Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,267 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I've been following Frank Greaney (Newstalk court correspondent) on Twitter and it is like a sketch from Fr. Ted - you couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Yesterday the Judge dealing with him, ended up with his head in his hands and told him "What am I going to do with you?".

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

It makes a fair mockery of the courts and the judicial system.

The lunatic should be locked up until he learns to have manners. Otherwise every defendant that’s in court should do the same thing and get their cases postponed and adjourned and whatever else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@DBK1 while I agree with you that this whole Enoch & Burke family in general should just be told have respect and feck off. They are only doing what many many others are up to in court. Friend was on jury duty recently and was tells us the goings on. It was like a bad Benny Hill sketch, plus all on free legal aid.

Maybe so, it just goes to show that some people have no shame and also that our legal system is far too lenient.

The sad part about Enoch is there probably was a legitimate discussion worth having but he completely f**ked that up through pig headedness and stupidity, which seems very ironic considering how intelligent that family all are.

• Advertisement

We're having a new arrival in June and went into the hospital for a scan yesterday. It was fair maddening to see the anti abortion bible thumpers on their knees across the road from the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Who are these people? People missed their flights from Dublin Airport last weekend due to protesters. Port tunnel closed a few times due to the east wall protesters, they mustn't have jobs that they have time to be at that craic

Couldn't stop, busy junction, mostly older people praying on their knees with banners.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Imagine if Enoch and the other jennets on their knees outside a hospital put their energy into doing something to help the homeless, or volunteered with the Samaritans, or picked up litter in a playground, or visited the sick and had a chat, etc.

There's a dozen other things they could do that would be of real and immediate benefit. Instead they use their privilege to engage in academic arguments with the State.

Apart from being self-appointed "concerned citizens", where is their skin-in-the-game? What have they got to lose in this ongoing media circus?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

All he had to was carry on in his job. Refer to the student with the pronoun that’s endorsed by all but the most recent dictionary and if the school sought to reprimand him he then had a platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

He wasn't even going to be teaching that child, which makes it all the more weirder

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

It is also sad that there won’t ever be a discussion about what Enoch felt so strongly about . There is no opportunity to discuss any view that doesn’t fit in with what has become a new form of orthodoxy.

There was a time when women working, voting, playing sport or even visiting a pub didn’t fit in with the orthodoxy.

Likewise for being gay, lesbian etc.

There’s no-one’s life any worse off but well over 50% of the population are better off now that these things do fit in with the current form of orthodoxy.

Times change, you either stay in the past or move on with them. I don’t even understand all of this non-binary and gender neutral stuff, maybe that’s more of a reflection on me than anything else, but if it’s what someone else wants for their life it won’t affect mine so the way I’d see it is let them at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Similar for the anti abortionists that herd quitter mentioned so, if they didn't directly affect him, they should be left at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

You’re probably comparing two completely opposite scenarios. The anti abortionists protesting outside the hospital are harassing or confronting other people to try prevent them from considering an abortion. The person that wants to be gender neutral or whatever is making that decision for themselves and not trying to persuade anyone else to do it.

A more accurate comparison would be if there were groups of people trying to convince or harass everyone else into becoming gender neutral then no, like the anti abortionist protesters at the hospitals, that shouldn’t be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Maybe so, but if the bible bashers were protesting from a distance its similar. There does be bashers off the gender and gay people too in rallys and such that tend to harass their point across.

It's a funny world, but they won't annoy me personally, I'm a male and straight, and happy with the simple life.

But how far back do you want to go ?

I don’t recall a time when women couldn’t work , play sports or drink in pubs and I’m heading for sixty !

No one is denying anybody from being whatever it is they want to be but Burke should be afforded the same latitude . If he doesn’t want to refer to someone as “ they “ why should he be required to do so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭148multi

Not as simple as that, he made a speech at mass where past and present teachers were along with students, all the students walked out and refused to go back in.

The bishop had to eventually stop him, he is just trying to stir trouble and get media attention.

It might be a good idea to stop reporting this bs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

It was in my mothers lifetime that a woman had to leave her civil service job after getting married. She wouldn’t have been served in a pub without a male accompanying her.

He wasn’t required to call anyone anything. It was a request, not a demand. Big difference.

