Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kellie Harrington. Was she hung out to dry or did she hang herself out to dry?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

It's not about being unable to express yourself. It's about being sneaky and using the third-level vocabulary that the middle class sporting press like to overly reach towards to make their watching-a-ball-going-around-a-field jobs oh so important.

People go to sporting events and look to sport stars to get away from politics and religion. Sport is at its worst where supporters have made religion and politics a major part of the experience.

There are times when deep investigation and challenge is warranted such as MTK. Even then, this is usually beyond the remit of the sports journalist and crime reporters take over. Not always but more than not.

There are political journalists for a reason because they're trained in it (although the standards of journalism in this country, across the board, are very poor. When do you ever see something this good in an Irish newspaper: The U.S. Volunteers in Ukraine Who Lie, Waste and Bicker - The New York Times (nytimes.com) ). Sports journalists are not trained in political journalism. And there is a real problem, from the middle-class political chortles of Second Captains to OTB who love to laud working-class heroes when it suits them and then absolutely crucify them when aspects of their lives come to light that they find distasteful and unbecoming to their middle-class morals and education that they can afford that working-class people cannot. They are unable to understand the difference that their lives have afforded them in terms of morality. For instance, the most extreme example, imagine growing up the son of John Fury - a man who once gouged a man's eye out in a car park over a twenty year feud. OTB and Second Captains love to **** on Tyson Fury. But there's a reason why he wanted to top himself even when he was at his most successful, famous, and rich. These lads don't know what struggle is or being an outsider is.

Kellie doesn't want to be professional or an insider, she wouldn't know how. She doesn't play the game because she doesn't know the rules. That's why they feel so comfortable in going after her. (Insert Gavan's machete here)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Clare in Exile

Both Kellie and Shane have made mistakes on this one. As others have said, she should have been prepped with some lines if the question she was asked ever arose. The way she dealt with it made things worse, but that probably comes back on the PR person.

Shane has not come out of this well, and it's a harsh lesson for him to learn. His attempt to delete historic tweets, then put together some kind of redeeming PR statement has only served to deepen the hole he is digging.

His statement mentions having a chat with his 16 year old self, which is obviously an attempt to portray an image of a young teenager letting off steam online. The fact is there is a tweet from when he was 20, a student in University, that casts a very poor light on him. He is in danger of tangling himself up in a web of untruths and is coming across quite hypocritical.

The lesson from all of this is don't put anything up online that you can't defend in public. Hopefully both Kellie and Shane can move on from this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭crusd

Third level vocablary?

“I know you’ve had a number of interactions on social media that have suggested you have strongly held views on immigration,”

Really complex vocabulary isn't it!

Kelly Harrington has shown herself to be thoughtful, smart and measured in media appearances over a number of years, so its actual snobbery on your behalf to suggest, due to her background, that she wouldn't be able to offer an answer to the above question.

And again, all she needed to say was she "immediately reacted to an emotive story but on reflection decided to delete the tweet as it did not represent her views, next question"

Sure the poor girl from the inner city doesn't have the edumaction to answer to her own opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Yeah yeah yeah yeah. Anybody can take one sentence out of an exchange to make a ridiculous point. Best of luck on your point scoring mission.

• Advertisement

There was no language used that was complex or using "third level vocabulary"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Come on ffs.

I just think it is wrong to beat people because of their sexuality. Some people disagree with that, vehemently so in some cases.

In my previous post I said how I was giving Shane Hannon the benefit of presuming that his change in views was genuine and not just as a result of publicity, as many less trusting people have said.

It is just basic common sense that people from the LGBT would take additional precautions around people who have advocated violence in the past.

Her opinion was it was sad a girl was murdered

He tweeted things before he was media trained and trained to play the game and so did Kellie. Line drawn … let’s move on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnFearCeart

Watched the interview - fair play to Kellie, smelt the rat a mile off and was dead right in her response. Nothing to answer for. Time alot of these "journalists" who are basically the new Bishops on the other side of the pendulum need to be told where to get off - the absolute state of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,612 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

He should be fired if he doesn't resign for the hypocrisy of his own tweets.

He tried to ambush a regular person who didn't get all the advantages he got in life, deliberately to deprive her of some minor sponsorship and benefit his own woke credentials and career. Yet he'll never achieve a fraction of what she achieved.

