Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

GSTQ is the anthem of the UK, of which N.I. is part.

You said earlier today the Union Jack was the flag of "Britain". I corrected you, by pointing out to you it is the national flag of the United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland. As I said, it is so called because it combines the crosses of the three countries united under one Sovereign - the kingdoms of England and Wales, of Scotland and of Ireland (although since 1921 only Northern Ireland has been part of the U.K.).

Looking at the tricolours around the stadium, listening to anti-English rebel songs, and listening to AnaF......now I know you boasted that that was "inclusive" but I do not think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Here we are. In none other than francies bible, Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland%27s_Call

….and I know that won’t be enough either. It’s like trying to convince Ian Paisley that the free p church is conservative

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

NI has no official anthem. Fact.

GSTQ is used by some organisations but it quite simply isn't the anthem. It is the anthem of the England team who are also in the UK and is not the anthem of Scotland or Wales.

The Union flag is also not the official flag of NI, it doesn't have an official flag.

There is zero representation of the 'UK' on the Irish team. NONE. It is an all Ireland representative side.

The 1000's upon 1000's who support the all Ireland team, the many who have happily and magnificently played for it and the continued membership of the IRFU of northern clubs and province of Ulster begs to differ with you on 'inclusion'.

ha ha ha, that wicki doesn't even go to primary sources of the book. It just uses the Guardian article I posted as the source.

Francie your ‘not the official national anthem’ argument is dancing on the head of a pin. You have no problem with Irelands call being played which is not an official national anthem, but you couldn’t stomach my anthem being played - but yet you accuse my community of getting het up over a song. As you say it is only a song. Surely if it made me feel fully included you wouldn’t mind a wee song being played.

• Advertisement

Well here we go. The true francie. “There is zero representation of the 'UK' on the Irish team. NONE. It is an all Ireland representative side”. I can assure you that Rory best would tell you he is from the Uk. That post of yours says a lot.

man’s you argument collapses agian as you refer to the Uk anthem as the “anthem of the England team”. The England team play it because it is their national anthem. Wales and Scotland choose to play something that is not a national anthem. Yet you harp on about gstq cannot be played because - well I don’t know anymore

I know you don't like agreements where you have to compromise.

For the record here, I hate anthems, if I never had to stand for or hear one again, I would be happy. I feel similarly about flags.

If we have to have a new anthem for a UI, I will be campaigning for a lyricless one out of respect for everyone. The flag can be treated similarly as well.

The Ireland team does not represent the UK which GSTK is the anthem of. Simple as.

I am not aware of a rugby player who has turned down an Irish place because of the anthems or flag.

Sarcastic laughing sort of gives the game away.

He is from the UK, but the Irish team, as he understands, is not representing the UK.

I think Scottish and Welsh people would beg to differ on what their anthem is.

….and ss is not the anthem of the island of Ireland.

here’s the difference in you and me. I have worked tirelessly to try and stop gstq being played at OWC matches, but the ifa have no courage to face down the tiny hard rump, just like Ireland rugby and ss. Difference is you want to defend the playing of ss and you don’t give a toss about the feelings of people like me.

• Advertisement

And that is why Ireland's Call is played, to include those from Northern Ireland which doesn't have an anthem of it's own.

The height of arrogance. Francie is going to tell me what song includes me. Doesn’t matter what I feel, francie knows best. You couldn’t make it up.

As I said earlier, inclusion will never keep everyone happy, on either side. That is the reality, unfortunate as it is.

It's a shame and I feel sorry for you, as this is now a hugely successful team heading for a World Cup after winning a Grand Slam and you cannot get behind them. It is genuinely your loss.

I'm aware there are those who would happily watch as it all burns down and I make no apologies for being proud and protective of what has been achieved across most sports in Ireland. From golf to babminton to rugby.

Francie this discussion has zero to do with success or not. It is about the inability of republicans to take on any responsibility for division and their inability to see their own prejudice. Sad really. But it’s a case of ‘if you know, you know’ and clearly you don’t yet know. Hopefully someday

It’s not me trying to dismantle one of the most successful examples of inclusion in Ireland over a flag and a bit of music.

Here is another sporting success story local to me featuring what can happen when barriers are broken down and people come out of their bubbles. I know all the people interviewed here. Two members of my family have played for Rodney's team.

Coincidently featured on RTE today.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Kiteview

Based on reading the last posts, it would appear that the IRFU needs to be split in two so there’s no confusion about which jurisdiction the players represent - since people aren’t willing to compromise on either the old formula of play one anthem in Belfast and the other one in Dublin or the obvious alternative of play none at all.

That of course is what soccer did and I don’t think it did soccer any favours in either jurisdiction.

Of course my preference is that teams would represent countries. That shouldn’t be such a great surprise people. I have done the sums and 99.98% of people in the world operate they way I prefer, our island is the only exception I can find. Having said that, I would be very happy to support the current all-island two-country teams which span an international border, if there would be near-equal recognition to the identity of those living in each side of the border. It’s not an unreasonable request.

Or do some of you think that is an unreasonable request?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Right, after a number of pages tit-for-tat posts regarding anthems, flags, the IRFU and so on, I take it that we have finished up discussing the Assembly elections.

If people wish to continue discussing the election, then do so or I will close this thread the next time I open it.