• Advertisement

Your post proves exactly the point I was making so thank you.

You’re 100% right, people near 60 won’t remember a time when women weren’t allowed to do all those things. The same as todays teenagers and younger won’t remember a time when it was frowned upon and even illegal to be gay or lesbian. And possibly the babies being born today won’t remember a time when people were ridiculed and abused by teachers for being gender neutral. As I said in the post you replied to, times change and it’s up to people to change with them.

Burke has exactly the same latitude as everyone has and no-one was asking him to be anything he didn’t want to be

He was simply asked to have manners and courtesy by addressing a child in a certain way that they asked to be addressed. It was not going to affect his life in any way to do that and it’s a sad state of affairs when any teacher can’t to that. To be honest he’s more to be pitied than laughed at and I genuinely wouldn’t wish his mindset or attitude on anyone in this world as it must be a miserable life he leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I do find these comments amusing.

I'd bet you would be rather quick to show support for the French farmers causing absolute carnage with their protests, but when the protests are in Ireland the usual remarks are "rent a mob", "have they no jobs" etc.

Back to Eunoch, the media are a huge issue in this case.

If Eunoch got no media coverage he would have given up months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I was visiting the grandparents at the weekend and my aunt was there. Her daughter is starting school next September and she (aunt) was fairly distraught at the whole trans/they/them thing and whats being planned on pushed in the schools while her daughter will be there. She was saying how kids cant be kids anymore and shes worried shell be reprimanded herself if she speaks up about what is being pushed on her daughter in the coming years. Shes by no means a religous woman whatsoever but reckons we were better off being harmless and having the catholic church brainwash us in the past than have the idea of voluntary castration being discussed in schools during a childs formative years. Burke was right to stand up for his beliefs, those who sacrifice there freedom for security deserve neither. To finish an old fella in work summed it up perfectly recently how come theres not one person he can think of in his locality on the the they/them wavelength compared to todays younger generation? Simple enough the idea was never in there heads ever. By the way hes not some backwards narrowminded fella who left home either the man has travelled the world over, spent time in indigenous cultures etc, probably one of the most liberal people i know and yet he can see its madness whats being pushed on kids these days.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

There was 230k pps numbers issued to non Irish last year. There literally isn't a house to rent in the country, a third of all hotel rooms gone for refugees. Creche n kids school here stopped taking names. local doctor only want phone consultation with them n if needing to go to a+e you might as well bring a tent with ya!

If Ireland ain't full now , I guess it'll never be full!

Maybe if the media didn’t roll out an LGBTQ plus on every second ad and chat show that might help too.

Again I ask how far back do you want to go ?

I read posts on boards etc ridiculing the negative influence of the church. I would be of the opinion that the vast majority of Irish people , given current demographics , couldn’t have been influenced by the church one way or the other .

Is it just trendy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

I would consider myself fairly liberal. However don’t agree with all this . Ther is a group of kids in a school near here who define themselves as cats. They dress up with make up to make a cat face and a tie on tail. Did u ever hear such ducking nonsense.

allot of it is just looking for attention. I don’t agree with how Burke went about it but fed up of everything being pushed down people’s throats and if you don’t agree with the crowd your the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Will it get to the point where you can’t teach/explain to a toddler what sex it is? We are all to become “Theys”?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

For those who are saying let everyone be how they feel, fair enough. But it’s being highlighted non stop, pushed on people really. Every day there’s articles about it with no substance to the article only the fact someone has come out/gone trans etc.

if they want equality then they should get on with their lives without the need for their beliefs to be highlighted constantly. If people want to find them they will, especially with the way algorithms work now.

it is way too early to be talking about this to kids in primary school too. It’s just confusing them, and it’s sad really. I worry for my kids over the next few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭148multi

Well it's hard to get my head around they/them, but it's also hard to compare with other generations.

I seen children beating black and blue because they were left handed. I'd hazard a guess that most with anything along the lines of trans or lbg in their heads ended up in the UK,San Francisco or maybe the bottom of the local river.

Seen a young local lady who tried suicide a few times, everyone said she was bats#@t crazy.

She came out, got a partner, now married, she's a very normal person now.

Post edited by 148multi on

Advertisement