Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trans Woman School shooting TN

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,717 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Every elected official and lawmaker who doesn’t at least attempt to prevent it happening in future is complicit in the next one.

There’s good reason elected officials and lawmakers don’t make laws based solely upon that kind of daft emotionally manipulative nonsense - they’re not children.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm also for taking the trans part out of the title, if only to stop the people who seem to care more about the misgendering of this filthy animal who shot and killed 3x 9 year old children. Who gives an actual flying fluck what that identified as. It's dead. The world is better and no one should ever utter the name of that yoke again.

The mind boggles sometimes. And I don't even like children, but I see how messed up this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Very unusual for a woman to go postal like this. Heart breaking for the school kids and staff and the perpetrators family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

For anyone is interested this is the most level head opinion on causes and possible solutions to mass shootings I've heard.

It's very long though.

Paul Harell has spent his entire life, outside of military career (where he was a sports shooting champion add firearms instructor), in competitive shooting and training.

https://youtu.be/ihQ-j6eALGc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭McFly85

Well when this happens in other countries their officials and lawmakers ask themselves something - namely what can we do to stop this from happening again?

America does not. It throws around blame until something else dominates he new cycle. They’re trans. They listen to metal. They played counter strike. Some flimsy excuse that doesn’t get to the root cause of anything.

There is no political will to enact any legislation around guns. Biden can only issue an executive order because any legislation, even on something that has high bipartisan public support, like universal background checks, will ultimately be blocked by the republicans.

So yes, I think if you actively prevent legislative change on guns, even change that your constituents would broadly support, then you’re complicit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Just spitballing ideas but i see your point. I think it was in the columbine shooting where one of the guys bigger guns jammed guns jammed and he didnt know how to fix it so moved onto a handgun. Definitely happened in North Hollywood Shootout.

Has to be better ideas than locked doors and the quick response of " good guys with guns".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Americans are happy to continue with school shootings. As long as the 2nd amendment is safe the safety of children is irrelevant.

That attitude wont change and is ingrained in them as acceptable losses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

kinda bemusing to see the 'we should be scared of trans people as there's a slight possibility that the number of shooters who are trans is slightly higher than background noise' narrative being peddled; given that men are responsible for 97% of mass shootings. if you're going to focus on demographics, it's that figure which swamps all else.

i.e. men are 30 times as likely to perpetrate a mass shooting as women; even though the ratio between the sexes is as close to 50:50 as makes no difference.

but nope, it's trans people who are the dangerous ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Nothing anyone says on a website in Ireland is going to change anything about gun policy in America. There is always going to be guns there, that's just the way they are. They could have a ban on the sale of semi-automatic weapons and make it illegal to own them, this would help but is never going to happen. Sadly too many Americans see dead children as collateral damage in the right to own these weapons, personally I think its **** insanity. Imagine sending your children to school in America and not only having to worry about the usual stuff like will they have a good day, will they make friends, will they do well in exams etc, but having to worry about will they actually come home ??? That's the reality of it.

Nothing changed after Parkland, Uvalde etc so nothing will change now. They seem really focused on banning books, dead children can't read anything !!!

So we're just going to ignore the numerous school shootings that have been carried out by people who don't identify as transgender ??? There doesn't even seem to be a huge push to stop people with mental illness accessing guns, I accept some States may have stronger laws than others. It's beyond mental that Americans can have this amount of dead children at schools and there is no massive push for change. How many dead children is too many? I don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

Sadly, I think you're 100 percent correct, here.

If you think about it, they might as well just be honest about that instead of attempting to shift the burden of blame to their factors like video games. Realistically, what difference would it make? They still wouldn't pass any laws to change matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I know you weren't replying to my post but nobody here is saying to ignore the numerous school shootings that have been carried out by people who don't identify as transgender. The post you quoted certainly doesn't say it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

As ever, the devil is in the details. The overwhelming majority want background checks, but enough want only background checks that there's less support for what's being voted on.

They've not done it since, which I will condemn them for, but after Sandy Hook, multiple proposals for universal background checks were submitted by Congressional Republicans. Two I recall specifically, one was to give private sellers access to the same NICS telephone system that firearms dealers use. The other was to use apps, kindof like a 2FA system, which I thought rather clever, though I can see why there might have been a little less support for that one. That was all the proposals did. "If you want to sell a gun to another person, do this quick check on the spot." Few people have major issue with that. Some will, yes, there are always intransigents, but a definite minority.

Instead of going with what they could get, however, Democrats who had the majority, tried overreach, as they seem to often do on the matter. Four Republicans voted for the measure which was actually proposed, which required third parties, record-keeping and additional time and expense. Five Democrats voted against, more crossed the divide that way than Republicans for. (Though in fairness, it would have failed by one vote even if they had stayed with the majority).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

This has long been the fundamental issue. There's a justified lack of trust on both sides. Most legislation tends to be punitive, and performative, aimed for headlines rather than substance. See the Assault Weapons ban, or efforts at registration.

I would be in favor of licensing requirements, insurance requirements, school education on safe handling.