Fu^k him. He deserves to have it backfire 100% unceremoniously on himself. I hope he is where he belongs - on the dole - before the week is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

I'm afraid the attempt by mostly anonymous racist and transphobic twitter accounts to get a guy fired for a few stupid tweets he posted when he was a young fella, looks to be fizzling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Sono Topolino

Is this April Fools? He was a dope of a "lad" ten years ago, when he was 16 years of age. Nobody gives a crap what anyone thought or said when they were in college, let alone secondary school once they have left it. Michael D Higgins used to be in Ógra Fianna Fáil - people make weird decisions when they are at an impressionable age. It is expected that people change their views radically between the ages of 16 and 26. The entire purpose of extended adolescence is to let people **** up and learn from it without significant consequences in the hope that it will make them better, more thoughtful adults. If Shane or anyone else in their mid 20s acted the same as they did when they were 16, I would have serious questions.

By contrast, Kellie's tweet was in October 2022, less than six months ago. Reminder: if she had simply said "I am sorry", this thread would either not exist or at least be significantly shorter.

You need to stop pushing his subsequent lies. It has been established that some of said publishings were when he was almost 20 and a student in UCD.

Whataboutery won't wash here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Calling attention to his tweets from 2010/2013 when he was a teenager is the dictionary definition of whataboutery.

Maybe stick to making shït, unfunny jokes in After Hours, I’d say that’s more your speed.

He is a hypocrite. As is anyone who supports him.

Especially ones with signatures such as your own!

“Whatabout, whatabout”

Whether he is a hypocrite or not (he isn’t) is actually immaterial when it comes to Kellie Harrington.

Look up the definition of "whataboutery". You are using it like someone who saw it being used once and thought "that must be smart, even though I can't understand it" and have continued to use it blindly every since.

Hannon deserves to lose his job for his tweet. According to his own standards which he professes to hold.

• Advertisement

I don’t need to look up the definition of whataboutery, I’m talking to you right now. 🤣

Trawling through Hannon’s tweets from when he was a teenager to discredit him after the Harrington interview is classic whataboutery. You know it, I know it, everybody reading this thread knows it.

He should be dismissed regardless of whether he interviewed Harrington or not. It just happens that it was that interview that exposed his hypocrisy. And the hypocrisy of those with virtue signalling little signatures who support him for espousing such views. Which he did as an adult. And did so at a time when society viewed such opinions as wrong.

Hmm I don’t think that interview did expose his hypocrisy, it did expose Harrington’s though.

That did spur on the “wharrabout” internet detectives to trawl through his Twitter feed, though, only to find nothing except some distasteful tweets from when he was a teenager. That’s all you can “wharrabout wharrabout” with and not a single person has been fooled. 😆

Genuinely, stick to not being funny in AH. As bad as you are at that, it’s better than you trying to post in a genuine debate. So bad. 🤣

Perhaps stick to virtue-signalling signatures rather than posting guff that exposes your own hypocrisy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Did you see the article 'Time has come for Kellie Harrington to get off the fence and tell us what she truly thinks about immigration' by Ellen Coyne

A quick scan of her social media accounts confirms that as recently as January, she liked social media posts which were critical of immigration.

She liked a post from senator Sharon Keogan opposing the use of community halls or sports facilities as shelter for asylum-seekers.

She backed a post calling for an “open and honest” conversation about immigration.

Harrington also appeared to be sympathetic to demonstrations against accommodation for asylum-seekers in Lismore, Co Waterford and Ballymun in north Dublin.

That we found ourselves examining Twitter likes, in an attempt to figure out her views, was sub-optimal.

But in the absence of a clear answer from the woman herself, this is the best we had to go by.

Ridiculous carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

People are happy to say it about men all the time....

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Sono Topolino

I have just seen that she also liked a tweet supportive of an anti-refugee protest outside an accommodation centre in Ballymun in January. Now I happen to think that protesting outside of peoples homes (even if they are temporary homes) is pretty reprehensible behaviour. If you want to protest the Government’s immigration policy, protest outside the Dáil and complain to your TD about it. In any case, it would appear that Kellie Harrington has pretty far-right views about immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

But...but...she is a national treasure?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,689 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Thanks for that Breaking News report and pouring your heart out to the nation Sono.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement