Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

L&T was just a lazy cash in.

OK, quite a few of the Marvel movies are 'IMAX enhanced' I recall the end of S2E1 of The Mandalorian had fun with the aspect ratio as well. Any other properties having fun with the aspect ratios?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The documentary it is based on is really good and well worth a watch. I know the film has been massively delayed due to having to recast and reshoot (Armie Hammer was in it...).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've seen it and as you say, well worth a watch cos the story of those footballers was absorbing. One of those documentaries whose success lies in pulling you in, even if you possess little to know interest in the topic.

Some aspects of their story are bound to trigger those who get angry about certain subjects mind you, assuming the dramatisation sticks to certain players' backgrounds... 🤣

Oh yeah forgot about that! I can already hear the screams of wokeness etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Does anyone know if HISTORY OF THE WORLD PART II is going to be on Disney+ here?

I googled but can’t find any information on its release except in the US.

• Advertisement

Alaska Daily has been added

Hilary Swank plays the lead blurb below.

Recently disgraced reporter Eileen Fitzgerald leaves her high-profile New York life behind to join a daily metro newspaper in Anchorage, Alaska, on a journey to find both personal and professional redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

Just started watching this tonight. Only 4 episodes up for season 1 so far, which I managed to watch back to back, with new one each Wednesday - certainly got into it quick enough, so will stick with it to see the outcome from the remaining episodes of the season, but yeah I’m liking it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Poem58

Anyone watching The Patient? Really enjoying it here. Steve Carrell and Domhnall Gleeson are great in it. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I saw Abbott Elementary (which is very enjoyable little light comedy) season 2 has been added (must have passed me by)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Was just added yesterday. One of the most enjoyable comedies in recent years IMO

One of the few shows we watched as a family too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Enjoyed fleishman is in trouble

its done really well.

Yeah I really like it.

Only 10 episodes up of season 2 (there are 22 seemingly but it hasn't finished airing in America).

I am guessing they will release the rest in one big go when season finishes in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

So I just spent the last few months going through the entire series of 24. I never watched it in its original run and always regretted missing the boat on it as I imagined it would be something I would like. Here are my brief thoughts on each season below. Spoilers obviously...

Season 1 – I enjoyed the first season a lot. The moment where Jack shoots Nina and it turns out he had given her a bulletproof jacket is the moment I became a fan. Loved that. Nina being the mole and killing Teri was a huge shock. I was surprised the show didn’t provide a happy ending. Little did I know this show doesn’t tend to like those…

Season 2 – I liked this season as well. If you told me that I would come to admire George Mason and that he would go out like a hero, I wouldn’t have believed it; and yet that’s what happened. It was, however, starting to get annoying how Kim kept getting into trouble. Michelle was a nice addition to the show and Sherry continued to be a good villain. Mandy popping up in the finale to poison David Palmer was nicely done.

Season 3 – Wasn’t so keen on this season but it had some good moments. I liked the twist that this time the CTU mole Gael was actually working with Jack and Tony. It was good to have Kim at CTU as it stopped her getting in trouble. Wasn’t a fan of her boyfriend Chase, though. I didn’t like Chloe much initially but would grow to become a big fan later on. I liked the virus storyline but Stephen Saunders was a weak villain imo. Nina coming back felt a bit contrived. I did feel for Chappelle and was shocked he didn’t get saved as I felt sure he would.

Season 4 – This season picked things back up in my eyes. I thought Habib Marwan was one of the better villains. Edgar, Curtis and Bill would become some of my favourite characters, and it was nice to see Michelle return. Jack finally going up against Mandy was fun as well. I also liked Logan as the Vice-President finding himself over his head. Not everything was great. Didn’t like the storyline with Erin and her daughter; I thought they could have done more with Erin’s character tbh. Overall, I liked it.

Season 5 – Fantastic opening episode to this season and I was shocked that both Michelle and David Palmer died. Gutted later in the season when Edgar died. Tony appeared to have a pretty underwhelming exit, although considering what happened to the character, I sort of wish he had died here. Kim returned with some very wooden acting upon finding out Jack was alive. I thought Charles Logan was great in this season. Martha Logan too. Aaron really steps up also as a character. I would say this is one of the better seasons and maybe the best one.

