Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

With the best will in the world the guys installing the fibre are sub-contractors and have little to no visibility of the overall plan. They will tend to tell you what you want to hear. You don't really have much option but to wait for NBI to update your status to live, which hopefully should not take too long if the surrounding area is live.

Out of interest have you checked your Eircode recently on eir.ie and siro.ie as both have fibre coverage in the new build estates in Bettystown? They both tend to arrive more quickly to new build estates than NBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MrT_Barry

I thought as much but it's just annoying knowing that technically you are set-up but there's just no way to get someone to come out and install until it's showing as "ready" on the sales side.

SIRO actually went in through the ESB hole about 2 weeks ago. I spoke to them at the time too and they said it's usually around 5 weeks until sales will allow you to order. Still nothing on the SIRO website and no internet at all available to order on any reseller sites.

The guy from SECTO actually said he was from OpenEir so I called Eir originally but was told it must have been NBI as once the house is showing as covered under the NBI website Eir won't touch it. Both Eir and SIRO are installed in the previous phase about 50m from me :(

The problem seems to be just getting any information as the people on sales stop just short of telling you your house doesn't exist because it's not on their map yet. Was wondering if anyone with a similar experience managed to get anywhere.

The bit about eir not touching it because of NBI inclusion is demonstrably false. All you have to do is look around your own area. Whitefield is due NBI and Openeir and Siro have covered it months ago, same with Dun Eimear, Cois na Mara, Roslyn etc. Openeir and Siro will build where it makes financial sense for them to so and high density new estates fit that bill. The fact that the estates are included in the NBP is irrelevant, there is no impediment for a company to build where they wish to. I have highlighted this before as one of the flaws with the plan in that NBI are wasting time and money passing new builds that the other companies are getting to more quickly.

In your case the Secto guy was likely working for Openeir and your home will eventually covered by three separate fibre networks. I suggest regularly checking your Eircode on eir.ie, siro.ie and nbi.ie as it is now a case of which network is made available to you first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MrT_Barry

That's good to know, cheers for that. I figured that the information Eir gave me was wrong there, you would imagine the guy from SECTO was correct in who he was working for :D

I actually got a call from DigiWeb today as I had enquired and he told me something very similar in that I would likely get OpenEir or SIRO before anything. I would like to go with them if I could for the modem they offer but kind of stuck on this mobile broadband contract now so the only to upgrade that would be to take out a contract with Eir.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for some sort of update in the next few weeks anyway - some great offers right now for new customers and broadband. Just annoying people are left waiting for a datasheet to get filled and updated before being able to order or get any sort of date at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

Castlerea DA being built at the moment. ducts being laid. on target for Q4 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Have had fiber nearly a year perfect until tonight when the internet keeps cutting out every 15 mins currently with Vodafone, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cosbawn

Hi I’m living in the Tawley area of Leitrim. Does anyone know the name of the contractors putting in the cables ? Dimension or Diversion something like that ? Is this NBI or something else does anyone know. When I went out this afternoon to ask they were gone. They seem to have been working on all the properties down the road except mine

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Diffusion probably.

What were they doing, rolling out fibre along the poles, installing distribution boxes?

One distribution box can serve up to 12 premises iirc from info posted here recently.

I wouldn't panic as the install crew will run fibre from the distribution box all the way to the house once the rollout is complete and goes live for service.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

There is a chance you are on the border of a deployment area. my area went available recently for preorder, but my neighbour on the same road about 500m away is not due for connection until late 2025.

Did you do an eircode check on nbi website? If it says Network Build in Progress and Anticipated date for connection:July 2023 - December 2023. Then no need to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I saw NBI are doing work in Drogheda on the old Dublin road near the Black Bull Inn. This area would surely be well served already but it could be to get a feed from there to another area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

There are 4 houses at the end of our road near the sea and no other houses within about a Km that don't have fibre. The last Eir fibre pole is 400m up the road. From looking at the NBI site our connection is coming from a totally independent location 17Km away. Obviously they aren't just doing us but because Eir are cnuts leaving tiny pockets of users it must costing far more than necessary for the NBI rollout.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cosbawn

Thanks for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Congratulations to David Stanton TD for his persistence. And some useful information on when new premises can be included in the NBI build plan.

