get blended working and then your put in a section you can't avail of it and the same vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭furrybones

Departments run their own internal competitions at various times, and they're not linked to Public Jobs campaigns, but I'm not sure how often.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

Has anybody had to fill in an ASC10 superannuation form for the job?

I'm trying to fill it out as part of the contract but I'm confused, does "main employment" refer to this position I've been offered and how do I answer the question about the public service pension scheme for THIS employment if I have not started or been given any information on this?

If the answer is yes then what are the "further details" and if it is no then do I just tick the other three boxes no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Kirbi

Your main employment is usually the one you are full time in - where you want the bulk of your ASC credits applied.

You will generally be a member of a PS pension scheme in the employment as long as you're not a contractor and under 70 (it's mandatory).

The further details box refers to the 4th question, and can be left blank if not relevant.

Thanks,

I've not begun working in the department yet though and I've never previously worked in civil/public service, currently unemployed too, so do I answer yes or no?

Need this form filled out for tomorrow and I'm still stumped by this after reading everything a bunch of times :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Kirbi

It should be yes, and yes, for you then on question 1.

Thanks :) didn't want to keep wrecking HRs head lol, have a good evening

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭furrybones

I thought that form was only if you had 2 public sector employments? A relative of mine had to fill it out, but it was because he was doing the census and was already employed in the CS.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Advertisement

No idea. I'm still really confused but I was told I had to complete it? There are additional spaces for more public sector employments.

It's requiring a "payroll/works number" which I have no idea about either? Is that something I'll find somewhere? Surely it isn't referring to something past with Main Employment?

Advertisement