Season 6 – Seems like this is one of the least popular seasons. I get that, although I didn’t hate it as much as Season 8. The family stuff with Jack doesn’t really work well and I think it’s his brother that’s the biggest problem as they just weren’t believable as siblings. I liked Wayne Palmer but he was probably the worst President on the show as far as suiting the role. I liked Nadia and would have liked to see more of her. Likewise, Mike Doyle disappears after this season - presumably blinded? Biggest thing I hated about this season was Curtis getting shot by Jack. Such a lame way for him to go out.

24: Redemption – Annoyingly, this isn’t on Disney, so I had to order it off Amazon. I got the version with extra footage but I didn’t think it added all that much. I did like the insights offered in the commentary part which Kiefer Sutherland is involved in. I liked this episode and thought it set up the new season well. I enjoyed the relationship between Jack and Willie too, and the new President was set up strongly.

Season 7 – I had high hopes for this on the back of Redemption, and while I liked the first half or so, I felt it became a big mess. On the plus side, I liked the introduction of Renee. (Annie Wersching died while I was going through this season, which made it tough to watch at times). I came to like Larry and Janis. Bill Buchanan went out like a hero, which I was pleased about. The stuff with Tony is, I suppose, what soured me on everything. I was a fan of the character but the stuff he does here, like the callous killing of Larry, endangering Renee, mistreating Jack etc really irritated me. I get his motivation, but I think the writers could have tweaked things slightly here and there to make him more sympathetic. I also think Jack because of his exposure to the virus was made way too ineffectual. They nerfed him too much. I liked President Taylor at least, but even that would change…

Season 8 – This for me was the worst season of 24. Renee dies, Jack goes mental, Chloe ends up at odds with him, and I even turned on Logan in this season. The Dana turn seemed to be done for shock value given how meek she was early on. President Taylor went from this dignified stateswoman who locked up her own daughter to protect her principles, to turning into a bully by the end. The ending was at least good, and I liked Jack’s comment to Chloe along the lines of, ‘I never thought you and I would be the ones to last’, and thinking back to everyone who came and went, it’s pretty mad that’s how it panned out.

Season 9 aka Live Another Day – I thought this was a return to form. I liked the London setting and thought Agent Morgan was a good addition. It was good to see Audrey and James Heller return. Fry as British PM was fun. Margot Al-Harazi wasn’t one of my favourite 24 villains, although the drone concept was interesting – I liked how Jack dealt with her! Nice to see Cheng pop up and fitting since Audrey was back. My main issue with this season was how unrelentingly bleak this ended up being – even by 24 standards. Chloe’s kid is dead, along with Morris, and her life seems in bits. Audrey fecking dies and poor Jack has to have another meltdown. Morgan seemingly quits over failing to keep her alive. And that conversation between President Heller and the PM at the funeral – wow, has there been a more depressing and disheartening moment than that? Overall, good season but the most demoralizing for me.

And that brought me too…

24: Legacy – Yeah, this ain’t it. Some familiar elements to enjoy in terms of the structure and pacing but the main guy, Eric Carter, just doesn’t have sufficient charisma. The love triangle with his wife and brother rather fizzles out at the end as well. I liked Miranda Otto's character Rebecca the most and she was the most believable of the new CTU crew. The others are pretty bland. ‘I was Edgar Stiles’ cousin’. Oh yeah? Anything else about you? Tony showing up was spoiled for me ahead of watching but even that appearance is lacklustre, and here he’s willing to kidnap a little girl without any qualms. Those writers did such a number on his character. Speaking of the writing, in the finale, the bad guy who has betrayed his boss in order to save his daughter decides to tie up his boss and not to bother to check if there is any potential weapon in the vicinity? Such as a handy pistol within arm’s reach? I wasn’t a fan of this series and can’t say I’m disappointed it got cancelled.