Thursday, 2 March 2023

David Stanton (Cork East, Fine Gael) 142. To ask the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment if he will provide an update on his Department's engagement with National Broadband Ireland on identifying and including in the national roll-out new-build premises that have been constructed in, or adjacent to, areas where the NBI network has been established; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [10630/23]

Eamon Ryan (Dublin Bay South, Green Party) All new build premises in the State Intervention Area are covered under the National Broadband Plan (NBP) Project Agreement.

NBI identify new premises via Geo-directory Updates which are added to the NBP Intervention Area on a quarterly basis. NBI then undertake an assessment of the new premises and determine what is required for them to be connected to the NBI network in the area. Depending on the outcome of that assessment process the premises may be part of a future planned build programme, or there may be additional work required to connect the property to the network if the network build has already begun. The assessment will determine the date for final connection

Tuesday, 21 March 2023

David Stanton (Cork East, Fine Gael) 216. To ask the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment when the details of a new build premises (details supplied) are expected to be formally transmitted by his Department to National Broadband Ireland (NBI) for inclusion under the National Broadband Plan rollout; when he expects the premises to be connected to the NBI network thereafter; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [13815/23]

Eamon Ryan (Dublin Bay South, Green Party) ... Commercial operators have recently indicated their plans to supply Gigabit services to all premises in the BLUE area of the NBP Map as part of their commercial network rollouts. However, due to the specifics of this premises, in terms of its location and high-speed broadband provision in the surrounding areas it has been decided that this premises will be reclassified and served by NBI under the National Broadband Plan.

The premises referred to in the question is indicated as being in the BLUE area however, a detailed analysis undertaken by the Department’s technical team has confirmed that this premises is not currently capable of obtaining high-speed broadband through commercial means. As a result this premises needs to be reclassified and this process requires a formal change followed by an update to broadband maps. Fibre broadband should be available to order within 6 months of the premises appearing on the NBI broadband map.

Tuesday, 21 March 2023

David Stanton (Cork East, Fine Gael) 165. To ask the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment further to Parliamentary Question No. 142 of 2 March 2023, when a new build premises (details supplied) is expected to be assessed for connection to the NBI network; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [12571/23]

Eamon Ryan (Dublin Bay South, Green Party) As advised in Parliamentary Question 142 on 2 March 2023, all new build premises in the State Intervention Area are covered under the National Broadband Plan (NBP) Project Agreement.

NBI advise that the premises referred to in the question has recently been included in their rollout plan. As network build works have commenced in the area, connection works for this premises will be undertaken following completion of the existing rollout works programme.

NBI further advise that the anticipated date for connection for this premises is within the next 3 months. This timeframe is subject to change because in some cases NBI may need to complete a survey and provide additional infrastructure build works prior to connecting a newly built premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TruthEnforcer

I live on a small byroad close to Castlebar town and according to NBI's mapping the 3 houses (including ours) are eligible for connection !

For the last year and a half, everytime I check the progress, I get the same message ..

"Network Build in Progress and Anticipated date for connection:XXXX 2022 - XXXX 2022. 

It now shows up as "Network Build in Progress and Anticipated date for connection: May 2023 - July 2023. 

It's ONLY 3 house's .. I met a fella who works for Circet (contractors for NBI) and he told me that all of Castlebar has been completed ??

Last October, a fella from Vodaphone called to the house, and in anticipation of the then upcoming connection, he got the three house owners to 'sign up' with them for the service... but I haven't heard anything form Vodaphone since ?

Is the problem that there's only 3 house involved ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

We've gone from Jul-Dec 23 connection date to available for pre-order now. A few miles out the Castlebar road from Newport. I'll assume we're still a few months away as they haven't brought the fibre from the pole to our house yet.

