Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

Oh FFS, they can implement tax increases fast enough when needed.

I know that their Payroll systems are a joke but this is ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭bren2001

Would you prefer them to delay the tax increases and get a bigger than required tax bill one month?

What mental gymnastics did you perform to get to there.

I mean that's an impressive committment to being contrary

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭DEW138

Just from payroll point of view, it would be better tax wise to get arrears paid after NY. As budget 2023 increased 20% threshold if you falling into that tax bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

The arrears earned in 2022 will be taxed based on the rate for 2022, even if received in 2023. Any change in allowances from the Budget will only apply to the portion earned in 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

LA (DCC) still hasn’t initiated the back dated pay for current staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭nhg

Income Tax is on a receipt basis, irrelevant of when it is earned.

Income received in 2022 taxed in 2022, income received in 2023 taxed in 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭DEW138

When an employee receives arrears of salary for the previous years, which was not taxed earlier on the due basis, then the salary received is taxed on a receipt basis. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

Thank you both for clarifying, I didn’t realise that was the case, that’s good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

LA staff in Dublin received all arrears in todays pay run.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭exitstageleft

Well, with annualised inflation at 8.5% this month, I think we can safely say that those who predicted price increases were just a flash in the pan and would drop just as quick have been proven wrong.

With that in mind, how do people feel now about the CS 6.5% pay increase over two years?

Given inflation averaged 7.8% for last year, that it was already 5% by the end of 2021, and had reached 9% at the start of this one, it certainly starts looking like the pay deal still results in a serious real-value cut to wages.

I'd say negotiations this year will be fraught again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, and at the time I argued that the 6.5% wasn't great, while also being somewhat sympathetic towards the Govt.

PSSA deal, unwinding previous pay cuts

2018 +1% Jan and +1% Oct

2019 Sep +1.75%

2020 Oct +2%

Building Momentum, 2021 to end 2022, max of 3% over two years

2021 Oct = +1%

2022 Feb possible +1%, depending on local issues, Oct +1% general increase

Extension to Building Momentum

2022 Feb +3% backdated to Feb 2022

2023 Mar = 2%

I will check the inflation data now.

Consumer Price Index

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cpi/consumerpriceindexfebruary2023/

Dec 2011 = 100

2020 Jan = 102.9

2021 Jan = 102.8

This just shows how little inflation there was during 2011 to 2020.

CPI average during each year:

2020 = 103.0

2021 = 105.4

2022 = 113.6

The pickup in inflation started in the second half of 2021.

2023 Feb = 118.1

Let us take the period from the start of 2020 to now.

2020 Jan CPI = 102.9

2023 Feb CPI = 118.1

Inflation is 14.8% cumulative

The pay rises over that period are PSSA 2% + BM 2% or 3% + BM ext 3%, so a max of 8% in total (ignoring compounding)

8% pay rise versus nearly 15% inflation, that is a serious decline in real wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,680 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'm still happy with the deal.

It would have been a shittier winter stood on pickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Augme

It was always an awful deal and the idea that inflation just drops as quickly as it rises is never the case. The big difference with the new deal will be it isn't just a pay issue, its a whole new deal involving terms and conditions ans potential productivity issues. The last deal one can argue that getting more money while not having to do any additional work is never a bad thing, it will be interesting to see if a DPER try and attach more productivity measures to a similar 6%is pay raise.

But yes, it's a massive lose in terms of real wages. But for some reason Irish Civil Servants lap that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

vocal minority time again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭dubrov

The Income tax take boomed in 2022 was 15% ahead of 2021 which I assume reflects general salary increases in Ireland.

The government were also talking about a budget giveaway.

In reality, the tax take was growing with inflation while their costs weren't.

It's almost as if the unions didn't understand inflation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'm still waiting on my back pay from last Feb to mid summer. Nsso can't get the pay of those who moved departments calculated in what is now 6 months. No end date in sight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

With that in mind, how do people feel now about the CS 6.5% pay increase over two years?

Exactly the same as I did at the time!

Scrap the cap!

As I said to our useless Forsa rep at the crappy Zoom meeting excuse for a branch AGM, this deal leaves us poorer. The deal before this left us poorer. The deal before that... when exactly are they going to stop trying to sell us deals which leave us poorer? He had no answer. Civil service is soon going to stop being a viable career

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

If you have a problem with your forsa rep being useless, put yourself forward at the next AGM to replace them. You'd be surprised how many people want FORSA to be all things to all men & women, but never volunteer themselves.

I was co-opted to being a Branch Sec, against my wishes.

Been there, done that, got shafted. Although the person who shafted me and their allies on the branch cttee are all retired now so it might be time for a renewed pointless assault 😉

BTW the rep I was speaking of is a Forsa official, not a member of branch cttee, and branches have no say as to what official is assigned to them. Between the PSEU and Forsa most of them have been career alcoholics. Nice "work" if you can get it I suppose.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

My partner is in the same position. Moved departments back in October and no sign of the backdated money being paid. Contacted the NSSO last week and got a generic response saying that the timeframe to pay it has been extended beyond quarter one 2023.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

There has been a huge exodus from payroll since last summer. In my town I know 7 people who've moved into my department alone. That's a huge loss of knowledge for a department where mobility had been at a standstill during COVID. No excuse though for it being so open ended. I've raised it with the WRC to see if it contravenes the payment of wages act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭salonfire

It's so bad, yet you have no problem seeing your wife try and join the civil service. Still better than available elsewhere?

Ooh I have a stalker 🙄

There's a difference between a job and a career. Also seems you have a very 1950s view of how a marriage works

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I assume you received the email yesterday. No accountability or no indication of when it would be sorted, almost made it sound like the fault lay with you for having the audacity to get promoted/transfer.

Advertisement