I do hope they bring back 24 in future as it feels like Jack didn’t get a proper send-off. With the way Russia is viewed atm, it’s surely the right time for him to return. It won’t work well without Bauer involved in some capacity imo, although I’d probably still give a new series a try.

I enjoyed the series overall. Favourite season as mentioned was probably S5 and least favourite S8, although I’d rather watch the latter than Legacy. 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I've enjoyed seasons of 24 but never watched it all. Interesting fact I heard recently is that the studio wanted to option The Da Vinci Code and adapt it for a series of 24 but the book became too popular and therefore the rights too expensive but man I would have loved to see that.

I watched 24 on it original release and loved it but missed the first few episodes of season 5 (no catch up service back then - how did we survive? :D) and just never got the chance to watch the rest.

It is one of the top reasons I have Disney+ and I started a rewatch but I’ve only managed to get through 3 seasons.

Between all the new stuff to keep up on and annoying things like needing to have a job, etc I just can’t get the time for 24

Is there an official list of release dates for forthcoming series and movies?

I know a few sites have them but the list every single episode and I just want the premiere dates.

The show will be on its mid-season break.

same happened with the new Wonder Years

Episodes were weekly until the mid-season and then I think they wanted until they aired the last one in the US before uploading the rest here.

Hopefully though they’ll start releasing Abbot Elementary weekly when it returns. They may have held off on those first 10 so that there wouldn’t be a big wait here for the mid season return.

I watched The Dropout and enjoyed it. Great performance from Amanda Seyfried. The voice of Elizabeth was unsettling and I was wondering if it was being overdone, but then I saw how she actually spoke in reality and if anything the show was kind on that point.

Sunny Balwani, played by Naveen Andrews on the show, is set to be imprisoned tomorrow. He got 13 years. Elizabeth Holmes got 11 years and has to serve it from next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I found the Dropout disappointing. I'd read Bad Blood so was really looking forward to it. I thought Seyfried's portrayal was like someone doing an impression of Elizabeth Holmes for a skit. She had the movements and the voice but it was way too mannered in my eyes.

• Advertisement

Anyone on the annual subscription planning to cancel before the next billing? I'm 90% sure I will. Been on Disney Plus since the launch and feel I've got good value out of it but think I've seen most of what I want for the moment.

We’re similar. Have a few days to decide but think we’ll get off the yearly and join back in a while, maybe at a month at a time.

Have enjoyed a lot of stuff and I think €9 a month is still decent but the back catalogue isn’t going to keep us there and we can let some of the newer stuff build up again

Talked it over. We decided to cancel. We’ll see what it’s like later in the year

I cancelled it too. Don't have much left on my watchlist except a few films so I'll spend my remaining time going through them.

I finished Under the Banner of Heaven. I thought it was quite good, although a bit too long in parts. I was quite interested in the stuff about Mormon history as my knowledge of it consists of what I learned from the South Park episode on Mormons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Watched Boston Strangler - really enjoyed it, great performance by Keira Knightly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

It's fine not really what I was expecting, more a tribute to the 2 women (which is totally frontloaded on McLaughlin) who persisted covering the crimes in the Boston Record American than any real notion of the actual Strangler.

For the large part it's accurate but...

really spunk it on the Boston Stranglers business whatever modern theories there are it's easily known McLaughlin only ever thought DeSalvo was responsible...a right fail that & the telling of the copycat killers was pretty shoehorned too imo

Yes performances are good which keeps it threading water decent supporting cast Carrie Coon,Bill Camp,Chris Cooper etc. Kinda surprised no attempt of a Boston accent from Knightley totally assumed that was a given too.

As an investigative type thriller with Knightley on board it was hard not to remind me of 'Official Secrets' a film she did only a few years back which was far far better and much more compelling.

Overall the kind of reasonable watch that at least speaking for myself will have forgotten about come the end of the year.

Post edited by Wrongway1985 on

I see a new musical show has been added called Up Here, looks a bit like Crazy ex-girlfriend maybe?

Mae Whitman (who is generally excellent) is the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

"Her"?! :-D

She really is great though, and I'll always think of her as Katara in Avatar :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Ember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Really enjoyed no offence. Totally binged it

Advertisement