Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kerry Babies Case

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭chooseusername

That’s a question only those involved in the murder of Baby John can answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Most definitely would beat the tooth fairy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

It has been reported by a number of reputable sources that this couples arrest was triggered because their living biological child's DNA identified one or both of them as the parents. So we do know the mothers age with a certain degree of certainty. She was a teenager, most likely an older teenager when her partner is now in his 60s

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

And that was exactly what was resiled from in 1966!

Oh, I did! I took the rest of the day off work and went straight home and told my mother! Who (as I knew she would be) was my rock. They did try to contact me several times after that, but my mother ran them.

My daughter is now almost the same age as I was then, it's hard to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

However, in this investigation any family with that kind of history or behaviour would have been quickly identified in the community and checked.

I think you’re being incredibly charitable in asserting that anyone neglected to mention a local, pregnant teenager to Gardaí during a huge investigation into a murdered baby.

@Neyite post isn’t at all far fetched; it’s pretty much on the nose, for any community, be they urban or rural. The point being that people knew what went on, but they chose to ignore it and turn a blind eye, and they stayed quiet about it because nobody wanted to bring any trouble on themselves. It wasn’t that anyone neglected to mention it, they purposely said nothing.

What Neyite’s referring to wasn’t just common knowledge, it was common practice. It’s why even today there are locals who don’t want to cooperate with any investigation, because they don’t want to be reminded that they knew everything, and did nothing, and they don’t want people knowing that they did nothing in spite of knowing exactly what happened and what was going on.

It still happens to this day that people know things and they don’t say anything. It’s not even that young girls and women conceal their pregnancy, if they’re even aware of it themselves in the first place, it’s that some girls and women will panic and do something they would normally consider unconscionable, like giving birth and then trying to get rid of the evidence -

https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/mother-jailed-for-three-months-over-manslaughter-of-baby-left-in-bin-1330126.html

There’s two explanations as to why the medical professional in the Caredoc facility didn’t realise the patient had just given birth - they’re either incredibly incompetent or, they knew, but didn’t want to know.

Nonsense. I've no idea what that link proves. She was referred straight to hospital by caredoc where it was immediately identified she'd given birth. No big cover up. GPs don't tend to perform internal examinations on women presenting with constipation or urine retention.

My family have lived in caherciveen for generations. There was no big cover up involving multiple local representatives. It was the talk of the town at the time and continued to be discussed over the years. Like I said, there were many rumours. The GP at the time was extremely competent and professional. I believe he was the only GP in the country to have delivered over 1000 with no recorded deaths of mothers or infants. He wasn't the type to act immorally.

The most likely explanation is a well concealed teenage pregnancy and birth that was only discovered by someone other than the mother on day 3 who became very angry and unleashed it out on the baby. The attack on the infant was brutal.

The most simple explanation is most often the correct one.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Agreed. The possibility of a long term cover up surviving until now is almost non existent if any few locals knew.

The possibility of the pregnancy and birth taking place elsewhere must be considered as a very real possibility, thus no local knowledge.

The most simple explanation is most often the correct one.

Sounds more like the explanation you come up with yourself, is the correct one. Doesn’t take genius levels of intellect to understand that much.

The point was that the Caredoc was oblivious to the fact that only minutes earlier, the patient had given birth! That they were referred to UHW for an examination is nothing to do with failing to notice that the patient had just given birth!

I don’t care that your family have lived in Cahirciveen for generations, neither your family nor Cahirciveen itself are unique in any respect. What was unique about this case specifically is that the evidence was discovered purely by chance. Similarly in the case in Dalkey, the body of a baby was discovered purely by chance -

The body of the newborn girl who police believe was the woman's first baby, was discovered in a laneway in Dun Laoghaire, just over a mile from her home.

Two 11-year-old boys collecting seaweed on the beach were looking for a plastic bag. Seeing one on the ground, they opened it to find the baby's body, wrapped in newspapers and soaked in blood.

People didn’t believe her at the time -

Some elderly neighbours living on the quiet estate said they were aware of the woman's story.

"She used to tell schoolfriends about it when she was a girl but no one hardly believed her," said one woman. "Something should have been done about this years ago."

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2005/jun/30/ireland

It’s true what you say that some people at least, or some parents, will confide in their children in their later years, deathbed confessions are a thing, but what happens more often is people would rather abhorrent incidents from their past would remain buried and there be no evidence found that would indicate they knew more than they let on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The couple who were arrested are confirmed as the parents of the baby.

• Advertisement

I think jumping to the conclusion of a massive cover up involving local gardai, the parish priest and local GP is a bit bonkers when there are far simpler, plausible explanations. It is a discussion group though so I guess it should all be entertained.

It has now been confirmed that both those arrested are the biological parents of the baby. Who murdered him will only be determined if one or both of them decide to cooperate.

I feel it's likely there were rumblings in the family for their living child to volunteer DNA. It's a very close familial match and was basically like striking gold for the cold case team.

As an aside, you can't tell a woman has given birth just by looking at her. You would need to examine her intimately. Not something gps do routinely. Makes perfect sense that girl was referred further

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

You're right dreadful things were covered up years ago and the blind eye was given to what was happening. I completely agree.

Where the Kerry Babies case is different though is that it was a very public story that was never forgotten and another woman and family were accused in the wrong. It was revisited by the media time and time again. In the 90's Ireland began to change its views towards single mothers. This mother could have came forward at any time over the last 39 years - I dont believe she murdered her baby but she could reveal the story - she is more than likely a victim in this story too. Its possible the person(s) who murdered baby John are now dead or very elderly. Any threats that were made towards her at the time of the birth would have diminished over the years. If her family were involved chances are relationships became strained over the years with the trauma of this event.

