Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2023 **No Ticket Sales / Requests ** - It'll be grand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Boygenius exclusive to RHK. No chance of them at EP now that’s been announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Capaldi's success a genuine curio to me. Is it all based on one song?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Agreed re the cost, their equipment transportation alone must be an enormous overhead. Bicep or the Chemicals a cheaper option.

However, they have the spare cash. 70k paying circa €280 on average is €19.6m, add in sponsors, vendors, etc and there’s money about. Huge overheads but the more names the quicker 2024 sells. Anyway I know I’m fighting a losing cause here. 😄

if 20% -25% of EP ticket sales is spent on artists probably looking at €4-5m. The acts announced so far probably eat up 40% to 50% of the Artist budget gone already on 11 acts.

• Advertisement

Big structural risk to the fest so - this ratio isnt sustainable for the level of quality/novelty theyve accrued with that 50% spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

if it's accurate, it could also mean that the mid tier acts earn well less per set than people think.

Only acts on main stage, electric arena, rankins wood and terminus stage seeing serious money. A lot of the smaller areas are small fees and free tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I always consider an act greedy when they play a standalone gig.

3 hours tops of a show and then "get out". Divil a bit of value nor the chance to see something else when they're playing filler. I'll always side with festivals over standalone gigs. Picnic will always rule supreme for this reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

People would be surprised about the amount there just on free tickets or just travel fees.

• Advertisement

Yeah, anything out the main 5 stages/tents is either sponsored stage (sponsors budget covers artists fees) or free tickets & nominal fee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yeah my cousins band headlined the main stage in trailer park multiple times and only got tickets for performing.

Latchikos, yeah? That’s tough alright but I guess the buzz helps and free tickets for 7/8 people not bad.

More significant is the exposure. There are a few acts I’ve seen at Trailer Park and similar stages that I’ve paid to see since. Harvest are now playing big venues around the country including the Olympia in Dublin. That’s unheard of for an Irish tribute band and I think it’s greatly due to several years of big crowds at the Trailer Park leading to increased gig sales and strong word of mouth. Fair play to them, that’s an impressive ascent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yep, The Latchikos! And your right, it's great for exposure. They have a pretty good following now, play plenty of other festivals and sold out Whelan's a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Meryl Streek/Vulpynes/Peer Pleasure in Whelans tonight. PP veering from VU chug to Cramps swing. Very much early days but a couple of songs were decent. They also brought along a group of teenage indie girls that made me feel absolutely ancient and a disgusting perv (guilty of both i guess). Vulpynes did what they do.

Meryl Streek i struggled with as it was simply one man bouncing around on stage ranting into a microphone as his album played through the p.a. At least Sleaford Mods have the decency to bring a laptop out and press play for every song. I would still recommend checking out the album, but live? Hmmm.... In saying that i expect him to appear at a festival or two this summer.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

That’s a pity, I’d heard great things about his live show. Maybe he’s used a band before? Going to see him on Thursday week and it’s only €9 so a bad show is bearable at that cost.

Don’t know PP, hopefully they’re in support. Coincidentally the only time I’ve seen Vulpynes (decent) was supporting Sleaford Mods here.

Thanks for the heads up and keep the reviews coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I see a lot of complaints on the Roskilde thread in Efestivals about the final lineup announcement, although the likes of Blur is playing it, it seems its went the route of Longitude and Forbidden Fruit with pop and rap acts.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Just had a look, some great acts but it’s yet another festival aiming for a younger demographic. That’s fine but a recession hits and you need the older audience with more disposable cash. Why not try to balance it as Primavera and Glasto do?

And btw @Dreamweapon you may yet get your chance to see Killing Joke. Surely touring later in the year, their new single has them sounding like a band half their age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Maybe it was just me but i couldn't reconcile watching a man hopping about with a 'live' experience. No humour/between song chat to balance things out either. Just an angry man. Hopping about. I think Vulpynes are supporting for the whole Irish tour. Their singer joins him on stage for a couple of tunes.

Cool. I have seen them before though, just couldn't believe i might have missed them at EP.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

wow, they still going?

I wonder what date in April might we expect the new announcement, possibly mid week going onto to Easter.

Tumbleweed aye!

Hey @FR_Dublin how is things with you, its about three weeks now since you last posted, do you have any idea at all when the launch will be announced. EP thread is getting tired of me constantly posting and whinging for a line up announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Musicrules

It says they was last active on March 15th. It's probably no surprise that they haven't come back after some of the bitter comments last time. The announcement should be soon though.

Theyre the last large fest in Europe to announce their line up. Theres nothing "bitter" about calling this out.

Yup possibly seventeen to eighteen weeks since last announcement.

They’ve announced 11 acts including the major headline acts. Not sure why people annoyed about a week or two later than normal announcement.

I do appreciate your viewpoint here Fanirish - imo one of sanguine "lets be reasonable here folks" on every thread. I also gather youre closer to the industry than I am. So i don't want you to be discouraged by a contrary if less informed view. Ive been to 11 Picnics so think i've the festival's interests at heart.

Its reasonable to note that two of those announced as headliner have been there before and the third has played Ireland over a dozen times in the last 4 years. On here at least this small but weighty annoucement hasnt converted into months of effusive anticipation. Peeps are looking for the midcard to judge whether to go in many cases.

A cynic might suggest if they had good stuff to announce they would have already. One reason theyre holding out is the announcement is malojin. To leave annoucement late might minimise negative press/online banter/comparisons with other events and potential for peeps to take their cash elsewhere.

• Advertisement

EP by its nature will book headline acts with a history of selling tens of thousands of tickets in Ireland. Not many superstar acts left to reunite.

EP was sold out in December there is no need to announce line up early or in line with others.

Glastonbury only announced it line up a month ago and it’s in June, so EP announcing its mid card in April is not wide off the mark.

you’ll still have months to listen to acts, sell your ticket and plan alternative festivals when they announcement the other 30 or so names in next few weeks

Advertisement