Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hogans heroes

Their throwing it most of the time , but not been blown. Making it 2 hand passes max would stop the running game were now seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

It will be interesting to see what happens with the 3 lads although it looks like its senior first.They could miss the Wexford game then get a few weeks with the 20s. The u20 on paper should hopefully be strong. The couple of injured lads coming back like Bill Hughes and Harry shine will be a help.does anyone know is denis Walsh fit? He was very good last year. The kierans win will also be a boost and they will call on a few front that.

Really looking forward to the limerick match it will be a great test and we'll know exactly where we are. Tactically it will be interesting to see how we set up. We can't leave Nash loose but they've evolved and all their backs seem to be getting up for scoresTipp ran out of gas so it'llbe interesting to see how we match up fitness wise.They have so many stars around the field its hard to know where to start.lynch was excellent at the wknd.Our midfield was good at the weekend so the real test awaits.i presume Fogarty will go on Donahoe and I'm sure village87 was delighted to see him make team of the week

The narrative when kk win is the opposition was terrible. We all know cork were dissapointing but up to this they were the form team.i don't buy that they didn't want to meet limerick. They knew a few weeks ago it was most likely limerick in the final.Alot of supporters before the match expected a cork win.This went on last year aswell. I think most hurling folklore are in agreement kk are the Second best team in the country.we are definitely improving the short game and have come on a lot since the Tipp game. Lyng deserves credit aswell moving padriag to his new role and Lawlor to 6 was a shrewd move. The way we kept the ball away from Ciaran joyce shows that we are learning.We will probably need huw at 3 but it's probably worth continuing this experiment for the league final. He was also excellent at 6 but I'd start Richie Reid instead of Corcoran the next day. That would be a strong half back line with blanchfield.Donnelly and mossy look to be playing with more freedom and confidence.Mossy has really bulked out. We all know what Donnelly is capable of and if he can nail down a position it's a big plus.

We'll obviously be underdogs and limerick are a serious team but this is a great test before the championship. We have blooded a good few players and are building a nice panel.Clifford,dunne and especially drennan have all being good.What a team like Wexford would do for a free taker like drennan. He has being unbelievable and the point against waterford was a stand out in those conditions.The big test awaits and I'm sure the Lads are looking foward to it.

Both teams will obviously go for the final and lyng will know he will need all his big hitters back if we're going to have any chance.Although drennan has being absolutely excellent I'd prefer to see him play the u20 matches. He's probably the best free taker in the country at the moment which is a huge bonus for us.The way he stood up for the penalty after taking a nasty slap,he isnt afraid to take a bit of hardship but one of the best features of his game is hes always looking for someone in the better position. Deegan for the goal,Clifford's point and he made the penalty himself.I'd say Cody regrets not bringing him in after the u20 last year where he was also excellent in all matches and that final against limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭kksaints

I don't see why we'd drop Drennan to the U-20s tbh. He's our best forward atm and even when TJ and Mullen comeback there's sure space for him in our 6 forwards. Now Clifford and Dunne should drop down as TJ and Mullen come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

B Drennan should be let concentrate with the under 20s. I don't think having him on board with the seniors for the League Final will be the difference of winning or losing. But his presence with the under 20s would be immense. D Lyng knows enough about Drennan at this stage and can easily slot him back in for the Galway match on April 30th. The third round of the under 20 would have taken place on the previous Sat 22nd making him eligible for the seniors.

Let the hardened seniors take on Limerick and allow B Drennan develop more with his own age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

I agree that Richie Reid would be a good replacement for Darragh Corcoran. I know Darragh is a good hurler but he looks a bit slow and ungainly at this level, maybe I am being too hard on him, I would like to see lawlor at centre back for the league final. If Tommy goes well again at full back he might be a serious contender there for the championship, and lawlor is a serious option for centre back. A half back line of Reid, lawlor and blanchfield would be very strong and a great platform for us going in to the championship. On the u20s I hope lyng let's the three boys back to it, we know billy drennan will be playing senior in the championship but we could do without him for the league final if the other lads carrying niggles are all fit to go. Now isn't that a nice option to have, we have good forwards fighting for places 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I think Tipp are playing Munster football championship on the Sunday in Thurles so if it is to be in Thurles Saturday might be the only slot for it. Also with the football championship starting that weekend, the GAA may not want to have the hurling clash with the football games on TV on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭KK36

They could play the football in Clonmel or Poulacapple for what will be at it.

Kilkenny Under 20s play Wexford, in Wexford, on Saturday 8th. Hope we're not expected to then drive to Thurles later that evening for the League Final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

They've set it for Cork at 2pm Easter Sunday.

Disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

If it is consolation lads, I am originally from The South Westerly Parish in Limerick and even we prefer to travel to Thurles rather than Cork. Truly this displays a total disregard for both sets of followers. I cannot see how the county boards agreed to this. Even a Toss for Home Away would have been far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Tank

What a f king joke of a venue selection and time

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Munster venue and probably a Munster ref. Or worst still that bolix from Galway, Gordon.this ref. Let’s the opposing team go to ground remove their helmets and stop the game when KK are gaining ground ,Waterford did this the. Last day and Limerick are fond of doing this as well.

Larry Mccarthy probably got the go ahead for cork. A great surface now and all that but thurles would of probably suited both teams and supporters . I wouldn't expect a big crowd from kk.