The mother of baby John it seems was or is prepared to stay silent for the rest of her life. Over the last 39 years she or he should have done the right thing and come forward - this may have allowed Joanne Hayes to have lead a better life than she has done. Shame on them for not coming forward - every year of silence has made this case worse for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The police are a step closer. I wonder if the parents will provide any information.

I think jumping to the conclusion of a massive cover up involving local gardai, the parish priest and local GP is a bit bonkers when there are far simpler, plausible explanations. It is a discussion group though so I guess it should all be entertained. 

Using your ‘simplest explanation is the correct one’ theory, there’s a simple explanation too as to why you imagine something which was common practice at the time is a bonkers theory that couldn’t possibly apply to idyllic wee Cahirciveen where the villagers are as innocent as they are thick as two planks, apparently. That just about describes every town, village and city in Ireland, anywhere really, where people would rather believe it just didn’t happen.

I don’t think that discovering the identity of the baby’s biological parents will inevitably lead to discovering who murdered the baby either. It didn’t in the Dalkey case where the child who is now an adult gave evidence that her mother took the baby, and the baby was later found dead -

https://m.sundayworld.com/crime/irish-crime/garda-issue-new-appeal-for-information-about-baby-murdered-in-the-dalkey-house-of-horrors-case/39628026.html

It’s incredibly easy from an outside perspective to say anyone ‘could have done the right thing’, and completely ignore any potential consequences for them of doing the right thing, and why they felt they couldn’t, or shouldn’t, and likely never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

I know there is a very sad story for the parents of Baby John - I do have compassion for them and understand they may have been under pressure to stay quiet. The passing of time though would have changed that - they should have came forward.

Im shocked by the lack of compassion shown in this thread for Joanne Hayes and what she has suffered. I know the gardai are to blame for this but so are babys Johns parents because they could have stopped the trauma Joanne went through publicly. I cant see how people can think its ok that they didnt come forward and Joanne just took one for the team!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

You would have to assume not if they're following legal advice

Probably no proof of anything criminal without an admission

Presumably they were following legal advice in providing the DNA samples ?

Or why would they do it at all I don't know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Does anyone know why its called the kerry babies case instead of the kerry baby case?

It was only one baby right?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭sugarman20

They are counting Joanne Hayes's baby too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Unless they had an active part in or actual knowledge of the violence that was done to the child the it is likely that the statute of limitations will have run out. Their other children must now be looking at their parents in a different light. It might be possible to be overwhelmed by an older adult if that was the reason why they did not stop it or come forward at or around the time. Thereafter it is less understandable. This is not an incident of theft or some other crime which might be covered up. They must have had some reasonable suspicion that the baby was theirs and to fail to do any thing about it for 40 years speaks poorly of their moral character. How they can even have proceeded to have further children without the overwhelming reminder of their first child.

• Advertisement

Is that DNA confirmation a garda leak ?

Report says the solicitor confirmed parentage but is not saying it publicly

The passage of time won’t have changed anything really. Consider that only a couple of months ago Government announced that people who were given up for adoption would now be able to much easier trace their birth mothers, and the furore there was about that, primarily because it violated the ‘promise’ that was made to these women at the time that their pregnancy and subsequent consent to have their children adopted, would be kept private -

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/women-who-gave-up-their-children-for-adoption-should-not-be-made-to-suffer-twice-1.3945606

I don’t think it’s fair to assume anyone thinks how Joanne Hayes was treated was ok or acceptable or that anyone else who didn’t come forward is responsible for how she was treated. They’re two completely separate circumstances. Joanne Hayes was vilified because even though she couldn’t be held criminally liable for murder, people were pretty much non-plussed about what happened to her given what she had done, which became public knowledge.

You really can’t imagine why anyone who knew who was responsible for murdering a baby wouldn’t come forward when they saw how Joanne Hayes was publicly vilified? Put yourself in that scenario and ask yourself would you come forward, knowing that every inch of your life would be picked apart and twisted in order to satisfy a baying mob mentality seeking “justice”. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I think it’s not unreasonable to assume people value their privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

The parents should be charged with withholding evidence in a murder investigation if they don't talk.

This is their chance to set the record straight and bring closure to the whole episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

To be fair we know nothing at this stage. The parents would have had a duty of care and at this point that's what the Gardai will be expecting them to explain.

Either they handed over the baby to someone else in the belief that the baby would be ok, or they committed the crime themselves.

If it's the former, then they'll need to explain that to the gardai.

If the DNA results have confirmed the parents of Baby John, will that fecking Garda Gerry O'Carroll finally concede that Joanne was not his mother, and apologise?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

One of the purposes of their arrest was probably for obtaining DNA samples. Once arrested they would have been obliged to provide DNA samples.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If he is going to make a statement, I'd rather he told us how a number of people from a family admitted a murder they weren't involved in with matching details (which were known to be false).

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

Media reports said they volunteered them

Didn't think they had to

• Registered Users Posts: 86,735 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Both parents still together and stayed silent all this time, despicable behaviour imho and I presume went on to have other kids as dna trace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I agree. It's unconscionable that they kept quiet and watched why the Hayes were put through the wringer. It must be a source of great shame and regret to them. There is still the bad odour of the Garda investigation and all the facts need to be established at this stage, in the interests of respect for the force itself. This case is about much more than who killed wee baby John.

Advertisement