Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain waxing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Anyone made their own wax?

https://youtu.be/XY7QI3xfa_4

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭RunDMC

Yes, paragon wax from the hardware store, and PTFE powder from AliExpress.

R

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

PTFE is atrocious for the environment.

Chain waxing only lasts a few 100k doesn't it? Are there many extra watts you get for the bother?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I raid that as a few hundred thousand k and thought I'm getting on board! Between this and the ultrasonic cleaner, does anyone not just give their chain a cursory wipe down regularly and a bigger clean every so often?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

For those that hot wax, do you leave the wax in the slow cooker and reheat and reuse the same wax each time (after strippig the dirty chain etc)? Seems pricey if you had to use fresh wax every time!

Also anyone using the Silica Secret Chain stuff https://silcavelo.eu/products/secret-chain-wax-blend

And if so where are you getting it?

Actually on that front people care to share the products they are using and where getting from? Cleaner/Degreaser, hot wax or drip wax

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Don't use PTFE, not worth the extra faff (@eeeee never knew about the environmental impact, so I can feel more smug about that now).

@Bambaata I reuse it but if you don't fully clean the chain its ruined very quickly. I leave it in a tray. Once you remember to do it regularly, the quickest way is a quick wipe and then pour boiling water over it. If you've left it to long, its boiling water, followed by Xylene or whatever you use, maybe 2 or 3 washes, then dry and into wax.

I use lab grade paraffin wax, reasonably cheap and does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Wife has finally finished that jar of peppers so I am going to give a start on this tomorrow.

What do I need from the hardware store? Just white spirits and alcohol?

Then I will clean cassette, chainrings and jockey wheels with degreaser & a brush.

Anything I am forgetting?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

I've just cleaned my chain with white spirits and methylated spirit from screwfix. Bottled it at the last minute to wax and instead used squirt.

Here is the Zero Friction Guide

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once had what came close to an argument with a sales assistant in a bike shop (who i'd previously complained to the owner about) who started accusing me of having poor chain hygiene when i questioned the instructions on a bottle of liquid wax lube; it stated you needed to completely strip your chain bare and reapply after 600km, which i pointed out was less than once a month for me during summer, that the supposed selling point of wax lube was that it lasts really long.

that's the long way of me asking what that bottle states is the longevity, i guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

How often should I re-lube?

It depends on riding conditions. In general, when you start hearing a dry chain noise, re-application is already due. In wet, muddy conditions it will not last as long as in dry-dust free conditions. In general, from 30 to 300 miles on one application – the chain will stay clean. If you expect riding in wet conditions, lube your chain the day before if possible.

That's from their website. Been using it on the trainer and noticed it's quieter than the finishline Ceramic Wax Lube I've been using. It could just be in my head though haha

• Advertisement

I have three cleaned chains hanging in the garage ready to be waxed. I did two mins shake in white spirits, then wipe down and into new white spirits and leave overnight, then finally wipe down again and two mins in alcohol and wipe with a clean rag. Chain was spotless after that and wasn't too difficult.

How strict do you need to be on cleaning the drivetrain before using the waxed chain? I'm using a new cassette (assuming there is no factory grease on a cassette like there is on a chain?) so planning on spraying a bit of degreaser on the jockey wheels and chainrings and just wiping down with a cloth - is this enough?

I gave a deep clean the first time, scraped off all the crud but its never really built back up. All I do know is a wipe with a garage cloth, sin e.

What fancy contraptions are people using for heating the wax and do you pay attention to the temperature? Seems a low melting point for longer lasting (around 70C) and a hotter melthing point if its pure performance thats wanted (about 90C). Thinking of getting a cheap infrared gun and using a pressure cooker but just before i buy anyone doing anything simpler! Can get tht setup for about €50 from amazon so not bad anyway.

I'd never heard this (although I want to hear the reasoning which I am sure there is), my understanding was to keep it not far above melting point (I am using lab grade paraffin wax) so about 70 degrees as otherwise it doesn't last at all (no proof, just what I was told). In regards performance, once its clean and not worn, I am not sure there is much more to eek out of it

From videos ive seen basically more wax stays on if applied at lower point and less at the higher (as it is drips away more). So performance but not long lasting = higher point and visa versa.

cant remember which videos but ive watched some with Silca, Victor Campenaerts etc

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do you break the chain at the quick link (and replace) or do you manage to reopen & close the link when re-waxing the chain?

I also saw that part on higher vs lower temperatures (I think it was on Victor Campenaerts' YouTube channel) - he said if you have a race tomorrow then go to the higher range (90 or 95 degrees+), lower if you just want it to last for longer.

I use a slow cooker and pizza oven IR thermometer. First time I did it, I just put the chain in the wax on a hook, turned the slow cooker onto low setting and left it for an hour (this is close to what is recommended by Molten Speed Wax). I might leave it a bit less time next time round.

For the quick link - some are reusable, some say they are single use. I've ordered a few spares so I don't plan to reuse too many times in any case.

I don't replace it, I have spares and will if I am not happy with it clicking in but I have reused quickly is multiple times without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Can the left over wax be used in anyway for applying to legs and removing one's leg hair 😅

Does it not run out quick if you lift it out quick at 70? I thought that was the reason you left it in until the wax started to solidify? I'd also love to spout out some chemistry bullsh1t about braking up hydrocarbon chains in the wax and in effect make it more slippery but I would be lying (it could be true though). I really thought based on lab experience that overheating the wax, as well as being more of a fire risk, in our line of work made it harder to use and the wax effectively breaks down for want of a better word, maybe deteriorates is the right word.

Not saying it does or doesn't make a difference but like a lot of things with chains, the biggest affect in efficiency is having a clean chain followed by s straight chain, everything after that is so marginal it is not detectable for most of us.

• Advertisement

Well i managed to get 3 chains all waxed up and ready to go for GOrey, did a ride today on one of them and immediately noticed how much quieter it was! I could hear the chain moving in the big ring when using the Rock n Roll Gold lube. Barely noticed a noise with the wax. How long do those that have been waxing a while think it takes to "break" the chain in, ie its very stiff to try rotate by hand to start and i came across a figure of 20mins riding sorts it? After the hour it was good anyway but just curious if i need to change chain before a stage in Gorey and how ling of a warmup to do etc!

I typically roll it over a door handle so it loosens any kinks, stiffness is gone after a few minutes but make sure you have ridden it as it will jump for a few minute until it loosens. If your planning on swapping after each main stage, the warm up alone shoudl be enough but one chain will last the weekend in my opinion (but I take no responsibility if you chose to and it doesn't).

Yeah i did a light roll f each to break them a little so reckon im good. I wont change if it stays dry, just handy having the 3 with me. Seems if rain does arrie it might be for the TT and for Mondays stage but not from the gun (fingers crossed!)

Advertisement