With local elections coming up in May (just around the corner really) Unionist unity seems to be a distant dream. Multiple spats now taking place between key voices. It has already seemed to have jumped the shark with this contribution from Kate Hoey aimed squarely at the UUP which sparked a nasty row between Doug Beattie and Jamie Bryson etc

“If Stormont goes back with the present Windsor Framework, they in fact would be almost like what happened during the war with the Vichy government, where all those MLAs would be collaborators with a kind of colonial government."

With the Orange Order seemingly directing votes to the TUV if the DUP renege on going back into powersharing,(seems to me it is the implied messaging in their intervention on the WF Protocol) will the Unionist vote be completely fractured?

• Advertisement

Fractured or diverse?. The unionist community is coming through challenging days and therefore, rightly, is having internal conversations and disagreements. I have no concerns about the ‘unionist vote’, it is completely in agreement about the maintenance of the union. It’s actually the nationalist vote that is fractured on this issue. Polls show that many voting for nationalist parties actually support the union. You will be hard pushed to find any fracturing like this in unionist voters.

absolutely I couldn’t second guess at this time how unionists will vote in the next election. I personally am all over the place and would have valid reasons for voting for anyone of the three or none

UUP - as they were the party who did not support brexit and saw much of this mess coming and are close to my morals

DUP - they have stayed out of stormont and brought the eu and Uk to the negotiating table while all nationalist parties were calling for ‘full implementation’. These parties now accept the DUP got us a better deal.

TUV - a vote to show eu and Uk how opposed we are to protocol

none - a kick up the ass to them all

I could also give valid reasons not to vote for each.

so interesting times but I am confident unionism will be stronger because of these challenges.

so I don’t know how I will vote never mind other unionists

how do people think nationalists will vote. Same old, same old, or is there likely to be evolution and dynamism ?

To be perfectly honest downcow I think the idea that the DUP brought anyone to the negotiating table was scotched by how it all worked out. It was primarily rumblings from the ERG and internal Tory fighting that brought that about. As soon as Sunak found a way to subdue/sideline the ERG, Unionism was thrown as firmly as could be, under the bus. 515 wheels v 29.

Also, the notion it is a better deal is contested within Unionism:

Sammy Wilson briefing too that it is 'not a great deal'.

How widespread would you say the quandary you are in, is? And which of the parties do you think will win most hearts and minds locally?

P.S. I don't see similar huge issues facing the nationalist vote, so wouldn't expect much of a shift. SDLP seem to be having some candidate issues and I can't fathom why they are sticking with Eastwood. He'll be watching how they perform nervously I'd imagine.

Oh I know you wouldn’t admit to thinking the dup achieved much. I have heard a number of nationalist politicians and republican commentators admitting that the dup done a ‘good’ job and achieved significant movement.

Just quoting what is actually being said in Unionism about the deal and responding to what actually happened.

You would admit yourself that Unionist opposition has not subsided but once the ERG got sidelined the UK has very firmly moved on. That just doesn't square with the DUP having much sway without the ERG.

Not gonna argue about it. It's all about how you see things I suppose.

The DUP seem to have kicked the ball on the WF down the road until after the Local Elections and there seems to be a lot of conflict within Unionism as that election approaches.

That is why I asked; How widespread would you say the quandary you are in, is? And which of the parties do you think will win most hearts and minds locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

So what do the DUP's supporters actually want them to do before they go back into government? If they want the UK Government to renegotiate the NIP again there seems zero chance of that. The DUP seem to be taking a win and presenting it is as a loss to their own supporters.

They presumably want NI to be treated the same as the rest of the U.K. wrt the EU which is - from their perspective - a reasonable position.

The DUP have been Eurosceptic down through the decades so their opposition to the EU isn’t a new thing.

My expectation for is same old, same old on all sides of the political spectrum.

I’d like to see an increase in votes for the Alliance across NI (not just in the constituencies that historically elected or still elect unionists). I fear that voters on both sides might increase the votes for the more extreme parties.

I see very little to no sign of the “normalisation” of politics in NI that the GFA was supposed to deliver when it was signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yeah, but there's a tension between those two positions. A hard Brexit in which NI is treated in the same way as GB is not politically possible — the cost to UK would be too great, so the UK government will not go there. So you can have hard Brexit, or you can have Brexit on uniform terms across the UK; you have to decide which of these two objectives you prioritise. A refusal to prioritise one over the other is effectively a decision to let someone else set the priority.

If we look at what they do rather than what they say, DUP have all along prioritised hard Brexit over the position of NI within the union, and they have aligned themselves with, and supported, GB politicians who also prioritise hard Brexit over the position of NI within the union. From a unionist point of view, this has been little short of disastrous, and its something that I think unionists are entitled to be very angry about. If the leading unionist party is not willing to prioritise the union and to demand that Westminster also prioritise it, who will?

Post edited by Peregrinus on

While the internecine tribulations of Uniomism will be fascinating in the next election the real indicator will be the level of support for the WF or opposition.

Jeffrey will be closely watching how much support bleeds to the TUV and to the pro devolution UUP and Alliance before making any decisions.

• Advertisement

This I agree with even though itS not comfortable for me to accept it is true. I am in company often where to oppose brexit makes you appear disloyal. This is a helpful way for people like me to frame it in such company ie that dup and TUV have prioritised brexit over the union. It’s a good challenge to them which I will use. You may say that it should be obvious but sometimes any of us can to to close to the wood to see the trees

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement