Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Calves 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

I was on a Ryanair to Faro last year. A couple of big stags and big hen party onboard. It was Bedlam, cabin crew were terrified. A few arrested when we landed. I'd take the 1000 calves any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Surely they have the sums done on this and know it can work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

If it costs 200/ calf that grand let the dairy farmer arrive in the mart with 1k euro with every 6-7 Friesians bull calves. I probably go back to rearing them myself at that.

Na, u still wouldn't be happy. Understand that the meat processors will just knock that thousand euro right off the other end. Primary producers are bottom of the heap, just accept that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I thought you used to do a bit at the horsey job but maybe I'm mistaken. I didn't know that about them exporting horse's to America but anything is possible. There's a man not far from here sending lots of riding types to the continent but it's all lorries and ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

No you're not mistaken. Area here is rife with thoroughbreds too. A real success story of a job in the area. Farms bought on the success of horses. Fodder imported from France. Roads are red with horseboxes between training days and general purpose trucking. Jim Derwin was a great man up on the way to your country for the exporting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Don't know anything about flying horses or cattle, I know a lad who worked for Coolmore and he used to be on planes flying horses to USA and Australia. I recall him saying they needed to sedate some of them as some would be nervous flyers. There was special planes for it and as far as I know it was only out of Shannon that they would fly. But if a horse was going to the continent then they all went by road and sea as it was only a fraction of the cost plus he would say it wasn't near as stressful on the horse. You would think if the calves were in crates & loaded on and off then in less than 10 hours they were at their final destination that it would be good for them, but I would guess the cost would be astronomical to charter a plane to transport calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,664 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think cost will be the barrier as well. Air cargo is really limited to high value JIT transit a lot of the time.

Loading and unloading will add to the cost. While crating might seem the solution to loading, when you unload you will need to bring a load of crates back again which have to be loaded empty into the returning plane

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Some wet Friday afternoon calculations.

A Boeing 737 that carries 180 passenger's, can carry over 20 tonnes in freight spec, say 300 calves and the crate's for them. The average Ryanair fare in 2022 was 40 Euro, plus whatever they sell onboard, so 8000 per journey leg, of income, calves could probably be air freighted to Europe for 30 - 40 Euro if there was a reasonable turn around time, and some sort of a back load.

Passengers walk on and off a plane. Ryanair have a turn around time of about 40 minutes on planes. They have passengers nowadays checked into flight and standing on a stairs or at a door ready to board.

The back load is the crates the calves came in, unless you are going to buy completely new crates every load. It takes about 30 minutes to load or unload a full load of fertlizer, 14 pallets.

Ya you can speed it up by having an extra sets of crates that are cleaned and ready for reloading.

Cannot see total cost being less than 150/calf if it goes ahead.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Have to keep checking that it’s not April fools day yet, such nonsense, they’ll be using drones to fly them over next.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Derwin handles a lot of stock and has outlets for nearly everything with a mane and a tail. The man I was mentioned used to be a sheep dealer but quit them totally in the last few years and solely at horses now. It's a tough business to be and more of a way of life really with the level of effort involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

One thing I am assuming that would be another issue is the department vets on site in the airport to inspect the calves on arrival at their, detention pens and all the associated back up that would be need for checking calf passports. I know there would be no such facilities in Dublin airport and I would assume very few airports are set up on a constant basis to handle this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Lios67

Looking for a bit of advice, I want to sell calves tomorrow and haven’t got text regarding bvd. I checked icbf and showing negative. Is it ok to go to the mart without receiving the text. Thanks

Take a screenshot of your calves on icbf showing that they are negative on your phone.

But I reckon you should be ok. The mart gets their info on calves through the system and icbf. It's not like they receive a text like you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Are you sure the marts get there info from icbf cause i had this problem last year and animal health Ireland are also involved in the process can not remember exactly who notifies mart

Well they are getting it from some system. It flags up if they are not tested or positive.

If I was @Lios67 I'd tell them tomorrow when the calves are being taken in and show them the screenshot and about the text. I'd be 99% if it's on icbf negative it's on the marts system.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Check animal eligiblity for a movement permit on agfood.if they are good to go your good to go

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Will exporters resume buying immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

The few I have left were collected late last night, so I'm assuming they're on the road today, if not already gone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,603 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Friday I was told, that's the normal day for around here

A local farmer told me yesterday of a big dairy farmer locally who loads calves into a cattle trailer soon enough after birth, drops them with other farmers with a few drums of biestings. Some of these calves would still be wet. No payment for calves until later in the year....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Some quare carryings-on around the country now, the New Zealand influence has scarred our proud dairy farming culture.

That said those calves probably have a better chance where they're going, and the farmer knows it, better than a lot of other stories.

In reality it is a great system the dairy farmer should be giving the calves for free at the least ,considering what calves are making at the mart!!!

Yes it's a good idea BUT not legal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

From 2005 onwards the minute large numbers of dairy ag students who are now today's farmers got indoctrinated to the booby calf system when out their on placement that dye was cast, now co-ops are bringing in over the top rules for 2024 to force the above to change their ways, but of course the 95% of dairy farmers who were doing their calves half right are now caught having to comply aswell, will the co-ops actually suspend milk supply from next year to lads who don't follow the rules is another hornets nest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

You suspend once and for one the marker stone is set, every one then knows it clear.

Now the decisions are being made for the calves of next year. As a calf to beef farmer I hope that the beef sub index of sire is being considered not just picking of the DBI index

Advertisement