Better healthcare is its own issue, and the benefits would impact across multiple levels of society. Substantive efforts to tackle the poverty and social situations that drive crime in high violence communities is needed. So many things, but all we get is empty rhetoric and more dead bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Of course he could be still there, you know they have internet in America?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

This guy Razorfist laying it down on the medias reaction

The police were on the scene very quickly but still 6 dead. Not a day for anyone to be proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

It’s safe to say that the police team that arrived can be proud of how they fearlessly entered a building with a dangerous heavily armed person hiding in it, a person who’d already fired shots. The person was given numerous opportunities to surrender. She declined. In order to prevent further harm to the other occupants in the building they had no choice but to kill her. What do you suggest was a better approach? The police don’t have any input into lawmaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I definitely have very much respect for the police in this case but I just didnt see a meme comparing them with the Uvalde police in a simpsons meme as being appropriate given three kids died. I think it was a bad day where all the controls they have in place didnt work in preventing innocents dying.

• Advertisement

It was more the focus on the transgender issue to be honest. I can't see how it's any way relevant, except to deflect from the real and obvious issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I called him Incel Howard Stern. Because it is an incredibly accurate description.

Does that hurt your feelings?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Sure they can't make laws against the gun lobby, too powerful. And they donate massive amounts to politicians. So the cycle will never end. I always say that guns are America's blind spot, much like how Alcohol to excess is Ireland's blind spot. It is very hard to change a long held culture even if it is damaging. Especially when it is profitable.

It always makes me laugh that the solution given by many Americans in this situation is more guns, arm teachers, more security. Gun mass shootings are just the norm for Americans. In the majority's mindset.

Then they counter argue the banning guns/even heavy duty guns argument, 'with the right to bear arms' line (written back in frontier times). Plus they argue that there are so many guns in America already it would not make a difference. It would take hundreds of years before the guns are out of circulation. Then they argue that it will be only the criminals who will end up with guns. It is too culturally inbuilt. Then you have to factor in how militaristic America is. And how many have such an affinity with guns and weaponry. Hunting trips are common, a father son bonding experience etc.

And of course they use the silly line 'guns don't kill people, people do'. To which the reply from the other side normally is 'toasters don't toast bread, people do'

Guns are ubiquitous in America. I heard of a distant American relation getting a gun as present on his wedding day. The fella was only about 20! Everyone else was cheering. And my mother (Irish) who was attending. Her jaw dropped, she was shocked.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I listened to about 2 minutes of that video, between the shouting and the convoluted thought process and the exhibitionism and the swearing I couldn't make out what his argument was, I decided it didn't matter anyway and abandoned it.

I suggest you don't watch his 25 minute ranting and raving about how Bill Cosby is a victim video so.

Where do people find these absolute cretins?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The shootings are normally done by people with 'underlying issues'. It must be especially difficult being transgender. I have seen a programme on detransition people who claim that many TG have autistic traits, body image issues, and confusion over their sexuality - Gay - Lesbian.

But with regards to your point it would not surprise me if some boards smart alec. Came out with stats saying that school shootings are more per capita in the transgender community etc etc.

To me the main is America's main attitude to guns rather than the motives of a former student against the school they attended.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

No chance of that.

You don't really have to be found though , if you can set up a camera and do a bit of basic editing you find yourself. If you can sound angry enough and shout stuff without it really mattering whether people understand you, provided you throw in some appropriate/fashionable/edgy enough words and are totally confident about it, someone will listen to you and even think you are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Probably the most remarkable demonstration of the cognitive dissonance of it all is that American conservatives pose themselves as the defenders of children from this intangible notion of their sexualisation at the hands of loony Lefty Lib trans activists but seem to happily go along with the tangible demonstrable statistical reality of children being slaughtered in schools at the hands of people who can obtain weaponry with ludicrous ease.

It's mental. It's just intellectually exhausting at this point. Some Americans will cite the fear of a tyrannical government but happily acquiesce to the fear of literally any mad fecker in your town getting their hands on weapons that can slaughter children at the local primary school en masse. None of it ever makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Social media targets that stuff at stupid people. The social media companies have profiles on their users and if the data that they have on them indicates that the user is some form of imbecile or intellectually adjacent to an imbecile, videos such as that one will show up more often in their suggestions. This actually makes sense because youtube is all about keeping users watching and a simpleton might switch to another tab or go outside or even through a fit if they accidentally click on a video about the etymology of the word "the". Youtube knows that users who have been identified as imbeciles are more likely to continue watching if they're presented with a talking head ranting and raving confidently about something or other.

You're probably not being suggested that content because you haven't been flagged as an idiot. You can see what you're missing out on by opening a private window, heading over to youtube and searching for content that's been tagged internally as "for imbeciles". These tags aren't public and it's not obvious which content is tagged as such but I've had good results in the past by putting words like "jordan brand russell peterson astrology ufo's homeopathy" into the search field. I have a theory as well that you'll get even dumber stuff by misspelling your search terms but it's not easy to prove it, unfortunately. Anyway, if you do what I suggested, youtube will flag your temporary profile as "likely imbecile" and you'll get loads of that content that you've been missing out on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement