Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kellie Harrington. Was she hung out to dry or did she hang herself out to dry?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What do you think she should be criticised for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Finally, there is NO WAY Shane Hannon would have asked that question if it was a man he was interviewing. Women are easy prey to pick apart ya see.

You were making some sense until you go to this part. There's absolutely no foundation to this, along with this idea that she was somehow targeted because she has a working class accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Acting like a petulant child when asked a fair question relating to something that she was promoting, it came across as small time and unprepared.

Why do you think Shane hannon should be publicly and financially ruined?

She is a national hero and let's hope this dies down and that journalist is further exposed for his hypocrisy and maybe he might be the one that suffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I never said he should be financially ruined.

He set out to make a show of her while having opportunities in the past with men and avoided it.

I hope he suffers publicly for being a hypocrite considering his past tweets.

He might have done a bit of preparation and deleted those tweets before going after someone else for past tweets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

I really don't need their support or lack of to have an opinion on an issue. I think you might find that most people are not a hive mind on all matters.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

The sin Kellie committed that has so many luvvies on Twitter (and here) so worked up is that she exposed a fact.

It is a fact that the little girl (who is conveniently never mentioned in these attacks) was raped, mutilated, and murdered by migrants.

Progressives, or whatever they call themselves, hate facts. Their whole world view is based on a denial of facts.

Like JK Rowling, with her crazy assertion that women are women, Kellie dared to share a fact that didn't suit the woke agenda.

People (especially women for some reason) who state anti-woke facts must not only be berated, but, if possible, must be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I don't see this as a migrant issue.

I don't see this as a woke issue.

I don't see this as a racism issue.

I don't see it as an academic discussion of beliefs.

This is simply an issue of people's rights in interviews and the ethics of interviewing someone about their status as a role model. The problem was someone bringing a political narrative into a sporting arena with a person who has no interest in such and is not equipped to do so. Spar want a famous role model to push their brand and business - like any business they attach themselves to buzz words like diversity and community without a thought for how a journalist might angle that to generate controversy and views.

Anybody bringing anything else to the table in terms of political issues outside of the interview, issues with the woke or far-right, is muddying the waters of that issue with their own concerns, political concerns, with migrancy, wokeism, the far right, nationalism, and geo politics.

Shane Hannon opened that tin of worms. Kellie thought she could close it. But everyone else is exploding the whole tin with their political concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The nationality of the individuals who murdered that girl is scarcely relevant to anything. As a former major colonial power, France is one of the most multicultural countries in Europe. It stands to reason that with a population of 66m, some horrible and awful crimes will be carried out by non nationals in any given year.

Right wing news sources like GB News trying to turn this into a 'migrant' issue adds nothing to the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I don't believe she was targeted as such, but it was definitely fishing exercise by Eva (And her team), Harrington was the unfortunate that was caught out by it. Shane would have know this, he's in the news/media business, so again, why did he ask the question if he knows it's stunt?

Sorry to break this to ya, but journalists asking Women questions that they wouldn't ask Men is actually a thing. I get #CoverTheAthlete was 7 years ago and Irish people forget, but it's still going on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

I'd imagine the "nationality" of those murderers is very relevant to the parents of Lola Daviet, as the little girl would still be alive if they had stayed in their own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It stands to reason that with a population of 66m, some horrible and awful crimes will be carried out by non nationals in any given year.

The vast majority of the disgusting crimes that have happened in France in the last 10 years or so have largely been committed by the "new French". This case, the beheading a few years ago, the Irish man who was stabbed to death for his views, and all of the terrorism that's killed hundreds of people, have been committed by non natives. You're quickly becoming one of the worst posters on this site for twisting truths, constantly downplaying the results of an ideology that you care so deeply about. People like yourself are far more impassioned about the likes of Kelly, than the absolute filth who commit these acts, and that says so much about you all.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭crusd

All she needed to say was "i reacted to a sad story and once I realised that this poor girls murder was being used to drive an agenda I deleted the tweet. We should all do a bit more to make sure that we are not being led astray by radical agendas which take advantage of sad situations"

How many murders of girls from outside the UK where the murderer was not from an immigrant background do GB news report on?

She didn't know that question was coming, normally prior to an interview it's discussed "what will be discussed". Clearly this was not discussed. That was dropped on her and she didn't know what to say as she wasn't expecting it as it was 5 months ago.

Heard Joe Molloy on the other evening say that OTB never flag questions up front

That could very be true given the that it's a sports type show/piece where the focus is supposed to be on sports/athletes. So again, though if its a sport type why is he asking questions about a minor non-sport related mistake that happened 5 months ago? You may think it's grand and I respect your opinion, but I don't. To me it seems like he wanted "his name in the papers".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

It’s impressive how people keep pretending not to understand that it wasn’t simply a sport show about sport, and only sport.

She was on the programme in her capacity as an ambassador for Spar’s community drive promotion, which they also discussed.

If you think Kellie Harrington should only ever talk about sport then surely anyone would agree, then, that she should not take up community ambassador roles with Spar or other companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

She was not prepared for the question and had not been told that this topic would have been discussed.

I Follow Kellie and didn't even know about it until I saw this break the other night.

In the circumstances she was right to just avoid the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

I was shocked she didn't have a simple two liner like that ready to word off if she ever needed to during an interview. It was fairly naive think it would never come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

https://twitter.com/Storm1Captain/status/1641393275406778370?t=T1_NE7FzkBYboyaQPRnysA&s=19

Hannon is transphobic apparently..Has this character looked at his own twitter profile lately? These people are nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Do you honestly believe if she was a Middle class UCD orts girl background that the broader left would have jumped as hard on her.

We both know her accent and background were blood in the water for these sharks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Do you know? What's your evidence?

She was being hypocritical, she was called out on it, who gives a shyt if she's from Marino or Mars.

'Be like Elsa and let it go!'

Sorry now Kellie like, don't piss down me back and tell me its raining.

She's been in receipt of the €40,000 boxing HP grant, a chunk of taxpayers money, so she can damn well take some responsibility for her actions and stop quoting Disney movies like she's touched or something.

The same €40k grant that posh girl Anneliese Murphy was on when she was still active in HP sailing. So you can leave that nonsense at the door too.

Most of us would f** up if interviewed without media training and courses in diversity and unconscious bias , her handlers obviously have been found lacking

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Is this genuinely the first time she's been asked about that tweet since she posted it?

I know she's been on other things since then. It's surprising, or maybe not, that no other media outlet had the balls to ask her about it until now. Even if they went the "safe" route and informed her and her team they were going to ask it beforehand.

She's a Nurse so defo went to college. <<< wrong

I'd agree with you though people need to take responsibility for their actions, but I don't feel she was given the proper chance. It was just jumped on her.

There isn't a person on here who hasn't done, said or thought something seriously stupid when they were younger. The Problem in today's society is that any oul sh*t stirrer can go back through a persons tweets and dig up some post from 10+ years ago and go Well, what do you have to say about this tweet you posted in 2012 about X.

I know there are people here who feel that those ancient tweets are still relevant today, but to me that whole practice is complete and utter horsesh*t.

Even worse are those that screenshot before a tweet is deleted #keepthatoneforlater

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

She's a Nurse so defo went to college.

I have no idea why this is relevant, but she absolutely, 100%, is not a nurse.

My Apologies, you are correct, She worked at St Vincent's doing non medical stuff

• Advertisement

Is there a guide to the mindless left wing, politically correct, sanitised, NGO friendly opinions you are expected to have when you receive a grant?

Advertisement