Fibre run from pole to house happens on day of install.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Poles run the far side of the main road. Fibre is up on them but hasn't linked across to the pole at the top of our driveway yet.

Done first thing yesterday morning. Luckily it's the same provider for us.

Fibre will be run directly from the nearest distribution box via the pole on your driveway on the day. Each distribution box can connect up to 12 premises iirc.

An obstacle on the day could be overhanging branches along the fibre route.

each distro box has up to 12 fibre ports already pre assigned, one for each eircode. most boxes out the country only connect 3-4 premises due to spacing

• Advertisement

I wasn't too sure about the 12 ports because when the original (eir?) rollout occurred here I was told there was some issue over the number of ports on each distro box and that they only had 4 ports on each. This is just local gossip so I wouldn't be sure of how many ports they have, if its what the installers actually said then it could also be that they were just looking for excuses which seemed plentiful.

No trees or branches to worry about and the duct carrying the copper line is free, they can use the copper line to pull the fibre if needed.

There'll only be 3 of us coming off this DP and not much chance of any new builds popping up either.

I might start pulling the cat6 through the house this week so and be half ready for install. The entry point is at the wrong side of the house so I'm going to have to put a few access points through the place.

Few different versions available. 12 port most common but 8/16 & 24 also available. This one is a 3M 24

once you see these bad boys appearing, time to start celebrating !

Does anyone know of a table/ spreadsheet that exists which compares the different offerings / prices/ contract lengths etc ? I know the offers change but perhaps it exists?

Would also like if the type of router is mentioned.....long shot perhaps

Does this help from switcher.ie? I've ticked all the boxes for the link and you need to click Show More Details to get them all on one page. Nothing too specific about routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Ducting laid last few weeks ago at pole opposite my house, neighnours eithe side of me have access to broadband with years but since im new house the pole outside my house was skipped so nbi installed ducting to main dp pole that all older houses are attached to other day. Says network build in progress and jul-dec24 connection, any hope of it being quicker? was told by nbi i was one of a few houses that were missed by network providers originally. Also will they do ducting along my lawn or will that be up to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

I had a pre-order in with Digiweb last week and today it says "Ready to Connect"

I keep fearing the worst? Should this be quite quick to get connected now?

Thanks

In a rural area in the NBI and Openeir networks four ports (ie available connections) for each distribution point is the most common. This is due to how both networks are built. One fibre strand from the exchange is fed into a 1:8 splitter, your original one fibre is now eight fibres, these eight fibre strands are fed into eight 1:4 splitters. Your one original fibre stand is now capable of serving 32 premises. One 1:4 splitter is in the majority of distribution points which is where the four available ports comes from. The number of physical output connections on the 3M boxes is irrelevant and means nothing. The Openeir box pictured above was the standard one used across their rural build. NBI use different sized boxes but again the physical outputs don't tell the full story.

There are some exceptions, for an estate a DP might have eight connections, or drops as they are known, available. A very isolated premises might have one drop available from a DP. I have never seen twelve drops from a DP on the NBI network and it makes no sense if you think about trying to connect twelve drop cables to a pole that likely has legacy copper cables on it. The design will try to minimise the effort an installer has to go to in order to connect a premises.

On Eircodes, an Eircode can have multiple connections or drops or ports associated with it. It is not as simple as saying each Eircode gets one connection. Close to 20% of Eircodes in the NBI network will have more than one connection available to it. The most common scenario here is a home and farm that share the same Eircode. Both the home and the farm will have separate connections available.

Your house will have been surveyed and a connection type assigned to it. If there is a pole outside your premises it is quite possible they will have assigned you an overhead or aerial connection. If you want an underground connection when NBI have assigned you an overhead connection it will likeely be up to yourself to provide ducting to the pole. Did your builder not provide ducting to the nearest pole?

If your area is truly live you should be connected within ten working days, I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Not sure if this is a typo in a recent Dáil PQ

The NBP network build that commenced in 2020 is scheduled to be completed by 2027.

Advertisement