Eoin Downey is listed tomorrow night for the u20 despite playing senior Sunday so the 7 day rule mustn't come into play till the championship. I don't know what the difference is with league and championship.

Our match with Wexford is the day before so that obviously rules out our lads and our match against dublin is before the seniors match against Westmeath.

I think Grats hit the nail on the head a few days ago. I think alot of us agree they should be with the u20s first. They will have 10 years to play senior. This is the first time in a long time we look to have a very good u20 team and as village87 said it does make a bit of a mockery out of the competition if they dont play. Last year's team slipped in under the radar. The news is tj and most of the big hitters will be back and there's no debate tj will be on the frees In the summer. Billy is a lovely striker and all the u20s have done well.Sunday week is a huge step up and we'll want as many as our experienced lads as we can.

Football match on in Thurles on Sunday. Our Under 20s in Wexford on Saturday. Pity it couldn't be Thurles for the League Final. I wonder if they considered switching the under 20 to Sunday.

I see Downey to play with Cork under 20s tomorrow. League and Championship separate competitions in that case, so the seven day rule doesn't apply. That means our under 20s could line out against Wexford on Easter Saturday and line out with the seniors on Easter Sunday! And line out the following Saturday against Galway at under 20. Anyway, I think they should be allowed concentrate on under 20. As you said in your post, our big guns should be back to challenge Limerick.

Post edited by Grats on

By the way, if Larry McCarthy did get the match to Cork, at least he can now boast about doing something during his reign!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Not sure what match people were watching if they thought Walsh went well at full back. Power was first to every ball and won some handy frees. He had Walsh in all sorts of trouble.

It’d be worth leaving Walsh there for the Limerick game. Lawlors height is not needed at centre back so there’s no justification to move him from full back without a viable alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

I`d like to see Tommy Walsh tried in the half back line. He was a centre back for his club as a kid and I suspect he ended up in the full line because he was drafted in there on the 2014 minor team as a sixteen year old. I would never have considered it a natural place for him to be. Lawlor is the best full back in the business. When you have that I don`t see the point in moving him somewhere else.

• Advertisement

Everyone looks at a game differently I suppose but I thought Tommy done well enough at full back. Yea power got 2 points but a few of them frees werent tommys fault. Power was eventually replaced.He plays with tullaron at 3 and has done well on Colin fennelly a few times. The ultimate test is coming for all these lads but I would definitely leave him at 3 on Gillane and see how he goes. Tommy was very good for us last year.

I thought Lawlor was excellent and gave a few smart balls to the attackers.hes a good presence and lehane was anonymous.Lads can say there was too much made of our half back line in last years final but the proof is in the pudding we got absolutely cleaned and conceded 1-13 from play. Deegan will probably never play in the half back line again. the management have looked at this as an area that needs work. It's definitely worth trying Tommy at 3 and Lawlor at 6 for the league anyway and see how it goes. Limerick are the bench mark so we will know exactly where we stand. I think its a great match to get before the championship.Blanchfield was good the other day and should nail down one spot on the wing. I'm not convinced with Corcoran yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hogans heroes

Agree, I would leave things as they are for the final, but also not convinced on Corcoran and would go with richie reid.would leave drenann on the frees , how could you not aftter the exhibition he gave last sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I would leave him on then as well. I figure if he has an off day, or the occasion gets to him (not likely), tj will very easily step up and take over. But if tj starts on them and is having a bad day, putting in drennan puts him under huge pressure to fill shoes he's not necessarily ready to fill, and puts pressure on tj longer term as well.

Anyway it's not that big of a deal to me, I'm much more interested in what happens in the backs. Would love to see Lawler move out to center long term if we could afford it, his distribution is a big improvement.

As was pointed out previously, our Under 20s play Wexford the day before the League Final. I think B Drennan, T Clifford and G Dunne should line out with the Under 20s. There are enough more physically mature players on our senior panel to line out against Limerick. Let's see what the likes of N Brennan, T Phelan, R Corcoran etc are capable of. A smart game plan is as crucial as who lines out.

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jonniegoogle

What do you do if you meet Limerick in a semi later in the year...are you still looking for physically mature lads or your best 15? Or start them now to see if they're up to it?? They might surprise you!

Let me clarify. I would prefer to let the Under 20s turn out in their Championship. It's not a case of protecting them. Why not establish what the other, older, panel members are capable of in the meantime.

I'd be very optimistic for many of under 20 players in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I think the U20s will have to do without Drennan for that one game. He's earned the right to play in a league final and simply put we don't have the forwards at the minute to line up without him.

Limerick are deserving favs but it's still a final and you put out your best available 15.

It's only a round robin U20 game as well. Even if they lose all 3 games they're still in the Leinster quarter final against one of the Tier 2 teams. Let some of the other U20s have a go and bring Drennan back in when there's no clash with the seniors and/or an U20 game has consequences.

Actually the more I think about the more crazy it is not to play him in the league final.

Also, massively against taking Lawlor out of full back with our current alternatives at 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Ha! I'd prefer Thurles on the Sunday, definitely not on Saturday evening, after traveling to Wexford. I'll be in Cork, although it's always a nightmare to get out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

What if somebody uses a stickpass after the second hand pass. Limerick use the said stick pass quite a bit.

Advertisement