Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick calf suggestions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

When you get the calf onto grass, watch out for bloat, the stomach villi will have been shortened by the antibiotics. If it does get bloat, ask the Vet who attends the factory to get a flask of cud juices, to be given when drugs for bloat have been completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

We always run young stock on our highest herbal content leys. Got the idea from a pal with a SAC Turlough where he found such stock put on it between April and October had alot less issues with scour, worms etc. compared to ones run on standard PRG monocultures

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

You could try a square of chocolate, heat it and stick it to the top of the calfs mouth.

I'm told lack of a suck can be down to a vitamin B deficiency

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

As luck would have it I've got in a calf and it won't suck the bottle nor drink from a bucket.

I get the impression is off a suckler and something has went wrong with her. The calf is in good shape - no sign of illness nor emptiness.

However it has no suck at all. I've seen it trying to suck the other calves. It works be around the 6 week old mark.

Is this lad too old to try and bring around to the bucket/teat? He's doing an awful lot of roaring and between the rising and the not drinking is getting on my nerves. I think it might be a recent split from the mother.

If I could somehow get him pacified it would go a long way. Plenty of crunch and clean straw in with them.

Tried most of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Had a calf 4 days old that I couldn't get to suck a feeder. My wife ( her job was working with babies ) , put a little milk in the calfs mouth , her finger into the calfs mouth, imitating a teat and worked her finger back and forth on the calfs tongue stimulating a suck . He took off sucking immediately. Might work for you if its not too stressful on the calf to catch him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Joining the club too.

29 hour old calf currently.

Won't suck, so stomach tubed 2 sessions of 2.5 litres out of cow, and gave vitamin b injection.

Cows elder a bit close to the ground this year, and calf is a bit on the tall side.

Bending down head and sucking reflex don't seem to be too high on the calfs agenda.

First time in a long time I've had that hassle

. Joys of it 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Tried that too. I'm waiting on some cows to calf and get going and if e's still about I'll move him in there and he might steal enough to keep him going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

If you have the cow restrained in a calving gate or something, you could try knocking the calf to the ground under her. You might be able to get him going on the tit lying down with his head slightly raised. If he got going at all, he'd be away.....

Might try the knocking down alright 👍🏽👍🏽

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

Have a calf just calved and he is massive. Already bigger than my other lalla that won’t suck.

Cow is fairly low slung from an udder POV with a massive bag and teats so close to the ground. I had to improvise just there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

Was he long born at that stage? They normally try to spring up at the first taste of milk when you try them lying down like that. Grand quiet cow by the looks of it!

3 hours or so. He was able to stand but wasn’t able to get him sucking standing die to the physics. Hoping he figures it out.

She is grand quiet girl alright. Small shake of nuts and you can do what you want .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

He's like myself, likes to sit down when drinking. 😎

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Fair play on that working for you , I did try it, but wasn't a success, will try it again tomorrow. Have mine sucking a bottle that I've strigged from the cow, other wise it spends its time sucking her neck. Right few of us lads getting a hard time with calves this week so. Keep her lit 893.

Oh and whats the update on the calf you were bagging and syringing?

Still syringing twice a day. 2L a time.

He ate a fist of crunch Monday. And a fist Tuesday. And nothing since. A fist hardly sickened him?

He is still dead and lifeless. No reall bit of a buck from him. But looks ok to look at in his head. Alert enough. But he should be running over to me when I go in and pucking me knowing he is getting milk.

His puss is still a bit colder than I would like. He has no temperature.

Alive but not thriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A good kick in the hole....joking. Do you have a calf coat to put on him. You're doing your best for him would be nice for him to cop on at this stage

No don’t have a jacket but he is under a lamp in a constrained area kinda 6 foot by 8ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Merging from "Calf Won't Suck" thread

I had a calf born Tuesday evening. Was up straight away trying to suck but went to every bloody part of cow sucking except the tit. Approx. 3 hours later I put cow in calving gate and tried to put him sucking to no avail. I squirted milk into her mouth and put tit in her mouth but she refused to suck it so eventually milk cow and fed with bottle. She sucked bottle perfectly so assumed she would manage herself after that.

But now 2 days later she still hasn't sucked and since that 1st time with the bottle she won't suck that either so tubing her since.

I've got a few injections from the vet but not making any difference to the sucking.

She's in good enough form and fairly strong considering.

I've tried the usual chocolate and honey on the nipple of the bottle each time before tubing but she just licks it off and won't suck.

UPDATE 

I brought calf to the vet yesterday. Vet said she had slight navel infection and slightly high temp. Advice was to stop stomach tubing her milk and jus give electrolytes with tube. Tubing milk into a calf after a few days not good for them apparently.

Anyway milked cow last night b4 bed and managed to get her to suck about 250ml from bottle and tubed 2lts electrolytes.

This morning milked cow again and she sucked 500ml from the bottle very slowly with honey on nipple and my fingers.

After that she went over to cow in calving gate and started rooting around her neck again so i said I'd give it another go. Put honey on cows tit and after a big battle with calf trying to suck top of elder she finally latched on and sucked perfectly even started pucking.

No when sue slips off the tit it's a battle to get her back on but I'm delighted with that progress this morning.

I separated them now for a while and will go again after few hours.

So all in all Tuesday to Saturday before she sucked cow.

I thought she'd never suck so for the rest of ye stay at it n hopefully they come good but I know it's tough going and really tests your patience.

• Advertisement

Good progression this morning for you so 👍🏽.

Yeah was surprised tbh as was even very slow to suck bottle this morning but once got going on cows tits the sucking action really took off thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Any one ever have a calf with mucous in the lungs about a week old? Has been treated by the vet but said it may take time to clear. Did they recover fully?

Would've had for few days as a newborn, it should be grand, just make sure it picks up no pneumonia still lungs are clear.

He has improved a little bit, more alert, looks for the milk now when you are there.

Still no “buck” in him and his nose is still cold. A different vet examined him again Tuesday and has no further suggestions on treatments.

Fully weaned from cow and on 3-4 litres a day over two feeds via a syringe. When on the 3 litres he seems to be eating a fist of crunch finally which should be a game changer if I can build it up slowly. Plan to try get him saleable in two months time. Hopefully weaned from milk and eating 0.5-1kg of meal a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭148multi

There's a vet in cavan the does a technique to get a calf to suck,apparently resets the neurotransmitters.

Geard McGovern I believe.

Trying to transition on to CMR and he is suffering a nasty bloat. I had being doing a gentle tranfer 3/4 milk and 1/4 cmr bit he started bloating immediately.

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Get whole milk from a local dairy farmer. What cmr are you using. Try Shine cmr if you can't get whole milk or a cmr with at least 35% skim.

I had been using whole milk from local dairy dairy. But it’s another pain in the arse getting that every second day, portioning it out and putting it into fridge.

It’s prime elite 25 I bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It looks like prime elite is a whey based cmr and it sounds like it's not agreeing with him. Could you get some Shine once a day from someone to try it.

Advertisement